Jason Shackell - Joined Millwall on Loan

Nijul_cluff

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hoping it does happen even if its a free or payoff (slanted now lol) one more less for incoming. shouldnt have paid over the odds of burnley ,but we had there pants down over hendrick . was alright when he came here, but back problems dont go away (iv had one for over 20 years) so why keep a part timer on the bench for the size of is wages alone. u23 can do that and is age as made him past it for anyone in champ to pay owt out for him on top of his wage.  come on clough a freebe to join rest of derbys unwanted :D:D

I don't mind Shackell but I think it's a wise time for him to go. Hardly reliable (in an fitness sense) and that's only going to get worse the older he gets. It's all well and good having this class defender but what's the point if he's never available? Plenty of adequate replacements in, the defence hasn't been an issue over the past year or so tbh. 

He had a good first year for us but also had a bit of a mare at important times of the season for us when it mattered. Burnley away was an absolute blow at the time and the home leg vs Hull are unfortunately not fond memories I have which Shackell was a big part of. Our fans seem to nail a certain other defender for lunging in all the time but I don't recall a defender who turns his back so much as Shackell despite him being such a good defender. 

All in all, not a big miss really. If he was fit and half decent with his feet it would be a different story. 

I believe he is the only naturally left footed (Central) defender we have so offers balance to the squad. I'd be sad to see him go, especially if he is shortly returning to fitness. While I agree he might not get in the current 1st 11, he is the third best central defender in the squad and has a lot of experience. A valuable squad member in my opinion.

This nack of not being able to defend set pieces and crosses began when he left the first time. I agree his second spell has not been a success to date, but would like to see him stay and given the chance to fight for his place.

He also seems like a "Rowett player" if there is such a thing, so it would also surprise me if he is willing to let him go. The lack of updates on his injury is interesting though...

He should have been made club captain and leader when he first came but Clement picked who, Baird ????.  Then he was yo yoed in and out the team like everyone else and although he was fantastic defensively he became a one trick pony when we gained possession launching long balls left to right ... dropped and then ridiculed for showing passion at Wassall in the tactical debacle at Rotherham ... you tend to think that his injuries coincided with a "why bother / I got 99 problems but my final salary ain't one" attitude typical of so many has been or might have been players that we've collected while the other teams sold us their charity shop cast offs and acquired foreign superstars or promoted their youth and future stars like Michael Keane. 

5 minutes ago, Ninos said:

ridiculed for showing passion at Wassall in the tactical debacle at Rotherham 

That's not passion. That's blatant disrespectful to coaching staff. He was quite rightly ridiculed for that, as any player who does that should be. It was pathetic behaviour from a seasoned pro who should know better. 

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

dropped and then ridiculed for showing passion at Wassall in the tactical debacle at Rotherham ...

When did that happen?

My biggest problem with him was summed up in the home playoff leg against Hull (he played both legs as I recall so not sure when he was dropped) when he bottled out of closing down Hernandez - There was a 50/50 on offer which Keogh would have closed down - He backed off and Hernandez scored - Didn't want to take the risk of looking stupid and it cost us the first goal

Just now, Andicis said:

That's not passion. That's blatant disrespectful for coaching staff. He was quite rightly ridiculed for that, as any player who does that should be. It was pathetic behaviour from a seasoned pro who should know better. 

We aren't running a primary school here. The problem with our club for the past few seasons is that there is no passion! 

Just now, Ninos said:

We aren't running a primary school here. The problem with our club for the past few seasons is that there is no passion! 

What has that got to do with anything? Showing public dissent to a manager is bad for the clubs image, bad for his image, and it degrades the value of the manager. Doesn't exactly show a united front now does it? That's not showing passion, that's being a prima donna. 

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

When did that happen?

My biggest problem with him was summed up in the home playoff leg against Hull (he played both legs as I recall so not sure when he was dropped) when he bottled out of closing down Hernandez - There was a 50/50 on offer which Keogh would have closed down - He backed off and Hernandez scored - Didn't want to take the risk of looking stupid and it cost us the first goal

He'd prob lost interest at that point. Switched off like the rest. I'm not defending him I'm pointing out what was his changed mentality. High hopes coming in - dashed - showed passion (in his mind) for the club at Rotherham - bashed - then just went on to auto pilot and now, he's 34 on good money with a new kid and 4th in the pecking order. It is what it is when you have a bloated squad of misfits.

Just now, Ninos said:

He'd lost interest at that point. Switched off like the rest. I'm not defending him I'm pointing out what was his changed mentality. High hopes coming in - dashed - showed passion (in his mind) for the club at Rotherham - bashed - then just went on to auto pilot and now, he's 34 on good money with a new kid and 4th in the pecking order. It is what it is when you have a bloated squad of misfits.

He lost interest at 0-0 in the first leg of the playoff, I doubt that very much. If it was the case, I'd be even more sceptical of Shackell than I already am. Is that showing passion to ''lose interest'' as you put it in the playoffs?

8 minutes ago, Ninos said:

It's best for everyone that he leave ASAP. Best for him the club the fans - he could have been a star again but it all went wrong and it wasn't all his fault.

Yeh well to be honest he shouldn't have *insert spurious allegation here*

So yeh

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh well to be honest he shouldn't have *insert spurious allegation here*

So yeh

He shouldn't have got injured. A fit shackell would probably be ahead of Curtis Davies. I'm not sure that Davies fitness is that great tbf. 

16 hours ago, cheron85 said:

When did that happen?

That will be the goal where the whole problem was created by johnson then?

16 hours ago, Ninos said:

Garbage!

That wasn't passion, it was down right disrespect to our manager. If he had issues with the tactics he should of said it in private, not in full view of everyone.

We'd be quick to jump on the back of our manager who publicly did the same thing to a player.

Archived