1971-72

JFB1967

Hello,

I am currently researching the 1971-72 season and I am trying to find the Derby County line-ups for the Texaco Cup campaign.

(H) Dundee United - Round 1 Leg 1 - 15/09/71

(A) Dundee United - Round 1 Leg 2 - 29/09/71

(H) Stoke City - Round 2 Leg 1 - 20/10/71

(A) Stoke City - Round 2 Leg 2 - 03/11/71

(H) Newcastle United - Semi Final Leg 1 - 24/11/71

(A) Newcastle United - Semi Final Leg 2 - 08/12/71

(A) Airdrie - Final Leg 1 - 26/01/72

(H) Airdrie - Final Leg 2 - 26/04/72

If anyone knows this information or could point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

John

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Given that most teams these days can't be arsed with the FA cup, kids today will simply not believe that we put a full strength team out throughout the Texaco cup.

I remember Jim Walker and Barry Butlin and seem to vaguely remember the name Bailey from that era (long blond hair?) but who the devil was Parry? Can't remeber him playing for us very often.

6 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

I remember Jim Walker and Barry Butlin and seem to vaguely remember the name Bailey from that era (long blond hair?) but who the devil was Parry? Can't remeber him playing for us very often.

Tony parry played for taylor at burton.

Alan Durban, Kevin Hector, Jim Walker, John O´Hare, Alan Hinton, John Robson, Roger Davies, John McGovern, Frank Wignall, John O´Hare, Colin Todd, Barry Butlin. 

Robson went to Aston Villa after the season
Davies went on loan to Preston NE in 1972
Wignall went to Mansfield during last ½ of 1971

15 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

I think the "long blond hair" was Alan Biley, some years later??

6 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

5 hours ago, loweman2 said:

tony parry (sadly passed away in 2009) is next to Jim Walker and tony bailey next to jeff bourne (I think)

The lad I was thinking of is the one with the blond page boy haircut in the second row on the left of the picture, standing next to John McGovern and John O’Hare. That haircut is daringly long for 1971.

I can remember his face but I can’t remember his name for the life of me though.

On 2/27/2018 at 13:50, loweman2 said:

That should do the trick John

image.jpg

O'Hare, Hector. Hinton...et alia. Trips off the tongue like -bam, bas-bat-bamus-batis,-bant...Anyone else able to recite Derby County teams ad infinitum, having "hard-wired" them into the pre-frontal cortex from all that time ago? Repeat after me, Boulton, Thomas, Nish, Rioch, McFarland, Todd, Hector, ... I'm pretty sure there was a Ripping Yarns of this ilk, n'est ce pas?:mellow:

1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

The lad I was thinking of is the one with the blond page boy haircut in the second row on the left of the picture, standing next to John McGovern and John O’Hare. That haircut is daringly long for 1971.

I can remember his face but I can’t remember his name for the life of me though.

David Toon

8 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

Signed from Camb Utd in 1979 by Colin Addison for £333,000 and had a "hair cut" like "Rod Stewart"...suits you, Sir. Biley had an alsatian dog called "Ram" and sounded like a "soider" drinker when 'e spoke like. 

Archived