Proposed changes to transfer window.

davenportram

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

But the problem is, wouldn't we have exactly the same problems, along with Jim White's mass hysteria anyway, just a few weeks earlier???  Managers up & down the country have had months to lock down their squads but dither & panic at the last minutes anyway, the same will still happen regardless...

Sorry, I was talking more about abandoning the windows altogether! Yes, we'd have the same problems with rushing, if there was an earlier deadline BUT surely there could be a more sensible timeframe for clubs to complete their paperwork? 

I also think the current rules penalise smaller clubs who can't afford big squads and suffer bad injuries.

I just don't like any of it really. But that's because I'm of an age where I prefer the good old days! :D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get that teams want to try and get there squad set for the season but surely cutting the transfer window by about a month is a massive mistake and is just going to lead to more clubs panicking at the last minute.

There's talk of the EFL following suit and ending the transfer window before the season starts as well. 

How's that going to work when it kicks off a week earlier than the pl? Will pl clubs be able to sign players from EFL clubs after the window closes and not replace them? Or would the EFL have to have the same window in which case what's the point as the season has already started?

We need to get back to the old system where you can sign anyone up until May, it's the best and fairest way.

While I'm in full rant mode, who thought it would be a good idea to let the pl make their own rules separate from the rest of English football. They're obviously only going to make decisions that benefit themselves and it's just another way to keep the rich rich.

6 minutes ago, richinspain said:

The clubs most prejudiced by this will be the promoted clubs. They will have less time to try to build a squad capable of surviving.

And the ones that will benefit the most will be the wealthiest who can afford to push back big bids from abroad - whereas the smaller clubs without the financial muscle may find their squads decimated after the end of the PL window with no way to buy replacements with the riches they get.

The window is a stupid idea, which will be made worse by the PL clubs effectively tying one of their hands behind their backs via this latest decision....

19 minutes ago, richinspain said:

The clubs most prejudiced by this will be the promoted clubs. They will have less time to try to build a squad capable of surviving.

8 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

And the ones that will benefit the most will be the wealthiest who can afford to push back big bids from abroad - whereas the smaller clubs without the financial muscle may find their squads decimated after the end of the PL window with no way to buy replacements with the riches they get.

The window is a stupid idea, which will be made worse by the PL clubs effectively tying one of their hands behind their backs via this latest decision....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41188235

Fourteen Premier League clubs voted in favour of the amendment, the minimum needed for the plans to be approved. Manchester United, Manchester City, Watford, Swansea and Crystal Palace voted against, while Burnley abstained.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no problems with the window shutting before the season starts but I personally think the loan window should remain open for an extra week or 2. 

This will allow clubs that players they've tried to sign who signed in the wrong box and cocked up can then go and sign a replacement after sending their whole midfield out on loan ?

On a serious note. This would mean clubs aren't doing everything at once and once the permanent transfers are done and dusted all clubs can then think about loans after having to sell players without replacements on deadline day.

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I have no problems with the window shutting before the season starts but I personally think the loan window should remain open for an extra week or 2. 

This will allow clubs that players they've tried to sign who signed in the wrong box and cocked up can then go and sign a replacement after sending their whole midfield out on loan ?

On a serious note. This would mean clubs aren't doing everything at once and once the permanent transfers are done and dusted all clubs can then think about loans after having to sell players without replacements on deadline day.

The article does state that the loan market would still be open until August 31st.

Archived