Cameron Jerome - Signed 18 month deal

DcFc Dyycheee

25 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Can someone answer this as if they are GR?

(Phone rings)

GR : Mel I want to bring in a 31 year old striker CJ, from Norwich.

Mel: okay but Norwich don’t want him he’s not getting younger and why another striker when we are scoring for fun, and you have Vydra supporting either Winnall (scorer) Nuge (best partner) and Martin (hold up)? 

GR: my thinking is ___________ 

fill in blank cuz I can’t (- is it that he’s a tall guy and we don’t have that except for Bent ? )

Extremely powerful and a bully of a CF

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, eddie said:

Four months ago, I couldn't see a single positive at Derby County.

Fortunately the sum total of what I know amounts to about zilch whereas the manager seems to, well, manage. This might be another one of those moments.

Just took a look at highlights from their clubs tv channel and the commentators  call him Big Cam and the big man ... he’s very strong, fairly fast, works very hard not a natural finisher but boy he scores a high percentage of his goals with headers or flying headers. 

Based on that I think I see what Rowett is doing here: cuz we don’t have a big man who bullies defenders and gets on the end of crosses and corners. Bent did but he’s too static. For less than 2m to get that option with a hard worker like him makes sense.

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

It’s a good point. I rate Rowett and all his other signings have been top notch. I trust him to know what he’s doing. Just struggling to see what Jerome brings to the team, other than big wages.

I've not read much of this thread but I'm sure someone has probably already mentioned it, but Rowett loved Donaldson while he was at Brum and I could be wrong, but I seem to remember us being linked to him at one point since Rowett arrived. Now that's not possible with him joining Sheff United, Jerome is a good alternative. Both are experienced and have scored plenty of goals at this level over recent years and Jerome has helped teams get promoted to the Prem before whereas Donaldson has usually been involved in relegation scraps, but the main downside as you mention is his likely larger wages

5 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

His excellent hold up play will enable our Rolls Royce Vydra to end the season on 30 goals.

Let's start getting excited about our good looking hunk of a new striker.

Dig them cornrows!

Are you starting to believe he’s coming. 

Jerome is basically the same as Clayton Donaldson - he used to quite quick but the Norwich fans say he isn’t anymore and he simply isn’t one of those that is very good in the air- he is one of those who is left up front to be a nuisance to the opponent and historically has been what could be described as ok, he has basically had the same season as Chris Martin in that he has hardly been picked by his manager and only has one league goal to his name. If we need to move Martin out to free up FFP then why would we be spending  up to £2 million on him and his contract with Martin again due to return from some loan somewhere

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Jerome is basically the same as Clayton Donaldson - he used to quite quick but the Norwich fans say he isn’t anymore and he simply isn’t one of those that is very good in the air- he is one of those who is left up front to be a nuisance to the opponent and historically has been what could be described as ok, he has basically had the same season as Chris Martin in that he has hardly been picked by his manager and only has one league goal to his name. If we need to move Martin out to free up FFP then why would we be spending  up to £2 million on him and his contract with Martin again due to return from some loan somewhere

The difference between him and Martin is that the only physical threat Martin offers to a centre-half is that he might land on one of their toes when he falls over. Much as I've loved watching Martin over the last few years, he just doesn't fit into the style of play that we have at the moment so we may as well let him go and try something different...

39 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Can someone answer this as if they are GR?

(Phone rings)

GR : Mel I want to bring in a 31 year old striker CJ, from Norwich.

Mel: okay but Norwich don’t want him he’s not getting younger and why another striker when we are scoring for fun, and you have Vydra supporting either Winnall (scorer) Nuge (best partner) and Martin (hold up)? 

GR: my thinking is ___________ 

fill in blank cuz I can’t (- is it that he’s a tall guy and we don’t have that except for Bent ? )

That Colin's a right knob but he's got an eye for a player on the fringes and has a habit of getting them to play .Can we beat him to it?

Bigger wages than anyone else in the squad. For someone I hope would be sixth choice central striker. As if that's not going to be disruptive to a promotion push.

Those who complain Martin is slow - his game never relied on pace. Jerome's did but he's probably slower than Martin nowadays. The only people happy about this appear to be the Norwich fans, who simply can't belive their luck. Hope it's a smokescreen for something else.

Jerome is a decent player. I don't get the negativity to be honest and I'm usually downbeat these days. 

Last season, he had a good year at this level - not far off 20 goals and more than a handful of assists. 

As I've previously mentioned, it's no longer about the ability of player we bring in but their fit in our team. I'm comfortable that if he signs that he will offer more in this Derby team than Martin. I have no doubts Martin is the better player, technically, but it's like asking a cat to bark at times. Running the channels and stretching defences is unnatural for him. Jerome is far more suited to how we play, hence why I think he's a shrewd investment. 

I'd personally like to see us push the boat out for Afobe, although it seems unlikely given our financial restrictions. 

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

Bigger wages than anyone else in the squad. For someone I hope would be sixth choice central striker. As if that's not going to be disruptive to a promotion push.

Those who complain Martin is slow - his game never relied on pace. Jerome's did but he's probably slower than Martin nowadays. The only people happy about this appear to be the Norwich fans, who simply can't belive their luck. Hope it's a smokescreen for something else.

That’s not true. 

5 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

The difference between him and Martin is that the only physical threat Martin offers to a centre-half is that he might land on one of their toes when he falls over. Much as I've loved watching Martin over the last few years, he just doesn't fit into the style of play that we have at the moment so we may as well let him go and try something different...

I understand all of that but currently our manager is using Martin but if he wants to swap basically for Jerome then why are we handing over a transfer fee of £2 milllion and a contract that would probably be 2.5- 3 years because no one else is? 

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I fear not 

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

You believe after all the talk from Mel and Gary about being sensible this season and trying to remain in profit that they'd abandon all that and sign a striker who isn't likely to be 1st choice and then give him better wages than everyone in the team? 

Archived