Gary talks about new season

Curtains

6 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Whilst I sorta see your point we aren't as strong as we were in 13/14. The only area were the current side is stronger is defence and we have better cover up front and at CDM. Other than that we are much weaker in midfield and in the wide forward positions, with the crop of players you mentioned comfortably better than what we have currently. 

I think the strength of the team is relative to the style of football to be played.

If we're looking to have loads of possession then yes we have a weak midfield.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

I think we have a cracking foundation with genuine strength through the spine of our team. Back 5 are strong with decent cover. Huddkestone & Thorne are two of the best deep lying play makers in the division. Martin, Nuge and Vydra have plenty of goals in them. Where we are lacking right now is a top creative player at 10 or the wing. It's clearly a known priority for GR but I like that we're holding out for the right player at the right price. We've been mugged in the last few windows, so I have no problem making sure the deal is right. As it stands we'll be tough to beat and that's not a bad platform...

Sounds spot on. From his latest interview he puts onus on working with a core 23. So I don't think he's planning on making too many changes once he's got his balance.

A player that can play on the wings and as a number 10 would be ideal!

7 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Our most successful season of the 'new' Derby era was 2013/14. That season we had bamford, ward, Dawkins and Russell. 

The goals came from Chrissy Martin and Bryson that year. So who's to say that CM won't score 25 again and someone like Johnson/butters won't chip in with the rest. 

Gary knows what he's doing, if not then we'll be no worse off for it

I think Gary knows what he wants to do and who he wants to bring in but can't get them over the line at the moment. If we end up at the end of August with no more additions, I'm then really interested to see what he can do with the players we've already got. It's a talented squad.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-neymars-world-record-198m-274885

Asked if it has a drip effect down to the Championship, Rowett added: "Very much so, and we have seen that in this transfer window.

"While players would have moved for £2m or £3m last season, they are now fetching £6m, £7m or £8m.

Hughes and Ince would have moved for £8m, £9m or £10m last season, so why did they this season fetch near enough the same if everyone else's price is on the up? :(

26 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Hughes and Ince would have moved for £8m, £9m or £10m last season, so why did they this season fetch near enough the same if everyone else's price is on the up? :(

Dunno, where was the bidding war for them?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Dunno, where was the bidding war for them?

I don't think we gave anyone a chance to have a bidding for them considering they were sold at the end of June / start of July. And there's no bidding war for Lawrence (Brighton journalist said they weren't after him) but the price is still being pushed up massively.

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I don't think we gave anyone a chance to have a bidding for them considering they were sold at the end of June / start of July. And there's no bidding war for Lawrence (Brighton journalist said they weren't after him) but the price is still being pushed up massively.

Did we sell too cheap then ! 

3 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I can't remember who said it but one user said that the reason why we got rid of Hughes so quickly was so that it would count to last year's ffp so maybe we were slightly behind what was required?

Just now, curtains said:

Did we sell too cheap then ! 

In my opinion yes we did. Obviously I don't know how desperate Hughes and Ince were to get out of the club or if we had to sell them to be able to bring in Davies, Wisdom and Huddlestone, but we seemed to sell them to the first clubs who showed an interest. As we've seen, there aren't too many top level Championship wingers available who can score plenty of goals, but we sold one of the very best for a similar fee to what it'll cost us to sign Lawrence, Jota or maybe even Robinson. 

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I can't remember who said it but one user said that the reason why we got rid of Hughes so quickly was so that it would count to last year's ffp so maybe we were slightly behind what was required?

Yeah that makes some sense. And Rowett recently said the Hughes sale covered the signings we've made so far so I can probably understand him being let go early (although I do wish we'd have waited until after the u21 Euros just to see if he could gain a little more interest). It's the Ince sale and price I can't understand because we're going to end up paying similar for a replacement who just isn't as good as him.

9 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I definitely think we'll bring in another winger. Maybe not who people want, maybe not Lawrence, but someone. Just be patient. Lots of time left.

There will be someone coming in (hope so though) 

Some of the fans won't be patient though. 

29 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I definitely think we'll bring in another winger. Maybe not who people want, maybe not Lawrence, but someone. Just be patient. Lots of time left.

Agreed. I'm expecting at least one winger to go out too, so then maybe two in.

Departing could be Russell as he is running out of contract next summer.

1 hour ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

I think the strength of the team is relative to the style of football to be played.

If we're looking to have loads of possession then yes we have a weak midfield.

Whilst I agree with what you've said, I think the midfield we had in 13/14 was better regardless of play style.

35 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Whilst I agree with what you've said, I think the midfield we had in 13/14 was better regardless of play style.

I think the biggest loss has been Hendrick! Funny that as most weeks fans moaned about him.

Archived