Rowett says it’s really good working with Mel

Curtains

28 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'll take Rowett's word on it over some people making assumptions on a forum. If him and Mel are working well together long may it continue.

I'm sure it's the case...

However,the true test is when we go through a bad patch......it's easy to be best mates with the boss when you are producing the goods.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Interesting piece, this. What quite a few fans believe to be a negative, Rowett sees to be a huge positive:

Constant spin from the club. When it suits Mel he's hardly at the club and leaves the day-to-day matters to staff to avoid blame. Now, he's always at the club but does not interfere. Another pointless pr article.

54 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Constant spin from the club. When it suits Mel he's hardly at the club and leaves the day-to-day matters to staff to avoid blame. Now, he's always at the club but does not interfere. Another pointless pr article.

Do you know this for a fact?

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'll take Rowett's word on it over some people making assumptions on a forum. If him and Mel are working well together long may it continue.

Drone drone drone.

6259381_R_Z001A?$Web$&$DefaultPDP570$&$W

;)

1 hour ago, Gypsy Ram said:

I liked it. Then again I love Mel, admire Rowett, and see it as a contrast from the odd bods of the past.

Their positive working relationship has been an ongoing theme. I like it and want to keep hearing about it.

Some people on here dont deserve to be called derby fans.they share opinions from things they read in the paper or a friend "itk", no facts to ever back it up,stop bashing Mr Morris at every given opportunity.green eyes can make you say funny things

12 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Just one of the first class strikers we’ve had over the years 

Nah,, he hit the post a bit too often for my liking if I’m being frank

On 28/09/2017 at 20:29, Gritters said:

I for one am really pleased he is holding a first team place and playing in the Europa League. 

On 27/09/2017 at 21:46, Saul Pimpson said:

Butters played the full 90 in Sheff Weds 1-0 defeat at "hapless" Birmingham tonight :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Why dont you just go support the red dogs then gypsy

4 minutes ago, Ramet said:

Some people on here dont deserve to be called derby fans.they share opinions from things they read in the paper or a friend "itk", no facts to ever back it up,stop bashing Mr Morris at every given opportunity.green eyes can make you say funny things

itk? ITK?

I'll have you know it's #ITK.

15 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

When you've seen as many successful Derby managers sacked as I have, then no. :thumbsup:

Roy, how many successful Derby managers have you seen sacked?

In fact, how many successful Derby managers have you seen?

Thinking it through, having followed Derby from the age of 2-3 in the late 1960s, I'd honestly only describe 5 Derby managers as "successful" (present incumbent excluded) of which at least three were sacked, one of them twice.

14 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'm sure it's the case...

However,the true test is when we go through a bad patch......it's easy to be best mates with the boss when you are producing the goods.

Didn't we have a bad patch at the start of the season?

We must have had now I think about it...otherwise, all of those calling for his head were being irrational :lol:

12 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I do get the impression that Mel just "gets" rowett in ways he never really did with McClaren or Clement.

And yes, of course its positive or spin, but that of itself doesn't make it untrue. Being a bit sceptical is healthy and its worth noting that things are going well at present.

Good comment.

Impression only (and from a considerable distance further away) but I'd turn that around TBH.

I sense that it's Rowett that "gets" Mel whereas Mel believes that Rowett is a Derby man who shares his vision for Derby.

As you say, it is of course 'spin' - almost every word from a business like DCFC is filtered with an eye on the messages the business wants to convey; the reverse is the exception even in an emotional business like football - and the trick is to observe what is being said and what's not being said and ask yourself "why would they say that?" and "why would they not say that?"

But always keep in mind that skillful communicators are skilled because they can infuse their words with additional meaning. By way of example, almost anyone  can sound convincing if they truly believe what they're saying. Skillful communicators can convey conviction but usually do it by attaching a statement to something they believe. As ever, it's the "cheats" a person has that gives away their true meaning, not their true selves.

This interview is notable for two things outside the standard PR spin in my view: (a) the level of detail about the interactions and (b) the reference to past managers. The first, as written, could go either way TBH: it may be enthusiasm causing a normally restrained speaker like Gary to offer so much detail, or it may be the club (or Gary himself) is defensive about past accusations of Mel's "interfering ways". Theonly slightly false note is, in my view, the reference to 30 minutes. That seems an awfully short duration for such an detailed conversation....but that could easily reflect how regularly they talk....or it could reflect that the discordant note is my tendency to be frustratingly verbose....Impossible to tell without seeing the interview. Now that I know it's been on Rams TV for a month, I'm going to have a look.

