Huddlestone - overhyped?

mumblemumble

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

he was absolutely useless today, gave the ball away too many times and as slow as a dead horse.

He has a bit of the Gerrard syndrome in him in that he is always looking for the Hollywood pass.

Well,feck it,we obviously need to sign Hollywood in the next window.Simples.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

He's like an American Football quarterback without the midfield rush coverage to allow him to pick his Hail Mary passes. 

'The midfield rush coverage' -now they're words to conjure with.

I thought 'Lest you forget' was a November 5 type thing.

Just now, Inglorius said:

My analogy was trying to draw the comparison that he doesn't have the time or luxury to pick a Hollywood pass as he doesn't have the support around him to enable himself to do so. 

Yeah,I know,but I couldn't resist the flippancy.Like I said before,cart before the horse,but I'm far from convinced we got the right horse.Perhaps we needed a carthorse? (lot cheaper,now Sam's gone)

11 minutes ago, mumblemumble said:

If the guys crap then he's not a scapegoat..

Yeah well crap... probably one of the best passers of the ball in the division & easily the best player to come out of our such 'highly rated' acadamy in the last 20 years 

We were all creaming up about him 2-3 games ago now he's suddenly crap? 

Think a few Derby fans need a reality check on where we actually are. 

We've resigned Tom Huddlestone in the second teir of English football not exactly a prime Zidane. Not really sure what people are expecting.

I think he's a good player at this level & he'll have more good games than bad. Just like keogh saves us more points than costs us but he's also a scape goat. If he 'didnt always have a mistake in him' he wouldnt be playing for Derby County in the second teir of english football. 

Huddlestone was a puzzling signing. Many people expressed concerns that the signing was counter-intuitive, in that it went against everything Rowett had said he was planning to do - build a team that was young, hungry and brave and one with the pace and power to press from the front.

I get the sense that because he was available for £2 million, it was a deal we couldn't step away from, even if it didn't really fit with the approach we were taking.

He's a good player, but he is not the right player for us to build the team around unless you have someone with genuine defensive quality, stamina and athleticism next to him, evening out his weaknesses.

Overhyped? Not really.  I can't remember anybody particularly going over the top about TH being the messiah or anything.  We knew what we were getting; a fairly slow and immobile player with excellent passing ability and skill on the ball.  If anybody, including GR, was expecting him to be bombing around the pitch at 90 mph putting in tackles left right and centre and getting in front of the centre forwards then they were always going to be disappointed. 

The problem isn't with Tom, the problem is expecting - or needing - Tom to be doing things he isn't suited to be doing.  This probably means our 'style' of play (if we have one), or the approach GR wants to take, is not suited to Tom's game.  Ergo, we either need to change our style to accommodate him, change the players around him to accommodate him or play players in his position who can do the things he can't.

3 minutes ago, archram said:

I always forget until I see him again how huge he is! You would expect him to be a real physical presence on the pitch but he just isn't. I doubt if any opposition player is scared of coming up against him!

He's a gentle giant whereas that Aden Flint is all menacing aggression. I hated him yesterday!

Archived