1971-72

JFB1967

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Thank you so much loweman2 for the information.

It is quite incredible that the top sides of the day played their first teams in all the competitive matches, usually on really heavy pitches and in all types of weather conditions.

That Baseball Ground pitch really was something else! :-)

Thanks again. 

On 27 February 2018 at 18:37, mozza said:

Tony Bailey, i think @steve brummie worked with his dad at Marmite in Burton? 

Yes, I worked with Stan Bailey, Tony's dad.

Tony was signed by Cloughie from Burton Albion for the princely sum of £1,000 with a further £1,000 if and when he played in the first team.

I believe he played in one first team game in the 71-72 season.

He very kindly took my brother's Rams year book to the BBG and got it signed by everyone including Jimmy Gordon (trainer) and a newly signed Colin Todd.

Mozza still has the book.

Shame he doesn't know how to post a copy of the autograph page on here!

Perhaps one of his lads could do it for him??

9 hours ago, steve brummie said:

Yes, I worked with Stan Bailey, Tony's dad.

Tony was signed by Cloughie from Burton Albion for the princely sum of £1,000 with a further £1,000 if and when he played in the first team.

I believe he played in one first team game in the 71-72 season.

He very kindly took my brother's Rams year book to the BBG and got it signed by everyone including Jimmy Gordon (trainer) and a newly signed Colin Todd.

Mozza still has the book.

Shame he doesn't know how to post a copy of the autograph page on here!

Perhaps one of his lads could do it for him??

Excuse me !! I posted this on here in 2014 ,not my fault if you didn't see it 

img007.jpg

My first (& still best ever) season as a regular. I can still recite the team 'ripping yarns style' for most of the games as if it was yesterday.

In 1 to 11 line up Boulton, Webster, Robson, Durban, McFarland, Todd, McGovern, Gemmill, O'Hare, Hector, Hinton.

I also remember appearances by Wignall (before his transfer), Hennessey, Walker & Steve Powell. I think Tony Bailey's one & only game was in a 3-0 away defeat at Leeds. Roger Davies appeared in the texaco cup as did Barry Butlin.

Our reserves won the Central league that season too.  A treble in my first ever season. I've been waiting for another one ever since.

One day, one day..........or maybe not :(

Archived