Patrick Foletti- a defining game

Gee SCREAMER !!

Would be interested on you views on which player has had the most defining game in a period of Derby history and why .  I remember this guy making his full debut in goal against Everton at home we lost 4-3 and he was hopeless, as far as I can recall he didn't play for us again .  We had just come off the back of a few good results and had won this one I reckon we would have stayed up and shared in the potless bounty of the prem  rather than having the three amigos, almost insolvency and so many years in this league with only one forgettable season out of it .

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Defining games

worst - Hillsboro semi final - loss to Manchester Utd. Wasn’t expected. The downward spiral occurred from that game

Best - Stimac  debut at Tranmere - list 5-1 then went unbeaten for 19 games I think

George’s hatrick against Real Madrid at BBG

BBG  pitch - defining moment - when they bought a tape measure out and a bucket of white paint to measure the penalty spot out - Man City in the cup. Think Rioch slammed it in!!!

3 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Defining games

worst - Hillsboro semi final - loss to Manchester Utd. Wasn’t expected. The downward spiral occurred from that game

Best - Stimac  debut at Tranmere - list 5-1 then went unbeaten for 19 games I think

BBG  pitch - defining moment - when they bought a tape measure out and a bucket of white paint to measure the penalty spot out - Man City in the cup. Think Rioch slammed it in!!!

Agree with all of that - though my dad didn't take me to Hillsboro (we'd have won if he had). If memory serves it was Gerry Daly with the penalty. He was as good as Vydra from the spot!

2 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Defining games

I was at Prenton Park for Stimac debut you could tell straight away he was the leader we had been waiting for and he scored 

Will Hughes debut against Peterborough we watched in amazement as this skinny kid dazzled us with his skill 

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Agree with all of that - though my dad didn't take me to Hillsboro (we'd have won if he had). If memory serves it was Gerry Daly with the penalty. He was as good as Vydra from the spot!

Liked Gerry Daly - talented player - of course he played against us in the semi final - left cos he fell out with Docherty - then got him back !!!

1 hour ago, irobinson said:

Defining games

There is an 11 year old boy inside me somewhere still sobbing on the way out of Hillsboro mate... 

Can remember Hughes' debut at Posh (I think).

Mostly because we were watching him warm up at half time (think this was the same year that classic Youtube clip of the fans singing throughout half time comes from), and we could just tell from the way he kicked the ball that he was a cut above. Then he came on and we lost 3-2.

Then won £20 on a fruity at the train station.

Good times.

30 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Patrick Foletti's main claim to fame was that the Observer's automatic spell checker referred to him as "Patriot Fellatio" and the sub-editors missed it.

Imagine working all your life to make it as a professional footballer, yet that was your main claim to fame.

It would be hard to swallow.

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I thought it was archie who scored it.. playing as emergency striker due to load of injuries. Daly missed one I think at least I remember when we missed two penos and Im sure he was one of them.

PistoldPete2
36 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Patrick Foletti's main claim to fame was that the Observer's automatic spell checker referred to him as "Patriot Fellatio" and the sub-editors missed it.

Perhaps he would have been good at blow football.

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I thought it was archie who scored it.. playing as emergency striker due to load of injuries. Daly missed one I think at least I remember when we missed two penos and Im sure he was one of them.

Here you go. Happy memories! I was in the Normanton Upper behind the goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFwl11WUAg

Edit: Not sure why the link to YouTube didn't embed.

In recent memory I can think of that game of two halves versus Ipswich when we came from 4-1 down to draw 4-4, leading us to have a terrific run of form and finish 3rd, before THAT goal *shudders*

Craig Bryson scoring two and Jamie Ward during that second half which gave the fans hope, then belief, then delirium! 

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

He was a much better player than Vydra is.

Not a defining moment but my only memory of Patrick Foletti was one his first touches being a diving header to clear the ball at filbert street as we avenged ‘savage gate’ with a 3-0 trouncing. Being locked in afterwards and thus getting an audience with mr savage was lovely. I have no recollection of the Everton game. Was so much tripe over the years I’ve blocked a lot of it out.

Archived