Could stokes possible interest be damaging

kyle mccabe

It will likely be attributed to any de-railment now, if we do de-rail. 

But it will have nothing to do with anything and anyone who thinks it does is bloody mental.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gritters said:

I think the Mac to Newcastle was blown up by Radio Derby. They are stirring the big wooden spoon with Cloughie and the Forest job.

They should wait and report facts rather than stirring up **** and creating hysteria. 

Shouldn’t bite, but more than happy to, especially when it’s to correct a factual error. 

Radio Derby didn’t blow up anything. McClaren was only ever asked about the Newcastle speculation (by me) when it cropped up in the national press.

it kept cropping up, at least in part, because Steve didn’t do a great job of dealing with the questions, and because someone kept telling Newcastle he was interested and would go at the end of the season. Steve, or people connected with him, didn’t make it go away when they could easily have.

It wasn’t the sole reason Derby’s season collapsed, no. But it played a part. That’s been acknowledged by some of the players, and staff involved.

There was no stirring, no creating hysteria, at least not by me. End of story.

Can’t comment on Radio Derby’s handling of the Clough/Forest story as I’m not there anymore.

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, OwenB87 said:

...it kept cropping up, at least in part, because Steve didn’t do a great job of dealing with the questions, and because someone kept telling Newcastle he was interested and would go at the end of the season. Steve, or people connected with him, didn’t make it go away when they could easily have.

What you mean easily like Liverpool are scotching the Coutinho to Barca media talk?

You guys strike the matches then act surprised at the fire!

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

What you mean easily like Liverpool are scotching the Coutinho to Barca media talk?

What have Liverpool got to do with anything?

As I have explained, I didn’t strike any matches at all. I reacted to stories/speculation and gave Steve the chance to reply to them.

9 minutes ago, OwenB87 said:

Shouldn’t bite, but more than happy to, especially when it’s to correct a factual error. 

Radio Derby didn’t blow up anything. McClaren was only ever asked about the Newcastle speculation (by me) when it cropped up in the national press.

it kept cropping up, at least in part, because Steve didn’t do a great job of dealing with the questions, and because someone kept telling Newcastle he was interested and would go at the end of the season. Steve, or people connected with him, didn’t make it go away when they could easily have.

It wasn’t the sole reason Derby’s season collapsed, no. But it played a part. That’s been acknowledged by some of the players, and staff involved.

Can’t comment on Radio Derby’s handling of the Clough/Forest story as I’m not there anymore.

Cheers.

Playing devils advocate here (mainly because I couldnt care less what anyone in football says, because loyalty has gone from the game) but once it became clear that he did not want to rule himself out of the Newcastle job, what was to be gained from keeping on asking him about it?

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

2 minutes ago, OwenB87 said:

As I have explained, I didn’t strike any matches at all. I reacted to stories/speculation and gave Steve the chance to reply to them.

Don't worry about him, OB. He's just annoyed that he's not been linked with any of these jobs recently.

(Spoiler: he's Billy Davies)

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Playing devils advocate here (mainly because I couldnt care less what anyone in football says, because loyalty has gone from the game) but once it became clear that he did not want to rule himself out of the Newcastle job, what was to be gained from keeping on asking him about it?

If you remember, he wasn’t asked about it every week, at least not by me. 

The only time I got the bit between my teeth was the night he told a Fans Forum that he had rejected an approach, having previously insisted there had never been one.

8 minutes ago, OwenB87 said:

Chicken and egg - you think Liverpool want the Coutinho stories for you media chaps to talk about? You suggested it would have been easy for Mac to damp down the media talk about Newcastle, I'm showing you how difficult that can be when the media like to play. Seemed to me that everytime there was a whisper you took up the shout. The question had been answered but it was too good a story to leave alone.

Edit: surely you were just reporting rumours?!

Sith Happens
11 minutes ago, OwenB87 said:

Cheers.

Every time Steve was interviewed he said the only job he was interested in was the Derby job.

OK he didn't come out and say I'm not interested in the Newcastle job but what to you expect?

As you know with your recent move sometimes better opportunities come along, if you distance yourself then take it you do yourself more harm. 

I don't think he did anything wrong, but the questions about Newcastle were almost weekly.

I accept it was your job as a member of the media to ask, but it fueled the fire regardless of intentions.

11 minutes ago, OwenB87 said:

Cheers.

Thanks.

I am more than happy to be corrected and I usually am, often.

I felt RD kept bringing up the subject but you do make a good point about it not going away and Steve didn't deal with it. 

1 minute ago, OwenB87 said:

If you remember, he wasn’t asked about it every week, at least not by me. 

The only time I got the bit between my teeth was the night he told a Fans Forum that he had rejected an approach, having previously insisted there had never been one.

Cheers for the response.

Very rarely listen to the radio so I'm more going off the way things were relayed on here...which is obviously very silly!

Anyway when are you getting Rowett on Rams TV so he can rule himself out of the Stoke position (which isn't even vacant) and the Sheff Wed and Forest jobs?!

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Chicken and egg - you think Liverpool want the Coutinho stories for you media chaps to talk about? You suggested it would have been easy for Mac to damp down the media talk about Newcastle, I'm showing you how difficult that can be when the media like to play. Seemed to me that everytime there was a whisper you took up the shout. The question had been answered but it was too good a story to leave alone.

Liverpool story is completely different. 

Yes, it would have been easy. Someone kept telling Newcastle that he was interested. Ultimately that’s the reason it didn’t go away.

I know you like him (as do I, actually) but it’s staggering that you can’t/won’t accept that he shouldn’t shoulder any of the blame here. 

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Anyway when are you getting Rowett on Rams TV so he can rule himself out of the Stoke position (which isn't even vacant) and the Sheff Wed and Forest jobs?!

Absolutely. What manager in the Championship wouldn't want to manage a Premiership club. Will be interested in your interview @OwenB87, just to deal with the rumours, of course.

Just now, OwenB87 said:

I know you like him (as do I, actually) but it’s staggering that you can’t/won’t accept that he shouldn’t shoulder any of the blame here. 

Why? As I said what manager wouldn't want to manage a Prem club. He said what he could given the situation and in the end he was sacked, not poached by Newcastle.

32 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

That’s a lie.

Theyve never won a league title.

Well they've won the hearts of the neutral premier league observer surely?

Passionate fans, vibrant city, charismatic managers, loveable rogue defenders... need I go on?

Archived