Gary still assessing this squad

Curtains

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think it just showed some major flaws from the past and can't see it changing until those deadwood players in the squad are moved on, will be difficult unless MM takes massive hits on them.

So want Russell to have that end product but was rarely evident, Vydra looked great and I would expect Butterfield to make way for a new creative midfielder

Only way for Rowett to instantly become the saviour is to have a massive war chest to sign who he wants without moving anyone on. This isn't an easy job and it may well be second half of the season before we come on strong. That's why the manager needs time.

At this stage it's looking at signs of improvement or a different style of play. Thought we defended well last night, the new signings all looked good and we controlled the last 20 and missed 2 glorious chances we'd have buried on another day.

I think midfield is an issue if we're going to play 4-3-3 with the current personnel. To find the balance. If he signs no one else, then need to consider Bryson in midfield or if he won't do that then Nugent instead of Chrissy.

Sorry curtains, for me, he had the 8 or 9 games towards the end of last season for assessing his squad.

I'm not putting any blame on him for lack of ins and outs, you can't sell what others don't want and you can't buy that'll do kind of players if your original targets are overpriced.

I thought Russell was blowing like an old blowy thing before his substitution so I would question if he was really as fit as you think.

I do tire of all this "we've got to hit the ground running" rhetoric, talk is cheap, I was disappointed with our opening few minutes, I didn't see much hitting the ground running.

I wish Rowett the best for the coming season of course but I think you are being kind saying we were better than expected last night with respect.

2 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Only way for Rowett to instantly become the saviour is to have a massive war chest to sign who he wants without moving anyone on. This isn't an easy job and it may well be second half of the season before we come on strong. That's why the manager needs time.

At this stage it's looking at signs of improvement or a different style of play. Thought we defended well last night, the new signings all looked good and we controlled the last 20 and missed 2 glorious chances we'd have buried on another day.

I think midfield is an issue if we're going to play 4-3-3 with the current personnel. To find the balance. If he signs no one else, then need to consider Bryson in midfield or if he won't do that then Nugent instead of Chrissy.

Some encouraging signs last night particularly fitness wise but it's all about blend and formation for me at the moment. 

Still early days yet though ,

Sunderland away was always going to be tough start for me with them out to prove  themselves to Grayson at home. 

He knows the squad.

he knows what they can and can't do

anyway.....he said he knew what he wanted to do before he'd even arrived.

5 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Sorry curtains, for me, he had the 8 or 9 games towards the end of last season for assessing his squad.

I'm not putting any blame on him for lack of ins and outs, you can't sell what others don't want and you can't buy that'll do kind of players if your original targets are overpriced.

I thought Russell was blowing like an old blowy thing before his substitution so I would question if he was really as fit as you think.

I do tire of all this "we've got to hit the ground running" rhetoric, talk is cheap, I was disappointed with our opening few minutes, I didn't see much hitting the ground running.

I wish Rowett the best for the coming season of course but I think you are being kind saying we were better than expected last night with respect.

I'm saying better than what I expected away at Sunderland and I know it's going to be a tough season for Rowett and Derby.  

Home form will be massive for us this season and a point away is always good. 

PS.  That was never a penalty and we should have had one on  Curtis Davies. 

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

He knows the squad.

he knows what they can and can't do

anyway.....he said he knew what he wanted to do before he'd even arrived.

Let's see how we go at Home as away at Sunderland was always hard for first game. 

9 minutes ago, curtains said:

Let's see how we go at Home as away at Sunderland was always hard for first game. 

Except they *were* there for the taking. We were set up wrong, far too cautious.

I think he over-estimated the ease of moving on our overpaid players. What now for Blackman, Anya, Olson and probably Weimann?

I  wonder if he will implement his (last season) talked of method of 'separating out' the players he wants gone so he can concentrate on a tight-knit smaller squad?

25 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Russell took a kick quite early second half. He was struggling from then on. He was asked at least 3 times from the bench if he was ok, to which he gave thumbs up. He clearly wasn't though and should have been replaced at least 20 mins earlier. Being generous I'm happy to accept the knock was the reason for his poor display in the 2 nd half in contrast to a much better 1st 

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Except they *were* there for the taking. We were set up wrong, far too cautious.

I think he over-estimated the ease of moving on our overpaid players. What now for Blackman, Anya, Olson and probably Weimann?

I  wonder if he will implement his (last season) talked of method of 'separating out' the players he wants gone so he can concentrate on a tight-knit smaller squad?

IYO they were there for the taking .

The result was about right over 90 minutes which I predicted in the prediction thread.  

Gary will do it his way whether that's the right way of not time will tell. 

Football management is easy from the armchair.

45 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Russell took a kick quite early second half. He was struggling from then on. He was asked at least 3 times from the bench if he was ok, to which he gave thumbs up. He clearly wasn't though and should have been replaced at least 20 mins earlier. Being generous I'm happy to accept the knock was the reason for his poor display in the 2 nd half in contrast to a much better 1st 

Gary has previously said he wants players to play on carrying knocks and injuries.

GR should already know his squad and I think he does.

Set piece aside I thought defensively we we're okay but much work to do, especially from those corners and Sunderland weren't a big side but this is a concern.

GR will know the midfield three of TH, BJ and JB are all too slow and Russell and Weimann are just not comfortable enough on the ball for that position. I reckon GR would like to move on 3 out of those 4 originals if he could. We certainly need more pace/movement/quality in that area to become top six and with the speculation who we are linked with them this is the type of player for this area.

Not sure how you get shot of these players without taking a big financial loss and GR has inferred this.

The positive for me was the fitness and impact from the bench, especially Vydra whose surely played his way in with Weimann playing his way out. 

On reflection then certainly more questions than answers and I'm feeling slightly deflated.

Felt we'd be top ten with the squad as it is but in my opinion this transfer window will be critical if we want to make a proper challenge for top  6.

Having said that I don't want us to chuck silly money out as we've done before ... 7 Million for Lawrence - as much as I'd like him, walk away. 

regards

Gangway D from the terrace

It was the first competitive game for Rowett with Martin wisdom wieman Huddlestone and Davies so yes he is still learning about them but the one thing that was abundantly obvious was that we only created anything was when the much criticised Russell ran into very good areas - yes we scored one from him and should have had more with better quality but nobody else looked likely did they? I think Russell ran himself into the ground and should have been replaced with 15-20 mins to go, he is simply our best wide man currently 

i thought Sunderland looked unfit 

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

It was the first competitive game for Rowett with Martin wisdom wieman Huddlestone and Davies so yes he is still learning about them but the one thing that was abundantly obvious was that we only created anything was when the much criticised Russell ran into very good areas - yes we scored one from him and should have had more with better quality but nobody else looked likely did they? I think Russell ran himself into the ground and should have been replaced with 15-20 mins to go, he is simply our best wide man currently 

i thought Sunderland looked unfit 

First game or not he should have known that hoofing it to Martin and giving him next to no support or service is just plain stupid.

Archived