Is the squad better and stronger under Rowett.

Curtains

2 hours ago, curtains said:

Derby have said they have to adhere to FFP that’s what I’m talking about. 

Rowett constantly said the squad was bloated . 

They have but we've hardly been penny pinching. It's not really a restraint when you can blow the best part of 15 million, in my opinion. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Do you have any workings for this outlandish figure?

Wisdom 4.5, Lawrence 5, Huddz 2, Davies 500k, Jerome 1.5. Is it that unbelievable? 

Ledley signing on fee? Loan fee's for Winnall/Palmer? Bet it's not far off. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Wisdom 4.5, Lawrence 5, Huddz 2, Davies 500k, Jerome 1.5. Is it that unbelievable? 

Ledley signing on fee? Loan fee's for Winnall/Palmer? Bet it's not far off. 

Wisdom was quoted at £2.5m with a potential MAX of £4.5m, so it's more like £11.5m.

less incomings of £21m for Ince (£11m), Hughes (£8m, per John Percy & Owen Bradley) & Christie (£2m)

1 minute ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Wisdom was quoted at £2.5m with a potential MAX of £4.5m, so it's more like £11.5m.

less incomings of £21m for Ince (£11m), Hughes (£8m, per John Percy & Owen Bradley) & Christie (£2m)

So a minimum 11.5. With the other bits potentially costing us money that I mentioned along with no idea what any of the clauses are (possibility of some being met). I don't think my comment of "best part of 15" is far of the mark at all. 

Eleven point five million pounds, still not a restraint IMO. 

32 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

So a minimum 11.5. With the other bits potentially costing us money that I mentioned along with no idea what any of the clauses are (possibility of some being met). I don't think my comment of "best part of 15" is far of the mark at all. 

Eleven point five million pounds, still not a restraint IMO. 

But incoming transfer fees have exceeded outgoing since Rowett arrived 

6 hours ago, curtains said:

Just a quick point on my OP .

The squad is good in a lot of respects considering the restraints Rowett is working under ie FFP etc .

Now as for utilizing the squad correctly well that is down to Gary and his coaching staff to get the best from it. 

6 changes was too many changes after Norwich IMO but Gary has his reasons and who am I to question them as I don’t see the players in training .

Regarding Tom Lawrence I really hope Gary isn’t losing faith in him because some fans are questioning his ability.  

Good post @curtains but I seriously doubt that an ex professional footballer who’s doing a steady job in management so far is going to let his judgment of a player be influenced by the moans and groans of some so called supporters.Not all players settle in immediately and I can remember David Nish getting the same stick quite a few years back now! When things go badly or not too well,as they sometimes do in football,some people need a whipping boy.It amuses me that 7 games ago the Villa followers were calling for Steve Bruce to be sacked,now listen to them !! As you know,football isn’t an exact science.I still see this as a major work in progress and pre season I’d have taken a top 8 finish.As we’ve over achieved so far and had the rub of the green in quite a few games it glossed over certain weaknesses.I fully expect another overhaul in the summer window and,sadly for some or,luckily for others,I can’t see a promotion at the end of this season.Not being a pessimist,just a realist.

Rowett is very much working on basis of trying/needing to balance the books far more than the last few years since clough hence ins being dictated by outs ,now I don’t know the exact figures but he is having to get players off the wage bill and also produce fees from sales before bringing players in ,, a very big change from the situation where we have been overpaying for players in terms of fees and wages for a while hence our stockpile of players on big fees and silly wages that couldn’t even get on the bench , nobody is saying we are burton Albion poor but we are no longer wolves or villa don’t care the cost,,, 

13 minutes ago, curtains said:

But incoming transfer fees have exceeded outgoing since Rowett arrived 

That's not a restraint though, is it? He didn't have to sell Hughes, Ince or Christie. He could have sold others and built a team around them. Did he want to? Appears not, sounds like only Hughes wanted away. If he was selling players against his wishes then I'd be in agreement with you, surely it's a luxury to have such players who can generate such funds that quite clearly aren't wanted? I imagine Bryson, Butterfield and Martin will all add to this in the summer. (Maybe not Butterfield). 

