Jerome

kyle mccabe

The reason I quietly liked the signing of Jerome was simply because of his goal in the play-off final in 2015(?). I saw him as the player that might contribute nothing during his whole time here but pop up with a winner when it mattered. He's got promotion experience and like Nugent is another forward who will better retain composure in the big games.

The fact then that in the last 4 games he's hit the form that he has is brilliant to see; seems to have almost single-handedly given us the offensive edge we needed to start performing again. If he can carry that form into the play-offs now, he'll hopefully be a real handful to any defence. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jerome's never been noted as a consistent goal-scorer, but his pace and nuisance value has always made him an attractive option. Like all players you have to play to his strengths.

Any up-date on his injury?

1 hour ago, Derby blood said:

I had a dream last night, that he will score the winner at Wembley against Villa in the 82nd minute to beat Villa 2-1 on the day, hope my dream comes true.

So do we all ☺️

3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I’m eating humble pie ? too. 

Pace, power, passion. If I was a defender I would shudder at the sight of him on the ball.

He has slipped slam-bang into form after looking like a non-footballer in previous games. When he picked up that peach ? of a pass from Zico Johnson {think off-break with a football} he had plenty to do as he hared off, shoulder to shoulder with the defender. 4 seconds later the defender was 2 yards behind as the ball ripped the nylon ties of the net off the stainless steel net fixings. Bang! 1-0.

10 minutes later we all thought he had a 2nd as he again smashed the off-the-bar rebound into the roof only for the ref to blow up for some uncertain infringement.

Barnsley could not cope with his direct pace and power. Worryingly, he felt a twinge in his right ham after a stretch in the 2nd half so hopefully they’ll have him under the infra-red lamp for a couple of days...if he stays fit he could yet be the season-winner. 

Zico Johnson ????? brilliant ! 

I was so disappointed with him a few weeks ago. Thought he was a complete waste of money, and only dragged our wage bill and average age up (if that is even possible to do). He's mugging me off, and I hope he continues to mug me off. I'll happily have Jerome make me look like the biggest fool in the planet if he fires us to promotion. Looked a different player yesterday. Confidence is such a huge factor in strikers, he looked a yard or two quicker.

I was quite pleased when we signed him as he was always a player that had given us trouble when we played Norwich. However, I hadn't been too impressed in recent months.

I think I mentioned on an earlier thread, that he just doesn't seem to me to be a good impact substitute - certainly he has played better since he's started games, as he did in his first couple of matches. 

The new system is helping, too, with players much closer to him now. But he's also chasing balls down more willingly, because he's had time to build up his match fitness, which he didn't get chance to do at Norwich this season.

Maybe we all judge a little too soon - it takes time to adapt to and play with new colleagues. Keep it up, Cameron - you're growing on us!

30 minutes ago, angieram said:

I was quite pleased when we signed him as he was always a player that had given us trouble when we played Norwich. However, I hadn't been too impressed in recent months.

I think I mentioned on an earlier thread, that he just doesn't seem to me to be a good impact substitute - certainly he has played better since he's started games, as he did in his first couple of matches. 

The new system is helping, too, with players much closer to him now. But he's also chasing balls down more willingly, because he's had time to build up his match fitness, which he didn't get chance to do at Norwich this season.

Maybe we all judge a little too soon - it takes time to adapt to and play with new colleagues. Keep it up, Cameron - you're growing on us!

That's something which I don't get. IMO he has perfect attributes for a sub, but like you said, he doesn't offer much when being used as one. So it comes to mentality, which I hard to see from telly  ?

I think he's best as a starter because he's got greater potential to run central defenders ragged than Nugent who can then keep the pressure on the tiring opposition - especially in weather conditions like yesterday.

The guys starting to look good,let's hope he can continue this form for us into the play offs. His confidence must well up which I hope is shared in the changing room amongst the players.Having played only half a season he should have the legs and a point to prove. If he gets us promotion probably the best but if the season, which I wouldn't have said 4 week's ago.

Archived