Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

Service Levels in this country.

I have been to a few weddings this year, all in nice hotels, but the bar service is shocking.

One person serving when you have loads of guests wanting a drink, ok i get that the bar maybe at times wont be busy so one will do, but surely its basics....you know roughly what time people will arrive so staff it up for that period, then after the service again.

Maybe later in the day as people buying their drinks becomes more spread out then 1 will suffice.

14 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Service Levels in this country.

I have been to a few weddings this year, all in nice hotels, but the bar service is shocking.

One person serving when you have loads of guests wanting a drink, ok i get that the bar maybe at times wont be busy so one will do, but surely its basics....you know roughly what time people will arrive so staff it up for that period, then after the service again.

Maybe later in the day as people buying their drinks becomes more spread out then 1 will suffice.

I agree. That and the standards of food in this country. When you go anywhere new for something to eat it literally is 50/50 IMO as to whether what you are dished up is even passable or not. It's ridiculous.

Often we're in a nice town or driving somewhere and spot a nice pub / cafe and eat and then wish we hadn't bothered. I tend now to go back to places I know if possible rather than take the gamble but sometimes it isn't possible.

It shouldn't be like this. If you are going to set up a business serving food then have some pride in your product or shut up shop!

Sometimes you look at trip advisor and you get idiots posting, 'we saw all the bad reviews on here but we thought we'd give it a try'. Then they slate the place!! If 70% plus of all reviewers think a place is terrible then the likelihood is that it probably is so why still go in and perpetuate their business!!

Take your point about service though Paul. What annoys me is when you're in a queue somewhere waiting to see the receptionist / person on the desk and they answer their phones BEFORE serving customers face to face that are stood in front of them! They should be sacked purely for having no common sense really.

Also staff who have zero customer service skills. Bought a load of stuff from Toys R Us and the girl was struggling with the transaction which I have sympathy for , especially as i think she must have been new but then instead of bring assertive and apologising and saying something like,'sorry about this sir. I'm new and not really familiar with how to do this so would you mind waiting whilst I get a member of staff to help me?'

Instead she says barely a word and sits there for 5 minutes looking round to catch the eyes of another member of staff.

I'm really just stood there completely baffled as to just how she managed to pass a job interview. She could barely speak.

Also I dislike it greatly when checkout operators are serving me then chatting with the one adjacent. Even more so when it's about what they did last night or boyfriends and things. This does happen a lot.

Also queues. Argos is the worst but in general. Why should I wait and be put at an inconvenience just to hand over money to a company that clearly isn't interested in putting customers first?

I can take a few minutes but often you're about 6th in line and there is one maybe two members of staff on. Do you want my money or not?!!

Occasionally I have gone shopping at a supermarket and been waiting so long to pay that I've asked for a manager and just handed him my trolley full of shopping and told him it's unacceptable and I'm shopping elsewhere.

Suddenly as if by magic a member of staff becomes available and a new till is opened up with me first.

Tough. Their loss.

Just get on the bloody ball supermarkets! You make enough flamin' money so get more staff and treat your customers better.

1 minute ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I agree. That and the standards of food in this country. When you go anywhere new for something to eat it literally is 50/50 IMO as to whether what you are dished up is even passable or not. It's ridiculous.

Often we're in a nice town or driving somewhere and spot a nice pub / cafe and eat and then wish we hadn't bothered. I tend now to go back to places I know if possible rather than take the gamble but sometimes it isn't possible.

It shouldn't be like this. If you are going to set up a business serving food then have some pride in your product or shut up shop!

Sometimes you look at trip advisor and you get idiots posting, 'we saw all the bad reviews on here but we thought we'd give it a try'. Then they slate the place!! If 70% plus of all reviewers think a place is terrible then the likelihood is that it probably is so why still go in and perpetuate their business!!

Take your point about service though Paul. What annoys me is when you're in a queue somewhere waiting to see the receptionist / person on the desk and they answer their phones BEFORE serving customers face to face that are stood in front of them! They should be sacked purely for having no common sense really.

Also staff who have zero customer service skills. Bought a load of stuff from Toys R Us and the girl was struggling with the transaction which I have sympathy for , especially as i think she must have been new but then instead of bring assertive and apologising and saying something like,'sorry about this sir. I'm new and not really familiar with how to do this so would you mind waiting whilst I get a member of staff to help me?'

Instead she says barely a word and sits there for 5 minutes looking round to catch the eyes of another member of staff.

I'm really just stood there completely baffled as to just how she managed to pass a job interview. She could barely speak.

Also I dislike it greatly when checkout operators are serving me then chatting with the one adjacent. Even more so when it's about what they did last night or boyfriends and things. This does happen a lot.

Also queues. Argos is the worst but in general. Why should I wait and be put at an inconvenience just to hand over money to a company that clearly isn't interested in putting customers first?

I can take a few minutes but often you're about 6th in line and there is one maybe two members of staff on. Do you want my money or not?!!

Occasionally I have gone shopping at a supermarket and been waiting so long to pay that I've asked for a manager and just handed him my trolley full of shopping and told him it's unacceptable and I'm shopping elsewhere.

Suddenly as if by magic a member of staff becomes available and a new till is opened up with me first.

Tough. Their loss.

Just get on the bloody ball supermarkets! You make enough flamin' money so get more staff and treat your customers better.