Did he have restraints at his previous clubs? I'd probably say so. Did Nigel Clough have restraints in his time here? For sure. I just can't get on board with a manager who is still able to spend millions of pounds on players being labelled as working under restraints. He's not got an open cheque book like Clement had but he's certainly got/had enough wonga to mould this team without it being a hindrance. 

1 minute ago, Mr Tibbs said:

That's not a restraint though, is it? He didn't have to sell Hughes, Ince or Christie. He could have sold others and built a team around them. Did he want to? Appears not, sounds like only Hughes wanted away. If he was selling players against his wishes then I'd be in agreement with you, surely it's a luxury to have such players who can generate such funds that quite clearly aren't wanted? I imagine Bryson, Butterfield and Martin will all add to this in the summer. (Maybe not Butterfield). 

Did he have restraints at his previous clubs? I'd probably say so. Did Nigel Clough have restraints in his time here? For sure. I just can't get on board with a manager who is still able to spend millions of pounds on players being labelled as working under restraints. He's not got an open cheque book like Clement had but he's certainly got/had enough wonga to mould this team without it being a hindrance. 

For me the restraint has also been about FFP because as far as I know Rowett has had to sell to bring in players. 

Player wages also are a restriction as regards FFP. 

Bent and Martin and Shackell going has reduced the wage bill as long as Burton, Reading and Millwall are paying a decent percentage of the wages. 

A list of outgoing players and Incoming since Rowett arrived would be useful 

He seems to have over pruned the squad at a time when injuries and suspensions bite.  The loss of Winnall just after Martin and in particular Best have been loaned out could not have been anticipated . The last minute failure to persuade Lookman to come to us Instead of going to Germany has left us light. Palmer was coming anyway and Johnny was allowed to go in anticipation of 2 new forwards. And this was on top of letting our most talented  young players go out to get experience playing in lower division clubs .     

And worst of all if Carson gets injured we are in big trouble.  

But then that is football !!!

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

For me the restraint has also been about FFP because as far as I know Rowett has had to sell to bring in players. 

Bent and Martin and Shackell going has reduced the wage bill as long as Burton, Reading and Millwall are paying a decent percentage of the wages. 

Each to their own then.

A restraint to me would be Nigel Clough's first few years here or Nottingham Forests previous few years before this window. Loads of money coming in, hardly any going out. We've cut back for sure this year but let's not kid ourselves into it being a major factor. 

I can't bring myself to think poor old Gary's had a rough time spending only 5 million here, 2.5 there, another 2 million here... and so on. 

23 minutes ago, curtains said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/derby-county/transfers/verein/22/plus/1?saison_id=2017&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

43 minutes ago, curtains said:

For me the restraint has also been about FFP because as far as I know Rowett has had to sell to bring in players

So are you guessing? Or has there been some dcfc confirmation of this?

Rowett has had plenty of financial wiggle room. His choice (bar Keef!) is where we are now.

In all honesty i think overall we are in better shape now but not a lot in it

Not replaced Ince or Hughes with any real quality and we have now a side on the wrong side of 30

Should we get promoted how many of the usual starting eleven are Premier League regulars, not many and thats a concern

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Each to their own then.

A restraint to me would be Nigel Clough's first few years here or Nottingham Forests previous few years before this window. Loads of money coming in, hardly any going out. We've cut back for sure this year but let's not kid ourselves into it being a major factor. 

I can't bring myself to think poor old Gary's had a rough time spending only 5 million here, 2.5 there, another 2 million here... and so on. 

No of course you can't think poor Gary but put it in perspective we've spent nowhere near the amount that Boro. Villa Leeds Wolves Fulham or even Cardiff have all spent more than us 

19 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

No of course you can't think poor Gary but put it in perspective we've spent nowhere near the amount that Boro. Villa Leeds Wolves Fulham or even Cardiff have all spent more than us 

That's because this squad has had that sort of money spent on it previously. A lot of it is still here for Gary to utilise (which he is doing) too. 

6 minutes ago, superzak said:

I aint no Gary rowett fan to me he is the modern day Tommy Docherty who talks a good game but don't back it up, but if he achieves Premiership football then you can only say well done. I don't think he will though just my opinion.

Sorry but this is just plain ********. There are no similarities between Tommy docchertys and Gary Rowett whatsoever. 

Archived