Bin Collection

Day

How often do you lot get your bins emptied?

Council have just informed us starting next month our main bin will now be collected every 2 weeks.

Ours is already full by the end of 1 week.

Recycle more they say, ok we’ve got bins for cans, paper and glass. Not sure 7 tins of dog food will clear much space in the bin, papers are so last 10 years ago and glass? Don’t have any.

I’m buggered.

Council tax ain’t going down either. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im in Amber Valley and it is every other week too. Seems to work ok, its surprising how much rubbish is stuff that can go in the recycle bin, in fact its usually that bin that gets more full than the normal one.

Is your recycle bin the same size as your general waste bin? If not then i could imagine it being a problem.

We used to have to put our recycle in two stupid little plastic boxes...made a right mess everywhere with cardboard blowing down the streets etc.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Im in Amber Valley and it is every other week too. Seems to work ok, its surprising how much rubbish is stuff that can go in the recycle bin, in fact its usually that bin that gets more full than the normal one.

Is your recycle bin the same size as your general waste bin? If not then i could imagine it being a problem.

We used to have to put our recycle in two stupid little plastic boxes...made a right mess everywhere with cardboard blowing down the streets etc.

We get 3 small tubs, no lids so when it rains they get full of water. Supposed to stick paper in one. Wouldn’t pass Dragons Den

1 minute ago, David said:

We get 3 small tubs, no lids so when it rains they get full of water. Supposed to stick paper in one. Wouldn’t pass Dragons Den

They are rubbish, when we had those i cant recall if we had bi weekly collections or not, but our recycle bins have proper lids and have a box that sits inside it which you put your glass in.

You dont have to separate your cardboard, plastics and paper, just your glass.

Don’t leave plastic plant pots on view in the top of the bin like I did once, they didn’t take the bin because of it. (Hide em at the bottom)

I’m always jumping up and down inside our recycling bin, I feel like a Lesta Fan when I do it.

53 minutes ago, David said:

How often do you lot get your bins emptied?

Council have just informed us starting next month our main bin will now be collected every 2 weeks.

Ours is already full by the end of 1 week.

Recycle more they say, ok we’ve got bins for cans, paper and glass. Not sure 7 tins of dog food will clear much space in the bin, papers are so last 10 years ago and glass? Don’t have any.

I’m buggered.

Council tax ain’t going down either. 

Every other week for me. General waste one week recycling the other. Some weeks I have a walk down the road to remind me which week it is. 

It does two things having it this way. I find I recycle loads more and never forget to put the bin out.

Test Valley here.

Up to 2004 you had 3 120l (skinny) bins. One black (general waste) and 2 brown (recycling and garden waste). Black one emptied every week and the brown ones alternated.

Then it changed to the sort of system many on here have described - you got 2 new 250l bins, one black one brown which are collected on alternate weeks. The garden waste scheme is now an extra paid for service where you can either use green sacks or your old brown bins and pay about 25 quid per bin a year to have them emptied every 2 weeks.....on a different day to the other bins.

Confused much? And the council tax didn't go down, although we were all told it wasn't going up as much as it might have.

This is a rubbish thread!!

Seriously though, ours are on the same system. Recycle one one week, general waste the next. A real ball ache if you forget to put it out and if you don't bring it back in promptly some scrout fills it up for you. The recycle bin is also significantly bigger than the general waste one. We also have a garden waste bin which as of this year they are charging an extra fee for collecting. Guess where most people's garden waste ends up now.

Black bin, general waste every two weeks. Then two bins the Green bin, tins, glass,certain plastics, paped and cardboard and the Brown bin, garden waste and food waste, are collected on the alternative week. The refuse collectors will also take any large pieces of cardboard left next to the bin. The only bit of the bin collection process I dislike is that they start collecting them between 6.30 and 7.00 in the morning.

5 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

This is a rubbish thread!!

Seriously though, ours are on the same system. Recycle one one week, general waste the next. A real ball ache if you forget to put it out and if you don't bring it back in promptly some scrout fills it up for you. The recycle bin is also significantly bigger than the general waste one. We also have a garden waste bin which as of this year they are charging an extra fee for collecting. Guess where most people's garden waste ends up now.

Im under the impression its ok to put garden waste in your normal bin anyway. I have always thought who gets through that much garden waste they need a seperate bin? I have a bit of grass every week but takes up no room hardly.

I suppose im not doing my bit as its not being recycled, but then its surely going to be biodegradable anyway wherever it ends up?

11 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Im under the impression its ok to put garden waste in your normal bin anyway. I have always thought who gets through that much garden waste they need a seperate bin? I have a bit of grass every week but takes up no room hardly.

I suppose im not doing my bit as its not being recycled, but then its surely going to be biodegradable anyway wherever it ends up?

Won't take ours up here if they find any garden waste in, you have to pay £35 for a brown bin collection and they only come April to March, outside of that you're on your own. 

Just now, David said:

Won't take ours up here if they find any garden waste in, you have to pay £35 for a brown bin collection and they only come April to March, outside of that you're on your own. 

Isnt April to March all year?

Archived