Ahhh another season of Rowett

RoyMac5

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

Hughes did us a big favour signing that contract even if he never intended to honour it. Because if he hadn't we'd be losing him right now for practically nowt. 

Imagine losing the play offs and Will Hughes' contract expiring all in one month. That would've been really upsetting.

We wouldn't have noticed. He'd have been on loan at Reading or somewhere. ......?

4 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Fact?

Battered??? Rubbish. Fulham had the possession but did very little with it - we created the best chances and with better finishing we could and should have scored 3 or 4. I didn't see any of the 2nd leg but by most balanced accounts we got what we deserved - nothing.

I have no qualms about eventually losing out - Fulham are a good side and I hope they put one over Villa - but some of the wrist-slashing that's taken place since Monday has been really juvenile and what you'd expect from a four year old.

??? They hit the bar and squandered several good opportunities. Anyway it’s not wrist slashing it’s voicing an opinion. I think the manager is not capable of taking us forward and would like to see him go. You obviously think different, that is all.

it makes me laugh if your not on the Rowett bus then your not a fan and a wrist slasher, is that not even more childish????

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

I have seen that stat, but stats are like mini skirts they look great but hide the most important things. The football was boring, if you ran a poll I think it’s be heavily weighted towards boring rather than not. 

It’s all about opinions I guess, IMO Rowetts style of play is anti football, old fashioned and boring. In your opinion you may like it ?!?! 

I just think people contradict themselves slightly.

I'm not sure how you can be negative and anti football yet be 5th top scorers in the division. 

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm not sure how you can be negative and anti football yet be 5th top scorers in the division. 

I’ve just watched it for a season 

16 minutes ago, Saity said:

There is no way Madrid only have 25 % possesion or only 2 shots on target in 2 games , and Athletico are a strong defensive unit but when you watch them they play football and attack and don't look like they're ever getting battered like we do sometimes.

When Leicester won the prem i remember them beating Man City away with creativity, pace and skill , i don't think they parked the bus to be honest like we seem to....forgetting the play off performances just for a minute because the players really gave it there all....think back to some of the games this season...its been turgid, boring defensive crap to be honest.

I don't want to see DCFC giving teams too much of the ball and relying on our defence ( which has been good for the majority of the season ) to grind out a result.

Bournemouth showed how it can be done with young players who scored loads of goals and went for it and i would personally like to see us be a bit more attack minded.....we actually looked better once we went 0-2 down on monday.....we have no need to be frightened of anyone.

IMO if GR cannot produce a young attack minded side who know how to defend when its needed and play a little bit more expansive then for me he is not right for us, just like Pulis or Allardyce or Mcarthy wouldn't be...but its all about opinions and thats football i guess

In a lot of their games against the big four, they had around 30% possession. 

But I do agree with what you're saying, there have been some dreadful games this season that have been boring. Maybe I'm being a bit idealistic but I'm certain that's not the way Rowett wants to play, I feel he wants something a lot more like  the first leg against Fulham or the second half against Cardiff. I honestly believe he wants us to sit deep and break fast with lots of pace and skill, but there are still some holes that he hasn't been able to address which hinder such a plan and is perhaps another reason why I'm very forgiving for him.

He's badly wanted energy in the center of the park all season, something which all good counter attacking sides have and he had a signing wrapped up in Kieftenbeld only to have it fall through. As a result we signed Ledley who did brilliantly for us, but is very obviously not the energetic midfielder Rowett wants or needs. We've also had left back issues again all season, with Forsyth seemingly forgetting how to defend every other game and Olsson being poor defensively.

Bournemouth and Watford have both shown how it can be done with promotions playing very attractive football, but even they switched to a defensive style in the prem. Believe me when I say if I could choose how to go up, it would be playing how we did in 13/14 without hesitation. Unfortunately those players are gone and we've got a different bunch now, along with a different approach that we must stick with due to the terrible appointments in the past few years. 

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Some good results and performances no doubt this season.

Lots of 3-0s but the results generally dried up somewhat from Jan. 

What's this secret?  Can Gary cut to the chase and restore the better bits of last season?

It'll be fun finding out. 

50 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Yes because the shots on target stat really shows the countless breaks we had that were wasted due to poor balls in the final third.

You're not allowed to talk sense and must accept the Rowett out brigade's negative view, OK?! Only they have a right to an opinion, as what they see is a true reflection of reality. Apparently, that is!!

21 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Obviously not paid much attention have you. ?

It’s hard when your falling asleep for most of it ☺️

1 hour ago, lrm14 said:

In a lot of their games against the big four, they had around 30% possession. 

