Ghosts, Curses , Jinx etc

FindernRam

Everything has been pointed at as a reason for the slump. 

Had a spam e-mail on the nonsense known as biorythms (remember them from way back?)

Just for the heck of it I put in the team from Saturday. No wonder we looked so bad- at least 7 of the outfield players were at the bottom of their attributes, mainly physical but intellectual and emotional too. Only Lawrence was at the top of his curves and Davies was kind of neutral.

Maybe there is something in it after all. Incidentally with the next game so soon there is no significant change for Saturday!

Well it sounds more scientific than Gypsy curses.:D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because we don't understand something doesn't make it claptrap. 

I don't understand "Chaos Theory", but watch the Rams it is beginning to make sense!

PS: Only joking! I long ago tested out Biorythms on a Project Team of mine after a Japanese guy I was coordinating with was such a big advocate to the extent he wouldn't drive if his bio's were aligned wrong. Proved a total load of eyewash. 

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Fun fact, I once got cursed by a gypsy when I was 17 working in a River Island store because I wouldn't let her return a pair of jeans she had stolen the day before. I had her detained by plain clothes police and she left the store screaming that a curse was now upon me.

So its your fault then. STAY AWAY!

6 hours ago, eddie said:

Biorhythms fall under the same umbrella as god.

Superstitious unscientific claptrap.

Actually, it’s dismissing metaphysics as a form of knowledge which is unscientific.

You’re making an a priori assumption that the empirical method is the only way to ascertain truth; a claim which is not itself empirically testable. 

Catch 22, I’m afraid. 

20 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Actually, it’s dismissing metaphysics as a form of knowledge which is unscientific.

You’re making an a priori assumption that the empirical method is the only way to ascertain truth; a claim which is not itself empirically testable.

Beat me to it.

31 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Catch 22, I’m afraid. 

Metaphysics itself is largely bunk - it follows the pattern of making a retrospective fit of previous observations allowing you to extrapolate a future position (usually based upon a preconceived tenet), make predictions, fleece your followers then when you have gone past that point in time, re-adjust your position (without re-evaluating your original tenet), fudge your previous results and then make further predictions.

Rinse, grow rich and repeat.

See every 'end of the world' or 'rapture' merchant since time immemorial. Alternatively, New Age dudes and people who like to say 'Om'.

6 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Fun fact, I once got cursed by a gypsy when I was 17 working in a River Island store because I wouldn't let her return a pair of jeans she had stolen the day before. I had her detained by plain clothes police and she left the store screaming that a curse was now upon me.

Ah we have a new scapegoat.

26 minutes ago, eddie said:

Metaphysics itself is largely bunk - it follows the pattern of making a retrospective fit of previous observations allowing you to extrapolate a future position (usually based upon a preconceived tenet), make predictions, fleece your followers then when you have gone past that point in time, re-adjust your position (without re-evaluating your original tenet), fudge your previous results and then make further predictions.

Rinse, grow rich and repeat.

See every 'end of the world' or 'rapture' merchant since time immemorial. Alternatively, New Age dudes and people who like to say 'Om'.

What you’re describing is the sociology of religion, not the philosophy of metaphysics. 

My point still stands that you cannot make truth claims based on an empirical method, without first acknowledging that the assumed priority of such a method is itself a metaphysical position, and a self contradictory one at that.

As already suggested, the statement that only the empirical method can yield truth is not, itself, empirically testable. It therefore relies on an exterior, ie, metaphysical means of knowing, or, as is more commonly the case, is simply an unverified assumption. 

Archived