Fans Forum | Silk Mill Museum | 24/08/17

Day
Message added by Day

10 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Will pick you up on one point, you say about taking hits on unwanted players but how can they do this when if, as said, MM has already financed us up to the FFP limit?

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

I would also take issue with how you addressed Rowett's response to the question of overseas players - I'd invite you to listen to it again.

He said we don't have the resources to unearth the gems like the big clubs do, and anyone we'd try to sign, a whole host of other clubs would already know. He also didn't rule out signing players from Germany because he says he does trust his contacts there.

He did say scouting has changed to become more technological, but that wasn't the reason he gave for keeping our scouting largely at home.

2 hours ago, Duracell said:

He said we don't have the resources to unearth the gems like the big clubs do, and anyone we'd try to sign, a whole host of other clubs would already know. He also didn't rule out signing players from Germany because he says he does trust his contacts there.

He did say scouting has changed to become more technological, but that wasn't the reason he gave for keeping our scouting largely at home.

This is the most disappointing part of the transfer window so far - still no chance of foreign signings. Wales doesn't count as foreign.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

This is the most disappointing part of the transfer window so far - still no chance of foreign signings. Wales doesn't count as foreign.

What is disappointing about it? 

We want good signings, why does it matter where they come from?

3 hours ago, Duracell said:

I would also take issue with how you addressed Rowett's response to the question of overseas players - I'd invite you to listen to it again.

Yep that's what I heard as well, it also highlights the reality of the finances of the top clubs who can soak up the costs 

18 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I didn't hear Mel Morris fielding any questions regards the lack of academy players in the first team when this was laid out as one of his pillars, can anyone help me with any detail I may have missed?

Mel Morris: "I think it’s been interesting that we haven’t had a lot of opportunity for youngsters to feature. The size of the squad really constrained that for a good while but the quality coming through is as good as it’s ever been.”

On 8/28/2017 at 19:47, ramblur said:

On a separate note,with reference to clubs like Newcastle,relegated clubs have far higher FFP thresholds for a period (depending on the number of years they were in the Prem in a given 3 year cycle). 

More shoddy work by me,as that's only an advantage to them if they significantly undershot the £35m FFP loss allowed them in their Prem year/s. What I should have said is that such clubs have the advantage of hefty parachute payments,which allows them to incur more expenditure (and even that might not be a massive advantage for clubs bringing down hefty wage bills).Perhaps a bigger advantage might accrue to those who managed to offload Prem players at a significant profit-something we failed at miserably.

57 minutes ago, ramblur said:

More shoddy work by me,as that's only an advantage to them if they significantly undershot the £35m FFP loss allowed them in their Prem year/s. What I should have said is that such clubs have the advantage of hefty parachute payments,which allows them to incur more expenditure (and even that might not be a massive advantage for clubs bringing down hefty wage bills).Perhaps a bigger advantage might accrue to those who managed to offload Prem players at a significant profit-something we failed at miserably.

Newcastle did this quite well under benitez. 

Our last clear out was hampered by the fact that there was no detectable premier league quality in our premiership squad.

On 30 August 2017 at 00:06, Inglorius said:

I didn't hear Mel Morris fielding any questions regards the lack of academy players in the first team when this was laid out as one of his pillars, can anyone help me with any detail I may have missed?

He said we had four academy players on the pitch v Grimsby and that was pretty good.

Archived