The fall of Johnny Russell

Thierry Ennui

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh - I mean I remember last season and everyone else was great, and everything was rosy, and we had a great manager and we had solidity and cohesion and consistency and there was never any trouble and we created loads of chances and our midfield was awesome and we didn't rely on our CB to do all the link up play and we had a recognised centre-forward who was actually AT the club and we never changed formation and we didn't change the style of play and no-one could possibly have been affected by any of that and it's definitely just that one player - One single player - Is the main problem we had last season...

cbc17fa6d8729a4c70bf90beeae7c2d4--idiots

Absolutely spot on, he is a valuable player in our squad and our set up

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Ince also contributed a lot less defensively and at times was equally as frustrating as Russell, he was just capable of a bit more magic.

Total myth, Ince worked as hard as Russell defensively, the whole idea that Ince didn't work hard or track back is a joke.

I'm sorry but he's been crap for ages. Still one of the weakest performers last night yet he always gets defended by fans, while Weimanns every move is analysed to see if something is wrong! It's his decision making that does it for me, he never bloody well gets his head up and looks at what options are available- too many times last night he missed players like vydra and Weimann making excellent runs into space and ended up dribbling into a wall of defenders.

Lawrence and Weimann for me on Saturday 100%.

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh - I mean I remember last season and everyone else was great, and everything was rosy, and we had a great manager and we had solidity and cohesion and consistency and there was never any trouble and we created loads of chances and our midfield was awesome and we didn't rely on our CB to do all the link up play and we had a recognised centre-forward who was actually AT the club and we never changed formation and we didn't change the style of play and no-one could possibly have been affected by any of that and it's definitely just that one player - One single player - Is the main problem we had last season...

cbc17fa6d8729a4c70bf90beeae7c2d4--idiots

As previously mentioned, Ince had great numbers last season.

I think the main thing to take from the numbers is that Russell has had just as many shots but his conversion has dropped massively.

Just now, Penelope Pendrex said:

As previously mentioned, Ince had great numbers last season.

I think the main thing to take from the numbers is that Russell has had just as many shots but his conversion has dropped massively.

Carson was decent last season - Ince was decent

Former England keeper - One of the best wingers (top 3?) in the league and now playing in the PL

Yes Russell had a bad season last year - But so did more than half the squad - a LOT more than half the squad - Hughes was pretty poor for example - There are LOADS of reasons behind it and it's not as simple as "well he's obviously rubbish now"

I think he's caught Damien Duff disease. He suddenly just stopped going past players and his career seemed to collapse almost overnight. 

Russell's speed and head down endeavour was a nightmare to defend against and mutch like Ward, could create things from nothing. He doesn't go past players any more. 

If it's a confidence thing I don't know. I think he needs dropping and that will make or break. Hopefully make. 

I have to say though, having played a bit, having a constant turnover of managers isn't going to help a player. Certainly not one with a confidence issue. Every few months the players have the insecurity of whether the new manager likes them, wants them, has a place for them, sees them as an asset to sell etc. 

Our trigger finger has a lot to do with our fall from grace post Wembley. Imo. 

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Total myth, Ince worked as hard as Russell defensively, the whole idea that Ince didn't work hard or track back is a joke.

No one says Ince wasn't good for us, if Pearson had stayed maybe he would have been poor, Ince was dropped by Pearson for not doing enough! Russell is someone who obviously needs his own confidence high and if the team work like last night the team and the likes of Russell and wieman could be very productive with hopefully Lawrence 

I actually don't think he was as bad as people are suggesting last night but it's time to move him on because he's in the last year of his contract and it's gone very stale. He's the perfect example of a player needing a fresh start to reinvigorate his career.

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

Carson was decent last season - Ince was decent

Former England keeper - One of the best wingers (top 3?) in the league and now playing in the PL

Yes Russell had a bad season last year - But so did more than half the squad - a LOT more than half the squad - Hughes was pretty poor for example - There are LOADS of reasons behind it and it's not as simple as "well he's obviously rubbish now"

Can you show me where I've said he's rubbish?

I've created a thread to show that his shot conversion has dropped from 14% to 3%. Less than a quarter of what he used to do. He takes just as many shots but has stopped scoring. You could argue the chances are lower quality but he gets in good positions every week so I don't really buy that. Don't you think that's worthy of remark? I've even praised many aspects of his game. Not sure what you're arguing with to be honest.

4 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

Russell's speed and head down endeavour was a nightmare to defend against and mutch like Ward, could create things from nothing. He doesn't go past players any more. 

We've scored 2 goals this season - And the only one from open play came from Russell showing fight and endeavor to go past someone in the box...

:D

Just now, cheron85 said:

We've scored 2 goals this season - And the only one from open play came from Russell showing fight and endeavor to go past someone in the box...

:D

Before aimlessly smashing it into a defender and getting a lucky ricochet to Johnson, who was completely wide open, at the back post.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

I actually don't think he was as bad as people are suggesting last night but it's time to move him on because he's in the last year of his contract and it's gone very stale. He's the perfect example of a player needing a fresh start to reinvigorate his career.

I wouldn't  argue with the club selling anyone in their last year of his contract whoever they were but Russell and Thorne are two who I would try to extend due to their re-sale value and positive impact they can have on the team.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Before aimlessly smashing it into a defender and getting a lucky ricochet to Johnson, who was completely wide open, at the back post.

And in the second half in that game where he completely messed up a great counter attack which should have led to a chance on goal.

11 minutes ago, eddie said:

Is he a permanent scapegoat now, or is it just until Johnson does something wrong?

By the looks of it yes and also.you should have heard the horrible abuse at Sunderland (some of our fans are a jokes) 

Just now, McLovin said:

And in the second half in that game where he completely messed up a great counter attack which should have led to a chance on goal.

His last 5 minutes before getting subbed were quite funny, I recall. Think he gave the ball away so many times I was screaming at the TV to sub him before it cost us.

1 minute ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Can you show me where I've said he's rubbish?

I've created a thread to show that his shot conversion has dropped from 14% to 3%. Less than a quarter of what he used to do. He takes just as many shots but has stopped scoring. You could argue the chances are lower quality but he gets in good positions every week so I don't really buy that. Don't you think that's worthy of remark? I've even praised many aspects of his game. Not sure what you're arguing with to be honest.

You created a thread with the title "The fall of Johnny Russell" - Yeeeeeehhhhhhh you're not suggesting anything at all are you? :blink:

This is yet another thread for Russell-bashing which is unnecessary - There are about 10 of them already - But you obviously wanted to give more prominence to your point so you started ANOTHER thread about it - I mean - What exactly did you expect to happen with a thread of this title?

We're 3 games into the season - We've scored 2 goals - He created one of them

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

There was a suggestion he didn't go past players - I countered it

He played a ball in towards a dangerous position and a defender made a block - Pretty sure that's how Wolves scored their first on Saturday too - It happens quite a lot in football - The difficult bit was getting into the box, past a player and getting the ball to end up somewhere in the middle of the goal mouth

Archived