I always try and have sympathy with those working, I have seen the same recently in Toys R Us, i just felt sorry for the girl obviously has been thrown in with inadequate training.

I time the reduction in service with the financial crash a few years ago, there was a noticible drop in number of staff, you go in somewhere and htere are x amount of tills/checkouts that used to be full that arent anymore.

I hate the phones and receptionists too, but i can sympathise with them, i used to work serving the public and was under instructions from my boss to answer calls if they rang, which annoyed both the person waiting and the person who called when i said i would have to call them back.

Ha and yes food, my main gripes though are...1. Know what the specials are when you come and bring me a menu, 2. tell me whats not available then, dont wait until i have looked at the menu then tell me when i ask for something you dont have. 3. Know a little bit about each dish, i.e what sauce or what it comes with etc etc.

6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I always try and have sympathy with those working, I have seen the same recently in Toys R Us, i just felt sorry for the girl obviously has been thrown in with inadequate training.

I time the reduction in service with the financial crash a few years ago, there was a noticible drop in number of staff, you go in somewhere and htere are x amount of tills/checkouts that used to be full that arent anymore.

I hate the phones and receptionists too, but i can sympathise with them, i used to work serving the public and was under instructions from my boss to answer calls if they rang, which annoyed both the person waiting and the person who called when i said i would have to call them back.

Ha and yes food, my main gripes though are...1. Know what the specials are when you come and bring me a menu, 2. tell me whats not available then, dont wait until i have looked at the menu then tell me when i ask for something you dont have. 3. Know a little bit about each dish, i.e what sauce or what it comes with etc etc.

You make some good points Paul. I do sympathise with staff who are under pressure that's why I go to management to complain and not rant at the person on the till as it's not their fault queues have been allowed to form. No point in having a go at them.

With the girl in toys r us though I disagree. I accept she will be learning on the job but she just lacked any form of basic communication skills which shocked me and it's not the first time either.

Why did your manager instruct you to put phone customers ahead of ones staring you in the face? Weird one that. You must have been under stress Paul!:(

It's usually shocking management and it's the ones lower down the organisation that are usually the ones bearing the brunt and helping save the business at the same time, for a lot less money.

2 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

You make some good points Paul. I do sympathise with staff who are under pressure that's why I go to management to complain and not rant at the person on the till as it's not their fault queues have been allowed to form. No point in having a go at them.

With the girl in toys r us though I disagree. I accept she will be learning on the job but she just lacked any form of basic communication skills which shocked me and it's not the first time either.

Why did your manager instruct you to put phone customers ahead of ones staring you in the face? Weird one that. You must have been under stress Paul!:(

It's usually shocking management and it's the ones lower down the organisation that are usually the ones bearing the brunt and helping save the business at the same time, for a lot less money.

It was stressful yes, thats one reason I 'usually' have sympathy for customer service staff. Its because if we didnt answer th chances are they may go on an call a competitor, missed sale chance.

I have been on the end of verbals many times because of it. Thankfully i dont work in that area anymore but its not nice.

Its easy for management to say it, they arent the ones getting the abuse for it.

The lack of ****** communication between other staff members, who aren't even in my area of the dept. 

Quick overview: Departmental audits are shared between each area, to allow people who don't usually perform the task to review standard procedures and ensure it is still fit for purpose. Manager of the other area informed me that an audit is in fact due end Jan 17 not Dec 16, and that they've entered the due date incorrectly, ignore it blah blah blah. Deputy Manager of said area has now informed me that no, it is due Dec 16. I explained (with written proof) what I was told, but this was dismissed with a "Oh we'd be 100% for the year, it's nearly Jan, please make it a priority" even though I've currently got all the end of year reports and stats to run which are far more important. 

How hard is it for one to say to the other it needs fixing! :angry:

I was in a Nottingham City centre pub the other day and was noticed the chef, one because it had an open kitchen, and two because he had a tattoo of a snake on his shaved head, which went all the way around the back morphing into a dragon when it reappeared on the opposite side of his face.

We watched him serving up Sunday dinners, by opening the various components from plastic bags and sliding them onto the plate, followed in the same way by the gravy fresh out the microwave, also in a little bag.

If that's what you call cooking, don't make an open kitchen a feature of the pub, I always assume the food will be ***** in such places, but don't confirm it before ive even tasted it.

Sizzling it was not!

2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I was in a Nottingham City centre pub the other day and was noticed the chef, one because it had an open kitchen, and two because he had a tattoo of a snake on his shaved head, which went all the way around the back morphing into a dragon when it reappeared on the opposite side of his face.

We watched him serving up Sunday dinners, by opening the various components from plastic bags and sliding them onto the plate, followed in the same way by the gravy fresh out the microwave, also in a little bag.

If that's what you call cooking, don't make an open kitchen a feature of the pub, I always assume the food will be ***** in such places, but don't confirm it before ive even tasted it.

Sizzling it was not!

@froggg

Have you been moonlighting in Nottingham again?

Fess up!!

Traffic lights on islands....for example little eaton A38. Why arent they only on during peak travel times? When you travel outside of these times you can sit at a red light with nothing coming. I know its only a minute or so but its not condusive to free flowing traffic.

17 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Sizzling it was not!

And what is the name of this fine sounding establishment???