Live games 2017/18

CumbrianRam

12 minutes ago, David said:

Bris, if it was such a poor league why are Arsenal the only club to have gone an entire season unbeaten even with Abramovich's money when it arrived?

I think it's fair to say you are quite a fan of Man City these days and that's fine, they are a great side but that's no reason to downplay Arsenal's Invincible's, to not come off the pitch being beaten over an entire season is an incredible achievement emulated by nobody. 

As you keep saying, other clubs have picked up more points, scored more, conceded less yet none have experienced a season of being unbeaten. 

Who is the "best" is the same as who is the "biggest", you can twist it to give you the answer you want, for you it's Man City. 

In 5, 10 years time outside of Man City will anyone really remember this team? In what way will it stand out in the history books?

I bet if you polled Premier League fans now and asked them Which club was relegated with the fewest points in a Premier League season a large percentage without Google wouldn't be able to tell you who and what the points total was.

Ask them which club went an entire season unbeaten, Arsenal.

What’s football without debating and comparing? It’s what makes it fun.

I believe this Man City team are better than that Arsenal team, I’ve explained why.

Certain posters have now suggested City aren’t as good due to their defeat to Liverpool.

I’m merely suggesting otherwise and putting my reasons forward.

I’ve never had this much enjoyment watching a PL team before. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I believe this Man City team are better than that Arsenal team, I’ve explained why.

Certain posters have now suggested City aren’t as good due to their defeat to Liverpool.

Not trying to put an end to the debate, just putting my thoughts across!

January probably isn't time to truly compare with games to play and I'm not sure you could ever truly compare the two, are we down a similar path as Maradona v Messi, different eras.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say.

It will be interesting to see if this team sticks together to become a "great" side , when you think of great teams they have a core that for a number of seasons Man Utd's Neville brothers, Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Butt, Barcelona and Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Messi....

Does this team have the same ingredients to go on and truly be remembered, will Guardiola stick around to see that happen, I'm not sure it does and will.

46 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

In fairness, I said that this City side weren't as good as the Arsenal Invincibles long before this defeat to Liverpool.

I speak as a neutral. A Derby County fan with no allegiance or vested interest in either side. You speak as someone with an unwavering allegiance to Guardiola and whichever team he manages. So it's difficult to really debate such a topic with you.

As I said, all things being equal, I think you would be right to say that Guardiola's City are better than Arsenal of 2004. But from a financial perspective, Arsenal were punching above their weight and many experts had them as second or even third favourites for the title that year. City are not punching above their weight. City are not upsetting the odds. So things are not equal.

Arsenal were appreciated for their achievement because they played a beautiful brand of football, they could attack and defend in equal measure, and most of all, because they could outperform teams who had far greater resources.

If City go on to win the title and have a record breaking season, it'll be memorable for City fans and Guardiola fans. But for the impartial neutral? It's doubtful. When you spend £400 million over two seasons and have someone in charge who most people regard as the best coach in the world, it doesn't stray very far from reasonable expectations.

Arsenal winning the title and going a whole season unbeaten certainly did!

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

In fairness, I said that this City side weren't as good as the Arsenal Invincibles long before this defeat to Liverpool.

I speak as a neutral. A Derby County fan with no allegiance or vested interest in either side. You speak as someone with an unwavering allegiance to Guardiola and whichever team he manages. So it's difficult to really debate such a topic with you.

As I said, all things being equal, I think you would be right to say that Guardiola's City are better than Arsenal of 2004. But from a financial perspective, Arsenal were punching above their weight and many experts had them as second or even third favourites for the title that year. City are not punching above their weight. City are not upsetting the odds. So things are not equal.

Arsenal were appreciated for their achievement because they played a beautiful brand of football, they could attack and defend in equal measure, and most of all, because they could outperform teams who had far greater resources.

If City go on to win the title and have a record breaking season, it'll be memorable for City fans and Guardiola fans. But for the impartial neutral? It's doubtful. When you spend £400 million over two seasons and have someone in charge who most people regard as the best coach in the world, it doesn't stray very far from reasonable expectations.

