Brass bands

Owd miner

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never seen a brass band since they stopped being the pre-match entertainment at the baseball ground.

but i like hearing people dish out a good fart on a vinyl upholstery which is the nearest thing.

I must admit I played, very intermittently, in Brass Bands over a number of years. It was never really my scene as you have to sell your soul to them, and very time consuming. The secretary of one band used to come banging on my door on a Sunday evening, wanting to know why I wasn't at band practice.

The brass band system is structured like the football league, with divisions, promotion and relegation, and registration. Quite a lot of effort is put in to try and eliminate 'ringers', by having to sign in just prior to playing. Played in 2 or 3 finals in London, with not a lot of success, it has to be said. The 'Whit Friday Walks' were an experience I can't say I miss. A whole day of marching for church parades, then on to the evening 'Quickstep contests', playing on the march into what amounts to a bull ring, surrounded by rowdy crowds of drunken bandsmen, then playing a 'Contest' march'. Then into the coach and on to the next one. These contests often culminated in street brawls. Happy days.:(

I did a short stint with Ilkeston Band in the early 80's, playing Soprano cornet. We did one gig playing in a park one summers evening in Belper (Meadows?). It absolutely pissed it down and the only people there were about 6 of the bands WAGs, and the park keeper. He said 'Just play a couple of marches, then bugger off', which we did. I don't miss it, either.

I preferred the as hoc nature of trumpet playing, for shows and the like.

Archived