Nijul_cluff

13 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Quick list of players we've allegedly spent 3 million on:

Claude Davies

Kenny Miller

Rob Earnshaw

Nick Blackman

Jason Shackell

When you put him next to those he really wasn't a waste of 3 million in a time where we were absolutely gunning for promotion.

It was still a waste, the other names mentioned were a complete waste

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Don't blame him coming, he got offered it..... big waste in my eyes..... but we got seduced by the big bucks bringing former players back "home".....

It may go down as a waste due to the amount of games he has played, only Captain Hindsight would have seen his injury coming to pull the plug. His back injury was potentially career ending so I hear yet wanted to make himself available for the team still, when Rowett arrived discovered how serious it could potentially be he sent him off to get the op. 

What you’re really wanting to say is this is another one of Mel’s waste of money signings that started the decline of Derby County, as we fall below the much improved Nottingham Forest to the bottom of the Championship, you will all see how we were much safer under GSE and by the year 2078 we may have been in the Premier League and I’ll be here to say I told you so. Am I right? ;) 

36 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Quick list of players we've allegedly spent 3 million on:

Claude Davies

Kenny Miller

Rob Earnshaw

Nick Blackman

Jason Shackell

When you put him next to those he really wasn't a waste of 3 million in a time where we were absolutely gunning for promotion.

You might want to add Craig Burley to that list...

Don't get the hatred for shackell, he was one of our best and most consistent performers under clement. As a defender he's one of the finest at this level, granted his ball playing abilities aren't great, but that shouldn't have been what he was brought here for. The best defence we've had in many years had him and Keogh playing week in, week out at the back. They knew each other's strengths and weaknesses and formed a very strong partnership. Not his fault he got injured last year, but I tell you now we missed him looking at how poor Pearce was January onwards!

Im sure that getting him off the wage bill now Davies is here is sensible, but let's not forget how good a player he was and not dismiss him like some are doing. Imo he's in the top 5 centre backs we've had in recent years, and so far I've not seen Davies prove himself better.

I'm not going to criticise this one.

i would have brought him back, and paid over the odds.

he tightened up the defence under clement but we haven't seen him at his best.

In fact....we'd hardly seen him.

1 minute ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Me too but Pearce will be on what? 15K a week, Shackell 40K. That's one reason why we're keeping Pearce. These wages are totally guesstimates by the way.

Another, I have heard rumours in the past, yes rumours, that Shackell isn't the most liked in the dressing room. I do remember Rowett's reaction to Shackell being mentioned at some get together, I think it was at the Old Bell Fans Forum and while not saying anything untowards, his eyes went into immediate rolling mode. The body language spoke!

There was critiscm of him by some academy players on Twitter over the Rotherham incident. 

40 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

Pearce has the advantage of being younger and available most of the time.

I was all for Pearce at one time! but He really let Himself down towards the end of last season! And became a liability! IMO

Actually, I am not aware of the fact Gary Rowett has openly stated he is going to release him. Accordingly to the internet sources he said something like: Jason Shackell will be let go if we can find a potential suitor for him.

Anyway Jason Shackell and his wife just got themselves their first son, a few weeks ago.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-defender-jason-shackell-326572

Poor signing, in truth. Shackell is a top player in a defence that sits deep and defends via that method, however he was regularly exposed for pace when playing for Derby, and we all know how poor he is on the ball. Simply put, I don't think Shackell is a bad player by any means, however he just doesn't fit us at all. We went in our best spell from Bucko and Keogh playing the ball out of defence, to Shackell's woeful lumping. 

I think at 34 it's best to get him out the door if possible, if he has to be released so be it. I think both Pearce and Shackell are poor fits for Derby, but it makes more sense to keep Pearce as our back up due to the fact that he's younger and less injury prone. 

I think Davies is a much better fit for Derby, as he seems to be much better on the ball, although he has been questionable in a few aspects of decision making i.e Sunderland away. 

19 minutes ago, lioncoeur said:

Actually, I am not aware of the fact Gary Rowett has openly stated he is going to release him. Accordingly to the internet sources he said something like: Jason Shackell will be let go if we can find a potential suitor for him.

Anyway Jason Shackell and his wife just got themselves their first son, a few weeks ago.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-defender-jason-shackell-326572

So thats how he did his back in 9 months ago !!

Archived