January Transfer Window

Day

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some legs in midfield are an absolute priority. I’m worried about left back, never really rated Olsson and Fozzy is nowhere near the same player he was right now. He’d struggle to get in Burton’s team currently. Hope he can turn it around and get back to his best but he’s a liability at the moment. If Lowe can get fit I’d be happy with him. 

Depends on who we can ship out though 

I don't want to buy anyone but somewhat bizarrely the poll only gives us the option of further bloating an already bloated squad. As I said in the January transfer thread in the transfer section, I'd like to ship out half a dozen unwanted players in the interests of squad cohesion, also giving some youngsters a chance. 

I think GK is fine as it is as is most of the defence. Maybe a left footed CB or a LB but they would have to be a good standard to improve us.

Midfield is awkward. It is maybe seen as our weakness particularly in terms of variety of skill sets especially pace. Maybe a young CAM who would be a bench player and possibly start at number 10 in really tough games.

Up front again it would have to be high quality to improve us but if Bent goes, maybe a young pavy striker for the bench could be a option.

This leaves the wingers. I think this is where we are weakest and I would like to see an upgrade but I guess we have to sell/loan Anya first.

I think GK is fine as it is as is most of the defence. Maybe a left footed CB or a LB but they would have to be a good standard to improve us.

Midfield is awkward. It is maybe seen as our weakness particularly in terms of variety of skill sets especially pace. Maybe a young CAM who would be a bench player and possibly start at number 10 in really tough games.

Up front again it would have to be high quality to improve us but if Bent goes, maybe a young pavy striker for the bench could be a option.

This leaves the wingers. I think this is where we are weakest and I would like to see an upgrade but I guess we have to sell/loan Anya first.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

By your own description, isn't the bolded part covered by Vernam?

A wide player in is a possible, Burnley will let Walters leave on loan apparently, he'd fit the type Rowett has bought in so far.

I wouldn’t strengthen anywhere until we have moved out at least 2 or 3 & then only look to bring 1 loan maybe 2.

Clear the decks, reduce the wage bill & keep some continuity in the current first team squad. Lessons from previous January transfer windows which have disrupted our 2nd half of the seasons need to be learned.

We’ll then be in a better position to kick on & strengthen the squad in the summer when we know what league we are going to be in. Where we finish may also determine whether or not we offer certain individuals a contract extension or not.

1 minute ago, Cool As Custard said:

I wouldn’t strengthen anywhere until we have moved out at least 2 or 3 & then only look to bring 1 loan maybe 2.

Clear the decks, reduce the wage bill & keep some continuity in the current first team squad. Lessons from previous January transfer windows which have disrupted our 2nd half of the seasons need to be learned.

We’ll then be in a better position to kick on & strengthen the squad in the summer when we know what league we are going to be in. Where we finish may also determine whether or not we offer certain individuals a contract extension or not.

Sorry already posted this on the duplicate post!

On 01/12/2017 at 11:45, rynny said:

I put cm, rw and lw. But only one player that can play rw either/or lw, so only the 2 players in. But it also depends on outgoings. Also thinking about it Mason Bennett, if he can make the step and play a significant role as a lw/rw then I would be happy with just the one signing, a cm that can carry the ball and get forward and help the attackers.

He is miles away from first team starts.

He will be behind Thomas by the end of the season.

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 20:27, BramcoteRam84 said:

Some legs in midfield are an absolute priority. I’m worried about left back, never really rated Olsson and Fozzy is nowhere near the same player he was right now. He’d struggle to get in Burton’s team currently. Hope he can turn it around and get back to his best but he’s a liability at the moment. If Lowe can get fit I’d be happy with him. 

Depends on who we can ship out though 

Totally agree that we could do with legs in midfield - number 1 priority for me despite Ledley's fine contribution. Until we can start to pressure opposition midfields, we will continue to have to sit back & soak up pressure in order to get results.

Just seen a MOM performance from John McGinn of Hibs (v Celtic) - lad is 23 & was all energy & bustle in the centre of the park. Decent technically too I thought. Apparently Forest had a £750k bid turned down in August.

32 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

By your own description, isn't the bolded part covered by Vernam?

A wide player in is a possible, Burnley will let Walters leave on loan apparently, he'd fit the type Rowett has bought in so far.

Aha @reveldevil trying to hoist me by own petard you rascal.

I was thinking of a genuine midfield player rather than a deep lying CF which is what both Vydra and Vernam are. In this case we need a plan B not just a player B.

We need someone to play CAM in tough away games and someone to bring on at CM when we are chasing games. 

Perhaps someone like Hughes or Bryson but no sane club would let them go.

Archived