The Yard

maydrakin

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Ow gowd!

:ph34r: you ain't seen me, alright?

Ain't seen who ?

Disclaimer  I acknowledge there are good people living in Allenton however those are not the people I referred to when I used the term Allenton's finest. 

Hope everybody is happy now :) * except Allenton's finest. ;)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Well, whilst I agree that football has become a corporate beast, I accept that the club has to move with the times or get left behind with FFP amongst other things.

Using the same argument, are you saying we should of stayed at the 20k capacity BBG?

No, not at all. I went to the Baseball Ground once as a four year old child.

Pride Park is what I know and love but it is so different even from when I first started going in 2001.

I look back at the matches, the moments, the personalities. Derby 1-3 Grimsby, John Oster's world class display, the storytelling grannies waving their walking sticks in disgust, for example. It all stays with you.

Is sitting in Starbucks with a mango iced tea lemonade next to people glued to their phones going to have the same nostalgia in 15 years?

Don't get me wrong, I love a red pepper and goat's cheese quiche as much as anyone, and I would give The Yard a try if I weren't moving to Italy in two days, but surely this is yet another sign that the club is continuing to move away from its traditional values.

There isn't much that the club has done in recent years that has resonated with me - the Clough and Taylor statue and that is it.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

No, not at all. I went to the Baseball Ground once as a four year old child.

Pride Park is what I know and love but it is so different even from when I first started going in 2001.

I look back at the matches, the moments, the personalities. Derby 1-3 Grimsby, John Oster's world class display, the storytelling grannies waving their walking sticks in disgust, for example. It all stays with you.

Is sitting in Starbucks with a mango iced tea lemonade next to people glued to their phones going to have the same nostalgia in 15 years?

Don't get me wrong, I love a red pepper and goat's cheese quiche as much as anyone, and I would give The Yard a try if I weren't moving to Italy in two days, but surely this is yet another sign that the club is continuing to move away from its traditional values.

There isn't much that the club has done in recent years that has resonated with me - the Clough and Taylor statue and that is it.

Free entry to u23 games. 

Free season tickets to current holders if we go up.

Gordon Guthrie Stand

Free preseason game travel and tv

Ossie End Clock 

Mackay Statue

Loads of good stuff  (Off the pitch)

29 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Ain't seen who ?

Disclaimer  I acknowledge there are good people living in Allenton however those are not the people I referred to when I used the term Allenton's finest. 

Hope everybody is happy now :) * except Allenton's finest. ;)

Surely the good people of Allenton are Allentons finest, people like me :p

20 minutes ago, sage said:

Free entry to u23 games. 

Gordon Guthrie Stand

Ossie End Clock 

Mackay Statue

Those highlighted examples I agree with.

What about renaming the stadium, Starbucks, Greggs, the building society branch, Funktion gym - all moves that were only made with one thing in mind?

The other examples were introduced as much to momentarily boost Mel's approval rating after three seasons of mass instability and disastrous decision making, rather than a conscious consistent effort to connect with the wider community of Rams fans.

Just my opinion.

I don't know if I will go to The Yard but I do like Igor's and prices are a bit cheaper up there. It's probably a bit staid for younger people so I think The Yard is probably aimed more at that age group?

I don't mind the club trying to make more revenue from the ground on non-match days as otherwise it's a big venue to have sitting empty 13 days out of 14. 

To add a comment on @sage's list I think under 21/under 23 games have been free for some time and feel that is a genuine offer to the fans. There are always lots of young families there with kids who perhaps can't afford regular match tickets and the football is good quality.

They also have some really cheap prices for kids who do go to first team games, often far cheaper than other clubs at our level. 

I know that I have commented about the 'corporate' stuff that Derby do, especially on match days but I do think they make a genuine attempt to cater for all demographics. 

54 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

What about renaming the stadium, Starbucks, Greggs, the building society branch, Funktion gym - all moves that were only made with one thing in mind?

The other examples were introduced as much to momentarily boost Mel's approval rating after three seasons of mass instability and disastrous decision making, rather than a conscious consistent effort to connect with the wider community of Rams fans.

Just my opinion.

Or,he genuinely loves derby county and is trying to make the whole experience the very best he can.... because that will bring the fans back to further enjoy the experience and feel part of the club itself and it's journey...rams TV is part of that too......as a businessman he knows that.

Just need the football to follow suit.

I personally think it's great that I can take my non football minded wife to the club I love and enjoy a night out that she will no doubt enjoy....it might even encourage her to come to some games with me ?

55 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Just my opinion.

I do believe you're over thinking things a touch Jourdan.

It was a empty space, previously sub let, that the club have made a business case for refitting and operating for our own benefit.

Say it makes 30k profit in its 1st year, that's an academy coach paid for right there.

You may not like it, I can't say I'm a massive fan either, but when we're owned by a multi-millionaire, who funds us upto the maximum allowable losses, and we still can't compete with the top spenders in the division, then I can't see the harm in trying to turn a profit from a previously underemployed/underperforming  part of the ground?

10 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I do believe you're over thinking things a touch Jourdan.

It was a empty space, previously sub let, that the club have made a business case for refitting and operating for our own benefit.

Say it makes 30k profit in its 1st year, that's an academy coach paid for right there.

You may not like it, I can't say I'm a massive fan either, but when we're owned by a multi-millionaire, who funds us upto the maximum allowable losses, and we still can't compete with the top spenders in the division, then I can't see the harm in trying to turn a profit from a previously underemployed/underperforming  part of the ground?

Probably. :lol:

I wouldn't say I don't like it. The idea in itself is great. Just some elements of the execution, I don't agree with.

If you are going to charge above average prices and want consumers to have an above average experience, why offer average or ordinary fare that you can get pretty much everywhere else in Derby?

There are only so many ways you can deconstruct and jazz up a fried breakfast or fish and chips.

It just lacks a bit of X factor for me.

Now if they did something to capture the imagination - a round the world menu with dishes inspired by some of our memorable players for example: an Idiakez paella, a Robbie Savage rarebit, a Candido Costa tripe dish - I'd be first in the queue. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Probably. :lol:

I wouldn't say I don't like it. The idea in itself is great. Just some elements of the execution, I don't agree with.

If you are going to charge above average prices and want consumers to have an above average experience, why offer average or ordinary fare that you can get pretty much everywhere else in Derby?

There are only so many ways you can deconstruct and jazz up a fried breakfast or fish and chips.

It just lacks a bit of X factor for me.

Now if they did something to capture the imagination - a round the world menu with dishes inspired by some of our memorable players for example: an Idiakez paella, a Robbie Savage rarebit, a Candido Costa tripe dish - I'd be first in the queue. :lol:

You've really done it now, if it's tripe you want every home game at 3pm it's served up.

1 hour ago, sage said:

Free entry to u23 games. 

Gordon Guthrie Stand

Ossie End Clock 

Mackay Statue

For those living abroad (and who'd no doubt love to attend live matches) the live streaming seems very reasonably priced,as is the audio package for those of us unable to avail of the former.I have to say that I get almost as excited at the chance to see U23 live as I would have if able to get the seniors' stream.Babos (for instance) was really just a name to me before,but it's great to see a good little player to connect to the name. The overall quality of the youngsters has surprised me,so thanks to Mel for giving me the opportunity to see all of this.Has been a great comfort to me.

Archived