I'm the most purist fan me

ariotofmyown

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

but how do you change the stats going forward in order to get promotion, Keep sacking managers until you find one who can achieve what the other 3 or 4 couldn't achieve?  I don't have an answer but sacking them doesn't appear to be a solution

My view is that you need to have a vision of what kind of team we want to be and how we want to play.....then get the staff,coach,scouts etc that know and understand that vision,so that it can be implemented to a system....then if you need to change manager,you know what kind of manager you need and can be consistent each time,preventing what we have seen happen at derby countless times.

But is gary to be the start of that process?...Do we really want derby to be playing in his style for generations to come?

Or do we get rid and start again with a manager who suits us and we can build on with an attractive,free flowing type of football,involving  the academy who can then turn out players who seamlessly fit into our system?

Isn't that what we are trying to achieve,long term sustainable success playing the derby way?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

Think you miss the point.

What we are seeing at the moment is not gary Rowetts philosophy

Its his tactics of choice given the players he has at his disposal. Unlike Warnock, and unlike The Fulham manager,

GR changes things when its not working and is open to different styles of play. he isnt dependant on getting the right players to fit a system which he never deviates from.

Jager

you are joking surely?

He changes thing's?.....firstly,how many games when we are struggling has he waited until the 70th minute in an effort to shake things up?...And then it's often too late.

How many times have we heard him say,post match,that he nearly played this player or that one,or he nearly tried this system or that?

We have essentially changed our formation once this year and that was only after a dreadful run of games where gary had no choice but to try something or risk getting the boot.

And gary has had this season plus a good part of the last one to get players in or get his current choices to play as he wants them too....he clearly had no issues with sending players out who suited macs,but then wasn't able to get their replacements operating as he wished.

This style of play are a combination of Gary's choices alone and his philosophy,let's not make excuses for him.

11 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Who considers themselves the best purist fan?  

People used to show off about been the most committed fan, never miss a game, go home and away, support the team through thick and thin. Philistines!

Now the bestest fans are the ones whose ingrained belief of a certain type of football is more important than winning.

They have watched the great Barca and Spanish sides and know that this is the only way to play football and be succesful. Man City have shown us this year what you can achieve purely by playing football the right and only way. Even Wolves this season managed to cobble together a team who did something similar.

I'm so pure that I don't recognise results from team who don't play in the style that god intended. Leicester never won the league, Cardiff are still in the Championship and we've got zero points for that horrific 5-0 'win' vs Hull this season. This years champions league final has been cancelled.

My two stupid kids have got really into following Derby and hilariously had a good time I took them to the matches at home to Forest and Bolton. What hope do we have when young kids favour results over footballing correctness.

We are the famous Derby County for Pep's sake, famous all over the world for our beautiful football and huge success it brings, like in Steve Mac's first season where we thrilled the land with our totally world class football and will remain my keystone now forever more.

I'm so happy we lost last night as football won, and what's the point in supporting a team and caring about results.

Fkin love football, fkin love football, playing in the sky, wanna makes we die, fkin love football.

Switch the sentiment of this around and it wouldn't have been much different.

It misses the point wildly though. It's not that playing ugly football means that you'll never achieve anything, and nobody is suggesting that. But the overwhelming majority of successful teams at most levels attempt to play passing, possession based football. I know this is awkward for some, but it's a fact nonetheless.

No, possession isn't the same as goals, and it's not guarantee of them either. But it does make it more likely that you'll score if you have more of the ball. Likewise the common repost of "Yeah, so what if we only had one shot on target the whole game? We won, that's all that counts". In that instance, yes, that is all that counts. However, if you have more shots you're more likely to score. If you keep playing games with the emphasis on keeping the opposition out and trusting that your one shot will go in, you're probably going to be disappointed. That's not opinion, it's basic probability.

So this is a bit of a strawman argument. And it's not that funny; wit has truth in it.

Name one side who's been succesful playing this style of football ??? some people said Leicester??? are you taking the piss??? i don't remember them playing like that when Mac took us there and we got beat  in the season they won it i think...there is no comparison....

Went to the gym today and someone said they bet the prem league is having a huge sigh of relief today that such a negative team didn't make it up to the prem.

