The fall of Johnny Russell

Thierry Ennui

3 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Then how can you comment on Russell's performances? He's been dire for the past 12 months. Last night was his last chance imo. He had to prove himself to be better than Weimann to be able to not lose his spot to Lawrence. Didn't take his chance. He didn't even try, he normally has excellent work effort to compensate for the lack of quality in his game... Last night he didn't even work hard. He was shocking. 

Are you sure you went to the right game? 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Then how can you comment on Russell's performances? He's been dire for the past 12 months. Last night was his last chance imo. He had to prove himself to be better than Weimann to be able to not lose his spot to Lawrence. Didn't take his chance. He didn't even try, he normally has excellent work effort to compensate for the lack of quality in his game... Last night he didn't even work hard. He was shocking. 

I'm commenting on Johnnys performances over the past seasons, Not since Iv'e been on holiday! It's alright having a good work effort, It's what happens at the end of the effort you have put in brings results, ie scoring for one of them examples

His performance last night was one of the worst I've seen by a Derby player in a long time, I'm talking Pearson and Teale at their very worst. 

He didn't even pretend to be interested. 

We were attacking down the left and he was strolling along in our own half. He wasn't even attempting to mark or close down the full back when they had the ball. 

He stands like a statue when our midfield have the ball. 

Done well in the past, but time to go now Johnny. 

Just now, Smyth_18 said:

Without reading the whole thread, has anybody mentioned the south stand singing his name on several occasions to get behind him?

people are always quick to point out when the South Stand do wrong...

True.

the south stand are great at getting behind the lads.

trouble is they've usually all gone home by 85 mins :thumbsup:

Just now, curb said:

We were attacking down the left and he was strolling along in our own half.

I noticed that too.

but i wondered whether he was carrying an injury because its out of character.

9 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Without reading the whole thread, has anybody mentioned the south stand singing his name on several occasions to get behind him?

people are always quick to poerbyint out when the South Stand do wrong...

Yeh! It always brings a lump to my throat when I hear Come on Derby, Come on Derby!

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

He would be the first to admit that he's not been good enough and can do better.

I was pleased to see glimpses of an upturn in the 2nd half last night.

Probably naive on my part but I'm going to take the unusual approach of putting an arm round him and supporting him through it,in a similar fashion to when one of my kids school reports is a bit crap.

Rather than booing them,telling them they're a s**** waste of space and to f*** off to Birmingham I'll be patient,encourage and support them,help them through it,try and get the best out of them.

How bad was your kids report if you considered sending them to Birmingham?!

15 minutes ago, curb said:

His performance last night was one of the worst I've seen by a Derby player in a long time, I'm talking Pearson and Teale at their very worst. 

He didn't even pretend to be interested. 

We were attacking down the left and he was strolling along in our own half. He wasn't even attempting to mark or close down the full back when they had the ball. 

He stands like a statue when our midfield have the ball. 

Done well in the past, but time to go now Johnny. 

That's because he knows he's lost his place to Lawrence.

45 minutes ago, nottingram said:

?

If you think that a nasty atmosphere towards a player clearly lacking in confidence is going to help him, then carry on.

He takes the easy option: "FFS Russell take your man on you coward"

He tries to go past a man: "FFS Russell stop trying stuff you know you can't do, our attacks always break down with you"

He wasn't good last season, he knows it I know it you know it we all know it. Before that he was absolutely fine. He was also absolutely fine last night past about twenty minutes, created a nice chance for Weimann with a lovely reverse ball which got stuck under Weimann's feet, beat his man a few times as well. He's also created our only goal from open play this season as someone has pointed out.

Either my eyes are getting worse and I need a stronger prescription or it was Vydra who created that chance with the reverse pass to Weimann who curled it wide? 

Can anyone confirm or deny whether a trip to specsavers is required? 

39 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The thing with johnny is.......he's a great lad, total Ram, but is enduring a lengthy spell of poor form.

he doesn't necessarily need selling.

he might want resting.

i still prefer him to Anya.

part of the problem may be playing him on the right. There was a chance v preston where he had to get the ball onto his left foot to shoot, and ended up encountering traffic. If he could have gone the outside with his right he might have done better.

He frustrates me but so do a lot of our players regularly throughout the match so I'm not singling him out for criticism on that basis. I do however have a problem with this point here. 

I'm right footed. When I'm on the left, I will go on the outside of the defender and will deliver a cross with my left foot or I'll get a shot away with my left foot. Now granted it won't be as good as if I'd used my right foot but I get my fair share of goals with my left. If some useless enthusiast like myself can be getting snapshots away with my weaker foot then I expect a professional to be able to. 

I think any professional footballer who can't do everything with their weaker foot is an embarrassment, it's their job to be able to.  

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Either my eyes are getting worse and I need a stronger prescription or it was Vydra who created that chance with the reverse pass to Weimann who curled it wide? 

Can anyone confirm or deny whether a trip to specsavers is required? 

I know the one you mean, but there was an incident a bit later I think, Russell cut inside and played a reverse into Weimann, who got the ball stuck in his feet then over hit the cross to Nugent. 

Just now, nottingram said:

I know the one you mean, but there was an incident a bit later I think, Russell cut inside and played a reverse into Weimann, who got the ball stuck in his feet then over hit the cross to Nugent. 

ahh thanks, I'd forgotten about that one!

Think Russell is going to struggle to get a look in with the signing of Tom Lawrence. Russell always looked best in a 4-3-3 next to Martin, with many runners to help him in a top attacking side. Now, I can't say that Russell gets much support from our midfielders, however I would prefer it if he stayed wide more often, he always wants to cut inside. 

I think some confidence would do Russell a world of good. Think he's badly struggling with it.

Archived