Cambridge Analytica

Stive Pesley

6 hours ago, David said:

That's not mind control then is it, that's personalised content to suit your tastes.

It is a form of mind control though - my wife and I work from home and are on the internet nearly all day, we visit the same sites yet almost always get different articles. There has been several times that we've started talking about something but it hasn't appeared on the others news feed.

You can argue that we only ever get the news stories the mass media deem interesting but when it gets personalised further to our existing interests how will we ever learn new things or expand our minds?  Scary stuff.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, maxjam said:

It is a form of mind control though - my wife and I work from home and are on the internet nearly all day, we visit the same sites yet almost always get different articles. There has been several times that we've started talking about something but it hasn't appeared on the others news feed.

You can argue that we only ever get the news stories the mass media deem interesting but when it gets personalised further to our existing interests how will we ever learn new things or expand our minds?  Scary stuff.

As in stories you maybe interested in on Facebook?

Not Facebook no, I avoid that site with a passion :p

The point is when things start targeting your interests, or what they think are your interests how do you learn anything new or get the other side of the argument?  I'm probably one of the biggest technophiles on this forum but imo the future is scary.

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Not Facebook no, I avoid that site with a passion :p

The point is when things start targeting your interests, or what they think are your interests how do you learn anything new or get the other side of the argument?  I'm probably one of the biggest technophiles on this forum but imo the future is scary.

Hard to say without knowing which site you are talking about. 

Facebook for example uses your gender, age, pages you've liked, posts you liked, pages/apps that your friends you interact with more have liked to push content/friend suggestions on you. 

It's not trying to educate you, it's trying to keep your eyes on the site feeding you content you enjoy, at the same time feed you relevant adverts as that's what pays the bills. Longer your eyes are on, more ads you will see. 

When the ads come on TV, who picks up a phone or goes to the bog, it's because it's random, it's not tailored content to your likes.

If Facebook started pushing Vegan content to a meat eater, they would probably get fed up and go look at another site.

Back during the election my feed was only ever filled with Labour crap, I blame @GboroRam and @Boycie for that, but it wouldn't have been difficult to find the Conservatives side if I chose to, and that's the thing, it requires you not to be lazy and want to go and research the other side. 

People are lazy though and social media companies know this, which is why they all run off algorithms these days, was a time where Facebook gave you a straight forward feed of recent activity but now they try and think for you, I personally hate it, they've destroyed Instagram as well by taking away the Chronological feed, I'm seeing pre match pictures from Derby on a Monday morning. 

Bah!

I don't think the future is scary though, over time these algorithms will get better. I can understand why people fear this kind of stuff but mostly it's nothing more than tailoring content to you which I personally think is ok within reason, if I'm going to see adverts to fund the websites I use, I would rather see adverts that were relevant to my tastes rather than random ones thrown in front of my eyes.

8 minutes ago, Boycie said:

@David, the mind games worked, who did you vote for?

Labour you bar stool! ?

I can hand on heart say that Facebook did not influence my decision though, my Facebook usage these days is scrolling past the first 4/5 posts, I then reach that quiz post where with just one click can reveal how many babies you will have, Barry here is going to have 3. Nice one Baz, I'm off laters!

3 minutes ago, David said:

Facebook for example uses your gender, age...

The last time I used Facebook, was probably 6 or 7 years ago.  I recall cos I was approaching 40 at the time and all the adverts I used to get were either for websites to arrange secret affairs or impotence drugs.  I guess it figured that because I'd be 40 soon I'd be in need of one or the other!  I used to get loads of spam emails with similar content too.  Its a good job that most days the wife and I barely leave the house else we might not have laughed so much about it!  That wasn't the reason I cancelled my Facebook account, but the spam pretty much stopped overnight which was a nice bonus :)

Maybe the algorithms have improved since then and will no doubt continue to improve, but I just don't like the idea of AI telling me what I should be interested in rather than feeding me a bit of everything.   Its a bit like the issue I have with my youtube homepage at the moment - I might click on a video as its a guide to a game I'm playing or whatever, next thing I know my homepage is full of videos from that person and related people or content.  The amount of times I've had to tell youtube to stop promoting 'popular' annoying, hyperactive video game streamers simply because I watched 2 mins of a video once helping me get past a bit I was stuck on is not funny!

8 minutes ago, maxjam said:

The last time I used Facebook, was probably 6 or 7 years ago.  I recall cos I was approaching 40 at the time and all the adverts I used to get were either for websites to arrange secret affairs or impotence drugs.  I guess it figured that because I'd be 40 soon I'd be in need of one or the other!  I used to get loads of spam emails with similar content too.  Its a good job that most days the wife and I barely leave the house else we might not have laughed so much about it!  That wasn't the reason I cancelled my Facebook account, but the spam pretty much stopped overnight which was a nice bonus :)

Maybe the algorithms have improved since then and will no doubt continue to improve, but I just don't like the idea of AI telling me what I should be interested in rather than feeding me a bit of everything.   Its a bit like the issue I have with my youtube homepage at the moment - I might click on a video as its a guide to a game I'm playing or whatever, next thing I know my homepage is full of videos from that person and related people or content.  The amount of times I've had to tell youtube to stop promoting 'popular' annoying, hyperactive video game streamers simply because I watched 2 mins of a video once helping me get past a bit I was stuck on is not funny!

If you have had spam through Facebook you've likely gone through those apps, quizzes, I don't get any other than from online shopping sites I've used. Facebook itself barely emails me, only with terms and agreement updates.

As for the YouTube thing, go to https://myaccount.google.com/privacycheckup

With that you can stop YouTube from remembering the videos you have watched which stops all those recommendations, the downside to this is that say you stop watching halfway through and return later it doesn't remember where you are in the video.

35 minutes ago, David said:

Labour you bar stool! ?

I can hand on heart say that Facebook did not influence my decision though, my Facebook usage these days is scrolling past the first 4/5 posts, I then reach that quiz post where with just one click can reveal how many babies you will have, Barry here is going to have 3. Nice one Baz, I'm off laters!

Jeeez another commie for the list. 

I didn't use Facebook for much tbh, never even added any friends :p  It was mainly for some sort of farming game I used to play with the kids and snooping on old school friends to see if they were up to anything exciting!  I quit when my ex-wife of 10 years previous found me and sent several abusive emails - I couldn't be bothered with the drama and was getting fed up with the weird adverts and spam so I just ended up cancelling my account.

That youtube privacy link thing could be a godsend, if I ever see certain youtubers again I'm in danger of having to buy a new monitor!!!

Archived