The fall of Johnny Russell

Thierry Ennui

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

You created a thread with the title "The fall of Johnny Russell" - Yeeeeeehhhhhhh you're not suggesting anything at all are you? :blink:

This is yet another thread for Russell-bashing which is unnecessary - There are about 10 of them already - But you obviously wanted to give more prominence to your point so you started ANOTHER thread about it - I mean - What exactly did you expect to happen with a thread of this title?

We're 3 games into the season - We've scored 2 goals - He created one of them

Bang on Cheron.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, cheron85 said:

There was a suggestion he didn't go past players - I countered it

He played a ball in towards a dangerous position and a defender made a block - Pretty sure that's how Wolves scored their first on Saturday too - It happens quite a lot in football - The difficult bit was getting into the box, past a player and getting the ball to end up somewhere in the middle of the goal mouth

Wolves scored on Saturday by shooting wide, not missing a wide open pass.

22 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Not blaming the fans as he is frustrating but basically from the first minute yesterday the atmosphere towards him was pretty nasty, at least that's how it felt.

Seems to have done a complete 180 from how he used to be viewed, as now I think he gets a harder time from the fans than anyone else.

I don't think it helps at all and no wonder he hides and takes the easy decision a lot of the time.

20 minutes ago, Srg said:

Well he's had an easy ride of playing like this for over a year now, so blaming the fans for that is just daft.

?

If you think that a nasty atmosphere towards a player clearly lacking in confidence is going to help him, then carry on.

He takes the easy option: "FFS Russell take your man on you coward"

He tries to go past a man: "FFS Russell stop trying stuff you know you can't do, our attacks always break down with you"

He wasn't good last season, he knows it I know it you know it we all know it. Before that he was absolutely fine. He was also absolutely fine last night past about twenty minutes, created a nice chance for Weimann with a lovely reverse ball which got stuck under Weimann's feet, beat his man a few times as well. He's also created our only goal from open play this season as someone has pointed out.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Not as intended then, anyway we now have scored two goals which is a 100% improvement on last season and we have a whole month   And a half to possibly get more! 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

I'm starting to get the impression you don't watch a lot of football... You know there are 11 players on the other team trying to stop us scoring right? They have a tendency to try and block passes - And get themselves in a position to do so - Sometimes they succeed - So when a player is trying to pass to our centre-forward in the goalmouth it doesn't always work - However if they manage to get it into a dangerous area in the box with lots of our players rushing in that's called a "good" thing - Because it gives our team a better chance of scoring what the commentators often call a "goal"

10 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

We've scored 2 goals this season - And the only one from open play came from Russell showing fight and endeavor to go past someone in the box...

:D

Let's be honest about this! You can not question Johnnys endeavor, the reality is there is no end product :angry:

Just now, cheron85 said:

I'm starting to get the impression you don't watch a lot of football... You know there are 11 players on the other team trying to stop us scoring right? They have a tendency to try and block passes - And get themselves in a position to do so - Sometimes they succeed - So when a player is trying to pass to our centre-forward in the goalmouth it doesn't always work - However if they manage to get it into a dangerous area in the box with lots of our players rushing in that's called a "good" thing - Because it gives our team a better chance of scoring what the commentators often call a "goal"

Brilliant.

I'll just stop now that you've gone down the immature route.

Just now, Budgie895 said:

Let's be honest about this! You can not question Johnnys endeavor, the reality is there is no end product :angry:

Assisted 50% of our goals this season - In fact he is the ONLY player in our entire squad who actually has an assist

So the end product of everyone else must be SHOCKING

Just now, belperam96 said:

If criticising a player that has consistently under performed for 18 months is classed as making him a permanent scapegoat. Then yes.

Now come on, being terrible for an extended amount of time is no reason to criticise. It's down to Pearson and McClaren and Rowett to ensure our players don't forget how to play football properly. 

The thing with johnny is.......he's a great lad, total Ram, but is enduring a lengthy spell of poor form.

he doesn't necessarily need selling.

he might want resting.

i still prefer him to Anya.

part of the problem may be playing him on the right. There was a chance v preston where he had to get the ball onto his left foot to shoot, and ended up encountering traffic. If he could have gone the outside with his right he might have done better.

Just now, Srg said:

Brilliant.

I'll just stop now that you've gone down the immature route.

Why? It's my default route... :)

How many football coaches, pundits, players, managers, ball-boys have we all heard over the years saying things like "the important thing is to get it into dangerous areas" - Because randomness happens in football and getting the ball into dangerous areas is key - That's how Wolves scored their first and that's what Russell did against Sunderland - It's what we were shockingly bad at last season

Watch the video again - He was trying to get the ball to Martin in the middle and was trying to thread a needle between two defenders - The defender reacted to it but the intent was getting the ball into the danger area and in that he succeeded

The Wolves goal on Saturday wasn't bad - It was fortunate in the end - But their winger did the right thing - Hit it hard towards the goal in a crowded box

20 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I actually don't think he was as bad as people are suggesting last night but it's time to move him on because he's in the last year of his contract and it's gone very stale. He's the perfect example of a player needing a fresh start to reinvigorate his career.

I agree that he wasn't awful last night. He also got a fearful clattering on more than one occasion.

The opening game of the season summed Johnny up for me.

His part in the goal was excellent - outstanding control, beat his full back and crossed for Johnson to score. A bit later he collected a pass from Carson, turned his man really well and bore down on goal. But he didn't get his head up as he approached the 18 yard box, kept it too long, didn't know what to do and then ran out of space. Goal kick.

Then there are the regular 10 yard passes which go to the opposition and which for a coach must be so infuriating. 

In the early second half a couple of times he ran back and supported his full back very well as Sunderland went through their dangerous spell.

So in short: works hard, team player, capable of pulling something out of the bag and doing something amazing every so often.

But in between just not that good.

I get the impression that he is a bright fella who is reflective of his own game.  As a result he is putting himself under a great deal of pressure. (Some players are too arrogant or daft to notice.)

His workrate would suggest he's dying to to do well. He knows he's not producing the goods on a consistent basis anymore.

His biggest problem is the fragility of his confidence levels.

I've just got a feeling with Russell that if he moved to a different club he'd be rejuvenated. I think he's a great addition, from what I've seen to the dressing room. And I'm personally sad he's not progressed the way we thought he would. I remember being sat reading the Russell thread waiting for him to land from Ibiza.

1 minute ago, Budgie895 said:

You for real! Part time politican? How many goals we scored this season? Quoting 50% of 2 goals, (Oh by the way I'm abroad and been following results on forum and BBC sport) :whistle:

Then how can you comment on Russell's performances? He's been dire for the past 12 months. Last night was his last chance imo. He had to prove himself to be better than Weimann to be able to not lose his spot to Lawrence. Didn't take his chance. He didn't even try, he normally has excellent work effort to compensate for the lack of quality in his game... Last night he didn't even work hard. He was shocking. 

I don't know why this topic is so divisive, if Russell were a golfer his club or shot selection would be quite rightly questioned on a routine basis. He has the ability to get himself into a promising position then the final pass is either hopeless or the final shot scuffed or ends up in Row Z. Nothing new here.

Archived