The dynamics of the Rowett/Morris relationship are fascinating, not just because it's crucial to Derby's immediate future but because, beneath the very calm, very English exteriors of both men, I sense there's actually a lot going on.

The second aspect that stands out is the reference to Rowett's immediate predecessors.

When I first read it, my immediate reaction was that it was an unnecessary crack at others. On reflection, I still think it unnecessary and unwise TBH but I'm not so sure it is, in any way, a "crack" at all.

It may have been in direct response to a question or it may simply be Gary's matter-of-fact manner. It just strikes me as an all risk-no gain kind of aside that Gary, in my observation, doesn't usually waste words on. It would be entirely consistent with my communication style, for instance, but Gary is usually far more linear than that.

2 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

Good comment.

Impression only (and from a considerable distance further away) but I'd turn that around TBH.

I sense that it's Rowett that "gets" Mel whereas Mel believes that Rowett is a Derby man who shares his vision for Derby.

As you say, it is of course 'spin' - almost every word from a business like DCFC is filtered with an eye on the messages the business wants to convey; the reverse is the exception even in an emotional business like football - and the trick is to observe what is being said and what's not being said and ask yourself "why would they say that?" and "why would they not say that?"

But always keep in mind that skillful communicators are skilled because they can infuse their words with additional meaning. By way of example, almost anyone  can sound convincing if they truly believe what they're saying. Skillful communicators can convey conviction but usually do it by attaching a statement to something they believe. As ever, it's the "cheats" a person has that gives away their true meaning, not their true selves.

This interview is notable for two things outside the standard PR spin in my view: (a) the level of detail about the interactions and (b) the reference to past managers. The first, as written, could go either way TBH: it may be enthusiasm causing a normally restrained speaker like Gary to offer so much detail, or it may be the club (or Gary himself) is defensive about past accusations of Mel's "interfering ways". Theonly slightly false note is, in my view, the reference to 30 minutes. That seems an awfully short duration for such an detailed conversation....but that could easily reflect how regularly they talk....or it could reflect that the discordant note is my tendency to be frustratingly verbose....Impossible to tell without seeing the interview. Now that I know it's been on Rams TV for a month, I'm going to have a look.

The dynamics of the Rowett/Morris relationship are fascinating, not just because it's crucial to Derby's immediate future but because, beneath the very calm, very English exteriors of both men, I sense there's actually a lot going on.

The second aspect that stands out is the reference to Rowett's immediate predecessors.

When I first read it, my immediate reaction was that it was an unnecessary crack at others. On reflection, I still think it unnecessary and unwise TBH but I'm not so sure it is, in any way, a "crack" at all.

It may have been in direct response to a question or it may simply be Gary's matter-of-fact manner. It just strikes me as an all risk-no gain kind of aside that Gary, in my observation, doesn't usually waste words on. It would be entirely consistent with my communication style, for instance, but Gary is usually far more linear than that.

For me my gut feeling and it’s only that as  I’m not itk is that mels passion for driving derby forward is matched by rowett s passion and enthusiasm for the job ,, it’s clear that rowett is very hard working and has a whole club vision that he’s prepared to put the hours into creating ,he appears inclusive of those working with him ,,, I think mel perhaps thought he was going to get that from clement and once at the club it didn’t appear that way at all ,there was lots of talk of clement not being the kind of hands on workaholic that rowett appears to be ,,,,, I think Mel really wanted rowett and I think there’s a reason for that and we are reaping the rewards of that good fit ,, not to say they can’t fall out in the future but for now it’s seems very healthy with the whole club pulling in the same direction,, I for one am just going to enjoy it  

It's worth pointing out that Mel's day to day role at the club started when Sam Rush departed, where as now there is direct line between the manager and owner cutting out the middle man.

As with the RamsTV Meets videos, Mel's tenure at the club should be split into 2 parts.

Part 1 - Owner

Part 2 - Executive Chairman & Owner 

Archived