Fulham play football and no matter what anyone says our football has been dire for most of this season, I actually think our players should be proud of themselves for the effort they' ve put in over the two games and no one can say they didn't give it there all...

GR after the game blamed our defence for two mistakes.....he's right, they were mistakes but over the two games our defence and keeper have been brilliant so give it a rest eh GR!!!

How about trying to have a few more attempts on goal Gary!!! 2 in 2 games is pathetic and if i were a defender i'd be dissapointed that the defence is supposed to withstand wave after wave of attacks and be watertight but our attack and efforts on goal don't matter!!!

GR is probably the most negative manager we've had to be honest and if you dare voice your concerns on here you're deemed to be a crap fan or moany or know nothing about the game....I have eyes I watch football and for me the way we play is not good enough!! simple....no one is going to make me change my mind because i see what i see and go to games.

If you had a coaching session with kids you would't say get everyone behind the ball, defend for your lives and try and nick one on the break....You'd want them to express themselves and control the ball and create chances and be on the front foot so I'm not buying into this dull defensive crap!!

Lets see in the world cup what teams are succesful and if they attack or sit with everyone behind the ball conceding possesion and giving the ball away all the time ....I feel a bit sorry for Davies and Carson especially because they did not deserve to be on the losing side but interesting that Davies has said today that the best team won.

Maybe just maybe we will be one of the best teams next season but with GR's philosophy i very much doubt it, get some youngsters in and get us playing football Gary because it looks like you're going nowhere....because we want stability and don't want to be chopping and changing managers all the time now...do we ??..........?

2 hours ago, AdamRam said:

Get over what, you don’t like someone disagreeing with your opinion, that’s what happens on a forum I’m afraid.  

You think there are signs of a good team, others do not, you beleive that GR can take us foward, others do not, I thought other than the a handful of games the season was tedious, boring and we never stood a chance of beating Fulham with a manager who wasn’t prepared to attack and best hopes were keeping two clean sheets. 

I wasn't telling you to get over it, I was saying it to the style of 'support'er I refered to in my original post.

Nowhere do I mention about not wanting debate or disagreement.

I'm arguing against the fundamentalist and purist position, where everything is garbage because everthing isn't utterly brilliant.

We had it for years when Clough was here. We've had it again since Steve Mac's first season.

43 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I wasn't telling you to get over it, I was saying it to the style of 'support'er I refered to in my original post.

Nowhere do I mention about not wanting debate or disagreement.

I'm arguing against the fundamentalist and purist position, where everything is garbage because everthing isn't utterly brilliant.

We had it for years when Clough was here. We've had it again since Steve Mac's first season.

Some posters on here if you are referring to the one I think are here to wind people up, they will change their argument to suit their agenda, when you don’t have any affiliation with the club it’s easy to do.

I really wish we had got the result to take us to Wembley, and it’s thin lines between success and failure, however I do feel that after leading 1 nil after the first leg we missed a golden opportunity.  Only one club has overturned a first leg deficit, and yet we managed to make it 2, mainly because we didn’t try to build in that first leg advantage.  We knew Fulham had to score, surely the best opportunity to hurt them was when they had to attack, GR talked about composure yet we lacked conviction when we attacked and once again the front three were so isolated.  

It’s no suprise he hasn’t won promotion though the play off format, he can’t get out of that defensive mentality, he choose to defend rather than attack and that is what frustrates me.

2 hours ago, AdamRam said:

Some posters on here if you are referring to the one I think are here to wind people up, they will change their argument to suit their agenda, when you don’t have any affiliation with the club it’s easy to do.

I really wish we had got the result to take us to Wembley, and it’s thin lines between success and failure, however I do feel that after leading 1 nil after the first leg we missed a golden opportunity.  Only one club has overturned a first leg deficit, and yet we managed to make it 2, mainly because we didn’t try to build in that first leg advantage.  We knew Fulham had to score, surely the best opportunity to hurt them was when they had to attack, GR talked about composure yet we lacked conviction when we attacked and once again the front three were so isolated.  

It’s no suprise he hasn’t won promotion though the play off format, he can’t get out of that defensive mentality, he choose to defend rather than attack and that is what frustrates me.

Yeah agree with most of that. Apologies if you thought my original post was aimed at people like you.

Archived