But I do agree with what you're saying, there have been some dreadful games this season that have been boring. Maybe I'm being a bit idealistic but I'm certain that's not the way Rowett wants to play, I feel he wants something a lot more like  the first leg against Fulham or the second half against Cardiff. I honestly believe he wants us to sit deep and break fast with lots of pace and skill, but there are still some holes that he hasn't been able to address which hinder such a plan and is perhaps another reason why I'm very forgiving for him.

He's badly wanted energy in the center of the park all season, something which all good counter attacking sides have and he had a signing wrapped up in Kieftenbeld only to have it fall through. As a result we signed Ledley who did brilliantly for us, but is very obviously not the energetic midfielder Rowett wants or needs. We've also had left back issues again all season, with Forsyth seemingly forgetting how to defend every other game and Olsson being poor defensively.

Bournemouth and Watford have both shown how it can be done with promotions playing very attractive football, but even they switched to a defensive style in the prem. Believe me when I say if I could choose how to go up, it would be playing how we did in 13/14 without hesitation. Unfortunately those players are gone and we've got a different bunch now, along with a different approach that we must stick with due to the terrible appointments in the past few years. 

Good reply.... I think it takes a bit of stomaching personally watching us being so deep and not having much of the ball Irm and i think what you say regarding Rowett and his ideals of how the system should work are correct.

I think the problem I have is I just don't like the tactics....whether it works or not i personally liked it when we played football and were decent to watch.

I don't see much changing with GR and even if he gets younger players in i don't think i'll ever buy into the counter attacking defensive ethos...When we played Fulham at there place in the league it was as dull as dishwater and i took my son with me because although he's not a ram !!! he loves the atmosphere away and the voiciferous following we have.....

On that day we played for about 20 mins and surrendered possession for the rest of it and with it came a subdued atmosphere and there was no real buzz in the crowd and my lad commented on how low key and quiet the fans were....he was correct.

IMO i would like to see us get a load of youngsters like say Marriot,Maddison,Burn,Bayliss,Woods and a couple more as an example and get us playing decent attacking football and take a mid table finish if we have to building a side to not only challenge to win the league but a team who can compete in the prem if we get there.

Everton have just sacked Allardyce and I can see why......dire football and I love the game and respect different approaches and tactics etc but really don't like the way we play at all.

Fulham have got it right ... because if they go up and add some good defenders and learn to counter attack with pace with pacey players like  sessignon and Fredericks they could do well because they keep the ball and could still dominate games and yet dig in when they have to....it just seems to me all we do is dig in....and after this season if i'm honest i'm fed up with watching it...but you make some fair points....☺️

7 hours ago, TexasRam said:

I’ve just watched it for a season 

Me too, and in my opinion the label of negative, anti football, hoofball, was probably applicable to somewhere between 5% and 10% of the matches that I saw.

Still no explanation as to how we scored so many goals if we are such a negative team?

7 hours ago, lrm14 said:

He's badly wanted energy in the center of the park all season, something which all good counter attacking sides have and he had a signing wrapped up in Kieftenbeld only to have it fall through.

Makes his decision to offload Bryson and have Palmer warming his bench look even stranger! 

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Me too, and in my opinion the label of negative, anti football, hoofball, was probably applicable to somewhere between 5% and 10% of the matches that I saw.

Still no explanation as to how we scored so many goals if we are such a negative team?

You enjoyed it, I didn’t. Can’t explain how we scored so many, IMO we are negative doesn’t matter how many questions you ask me it won’t change my mind. I’ll quite happily have a bet we’ll finish out of the top 8 next year and the fan base will dwindle further. 

4 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

You enjoyed it, I didn’t. Can’t explain how we scored so many, IMO we are negative doesn’t matter how many questions you ask me it won’t change my mind. I’ll quite happily have a bet we’ll finish out of the top 8 next year and the fan base will dwindle further. 

Didn't say I necessarily enjoyed all of it but for a few months I actually thought it was ok to watch.

Just pointing out that people have labelled his football, probably before a ball was even kicked, and that label will continue to be used despite facts suggesting otherwise.

Have no idea what will happen next season, think it depends on what he has to do in the transfer market. Couldn't care less about a dwindling fanbase, it says more about how fickle some are more than anything. 

7 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

There in lies the problem 

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Didn't say I necessarily enjoyed all of it but for a few months I actually thought it was ok to watch.

Just pointing out that people have labelled his football, probably before a ball was even kicked, and that label will continue to be used despite facts suggesting otherwise.

Have no idea what will happen next season, think it depends on what he has to do in the transfer market. Couldn't care less about a dwindling fanbase, it says more about how fickle some are more than anything. 

The facts don’t suggest otherwise sorry.

I’m the same as you about the fan base, however it’s a clear sign they don’t enjoy what they see.

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

The facts don’t suggest otherwise sorry.

I’m the same as you about the fan base, however it’s a clear sign they don’t enjoy what they see.

If you fail to acknowledge facts that are there in black and white I guess the discussion is over!

Archived