Ghosts, Curses , Jinx etc

FindernRam

58 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

“we do not see things as they are, we see them as we are”

This is the case even with empirical observation. Leaving aside the observer effect, everything takes place in a cultural context, and is filtered through the limitations of the human senses and understanding. There’s no such thing as pure objectivity. 

Apart from that, though, Freud was definitely a Ram!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, eddie said:

I didn't claim it all was bunkum. I claimed that it was 'largely bunk' - unless, that is, you wish to move the following from fantasy to reality...

• astrology
  • aromatherapy
  • biorhythms (where we came in)
  • phrenology
  • spiritual healing
  • feng shui
  • auras
  • crystals
  • pyramids
  • quantum mysticism
  • telepathy
  • psychokinesis
  • telekinesis

Because exponents of all of the above always claim that they are exploring the 'metaphysical'. It's no coincidence that I restricted my list to 13 items - feel free to add 'numerology'.

Your second paragraph is nonsense in my opinion, because it opens the door to 'god did it' and thus in some eyes invalidates any education in any way, shape or form, and it brings us back to saying 'Om' a lot and the use of faith to motivate people.

You can remove auras from that list, as they are very real and can be photographed.  i could probably teach you in five minutes how to see auras, it's nothing mystical.

As for curses, the way i understand is that it's like a dance, both parties must believe in it for it to work, which makes sense when you consider how effective placebo treatment can be.  i've seen it first hand when i worked at a care home.  Residents would complain of some pain or ailment that could not be addressed with added medication and were given a placebo, a calcium pill usually and told that would make them feel better.  Worked every time.  Belief is a powerful thing it seems.

9 hours ago, Moist One said:

it's all Rowett's fault for the way he handled the speculation linking him with the Stoke job. I think he actively flirted with them and derailed our season. 

Absolutely. He must be sacked immediately and then reappointed in 2019-2020 for 15 or so games to rescue another calamitous season following the appointment of "no nonsense" manager Tony Pulis :lol:

On 17/04/2018 at 16:01, Lambchop said:

You’re making an a priori assumption that the empirical method is the only way to ascertain truth; a claim which is not itself empirically testable. 

What do you know about testables?

1 hour ago, ramit said:

You can remove auras from that list, as they are very real and can be photographed.  i could probably teach you in five minutes how to see auras, it's nothing mystical.

As for curses, the way i understand is that it's like a dance, both parties must believe in it for it to work, which makes sense when you consider how effective placebo treatment can be.  i've seen it first hand when i worked at a care home.  Residents would complain of some pain or ailment that could not be addressed with added medication and were given a placebo, a calcium pill usually and told that would make them feel better.  Worked every time.  Belief is a powerful thing it seems.

Absolutely, Fide in Fiducia. 

2 hours ago, ramit said:

Really? You will tell me that you believe in fairies - and expect me to believe in them. Don't misinterpret silent electric discharge or a photo-voltaic effect for bloody paranormal activity. Auras as an example of paranormal activity are hocus-pocus mumbo-jumbo bunkum.

I agree that the placebo effect is a real thing. You will notice that it is conspicuous by its absence from my list.

Let's have a quick test.

Who here 'believes' in deja-vu as something paranormal, who has had an experience of deja-vu, and what do you think it represents?

4 minutes ago, eddie said:

Let's have a quick test.

Who here 'believes' in deja-vu as something paranormal, who has had an experience of deja-vu, and what do you think it represents?

Deja-va? Yeah, i think I’ve experienced that. Can’t be sure but does it represent an inability to maintain top form throughout the full 46 games :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, eddie said:

Let's have a quick test.

Agree. It's a load of cobblers. And you can add chakras to your list. Mine definitely need rebalancing. :drool:

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Really? You will tell me that you believe in fairies - and expect me to believe in them. Don't misinterpret silent electric discharge or a photo-voltaic effect for bloody paranormal activity. Auras as an example of paranormal activity are hocus-pocus mumbo-jumbo bunkum.

I agree that the placebo effect is a real thing. You will notice that it is conspicuous by its absence from my list.

i didn't claim it was paranormal, in fact i stated that there is nothing mystical about it and you get all worked up and basically call me a loony.  FYI i am not into any of the new age stuff, but i respect other folks views.  And it's not about what i believe, it's about what i can see and have always been able to, but you read my post alright, you just chose to misrepresent what was written.  That's on you, not me.

2 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Deja-va? Yeah, i think I’ve experienced that. Can’t be sure but does it represent an inability to maintain top form throughout the full 46 games :ph34r:

Close enough.

I had this - prat, for want of a better word - regale me with his theory of spiral time a few weeks ago (yes, alcohol was involved). He theorised that time was tightly coiled, and that you could 'see' from one coil to another, thus experiencing the same phenomenon multiple times. He was also a flat-earther, but I destroyed him with one simple question: "In a volcanic eruption, where does the lava come from?"

5 hours ago, ramit said:

How do you see auras?

3 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

How do you see auras?

Hope that is a sincere question,  for here is a sincere answer

The best way for me to see a person's aura is standing a few feet away from them with them standing or sitting in front of a plain white background, such as a wall.  i gaze, rather than stare at the upper part of the nose or the forehead and the aura becomes visible to my peripheral vision.  There are lots of videos and articles which describe the technique similarly.  My wife had never heard of this but was curious and was able to see my aura fairly quickly.  At first you will only see a thin pale ring, but as you continue to gaze you can see more of it and different colors, usually in layers.  i have no idea what the colors represent, apart from red, which i take to represent passion or strong feelings.  i don't really trust much of the info given about what the colors represent.  One thing i do notice though, a healthy person has a strong aura, a sickly person a weak one.

just as much drivel in science as religion i'm afraid .  god knows- (like the pun) the science world has spent over the last 80 years trying to prove were all tight rope walkers. - there are about twelve different versions of this theory . Now there bored with this there moving on to dark matter ??

The essential idea behind string theory is this: all of the different 'fundamental ' particles of the Standard Model are really just different manifestations of one basic object: a string. How can that be? Well, we would ordinarily picture an electron, for instance, as a point with no internal structure. A point cannot do anything but move. But, if string theory is correct, then under an extremely powerful 'microscope' we would realize that the electron is not really a point, but a tiny loop of string. A string can do something aside from moving--- it can oscillate in different ways. If it oscillates a certain way, then from a distance, unable to tell it is really a string, we see an electron. But if it oscillates some other way, well, then we call it a photon, or a quark, or a ... you get the idea. So, if string theory is correct, the entire world is made of strings!

4 hours ago, eddie said:

Let's have a quick test.

Isn’t it to do with a split second delay in a signal in the brain, which creates the impression of having seen something twice?

31 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

just as much drivel in science as religion i'm afraid

Scientism is a belief system, moulding reality in the image of science. People actually believe that everything has been explained now, or if it hasn’t, it will be eventually, because science is the truth. 

This is, of course, nonsense. Science is a method which observes, measures and describes a limited range of phenomena.

When someone says, there is no god because the universe started with the big bang, for example, they are citing an article of faith. Like all good zealots, they believe that they have unique access to the truth. 

It would be quite funny, except that scientismists are just as dogmatic and humourless as any other cosmic know all. 

Archived