But that’s like saying Forest won the European cup twice, against all expectations, making them the best team ever, and I’m not having that.

If the criteria for ‘best team’ is simply to defy expeditions, then Leicester probably win that crown, and just for fairness, I’ll add our first championship winning season, and I’m sure there’s loads of examples further down the league. 

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I may have an allegiance to Pep, but forgive me if I’m totally wrong here, but I don’t see you as particularly neutral. From previous posts, I get the impression you’re the opposite and in the Man City thread a few posters particularly seemed to revel when they dropped points against Everton and went 1-0 down at Bournemouth.

To counter your Arsenal point, I don’t think them winning the title in 2004 came as a surprise. Only United had greater resources at the time, so as for outperforming teams who were financially stronger I can only assume you meant United.

I also don’t understand your comment about City are not punching above their weight when you tipped them to finish 3rd or 4th this season.

Out of their starting XI who played against Liverpool, only Aguero and Fernandinho have actually won the PL title. They’ve spent £400m on players with potential, not the finished article.

Financially, they have no more weight than either United or Chelsea and there isn’t a single player which they’ve bought in the past 24 months that Liverpool, United or Chelsea couldn’t have afforded.

Are City in such an advantageous position over their rivals compared to Arsenal 13-15 years ago? I don’t think they are. Whereas nowadays there are up to four clubs who can pay ‘City figures’ for players, back then it was only two.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I may have an allegiance to Pep, but forgive me if I’m totally wrong here, but I don’t see you as particularly neutral. From previous posts, I get the impression you’re the opposite and in the Man City thread a few posters particularly seemed to revel when they dropped points against Everton and went 1-0 down at Bournemouth.

To counter your Arsenal point, I don’t think them winning the title in 2004 came as a surprise. Only United had greater resources at the time, so as for outperforming teams who were financially stronger I can only assume you meant United.

I also don’t understand your comment about City are not punching above their weight when you tipped them to finish 3rd or 4th this season.

Out of their starting XI who played against Liverpool, only Aguero and Fernandinho have actually won the PL title. They’ve spent £400m on players with potential, not the finished article.

Financially, they have no more weight than either United or Chelsea and there isn’t a single player which they’ve bought in the past 24 months that Liverpool, United or Chelsea couldn’t have afforded.

Are City in such an advantageous position over their rivals compared to Arsenal 13-15 years ago? I don’t think they are. Whereas nowadays there are up to four clubs who can pay ‘City figures’ for players, back then it was only two.

Chelsea, Leeds, Liverpool and even Newcastle had a higher transfer record than Arsenal at that time, Tottenham were not far behind either.

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

VAR chickened out of reviewing penalty decision 

no point having technology that they can pick and chose when to apply

Was a tough call which was not clear cut. VAR should not be used where it is a matter of opinion. And in any case doesn't the referee have to refer it to them?

I actually think ref got it right yet the pundits certain it was a penalty.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Was a tough call which was not clear cut. VAR should not be used where it is a matter of opinion. And in any case doesn't the referee have to refer it to them?

Thought he was bang on also. Shearer pretty idiotic and thought shambolic in his vitriol. He’ll not suggest an alternative, 

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Clear penalty.

14 minutes ago, RamNut said:

VAR chickened out of reviewing penalty decision 

no point having technology that they can pick and chose when to apply

We will let the clubs dictate when to then instead...... 

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

We will let the clubs dictate when to then instead...... 

Eh?

prior to the game the pretend video chicken ref said that they review every penalty decision, and every penalty claim.

Chickened out for fear of making the ref look a prat.

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Eh?

prior to the game the pretend video chicken ref said that they review every penalty decision, and every penalty claim.

Chickened out for fear of making the ref look a prat.

Lol, absolute cobblers and you know it. Guessing the lino in the Leicester v Fleetwood game was made to look one then.....

Makes me laugh. 

See Chelsea are falling apart right now and it’s all down to cheating. 

Just made another excellent call. 

Archived