Gary and his phone

drgoodspeak

5 minutes ago, David said:

Rubbish? Don't be so dramatic, look at our League positions over the last say 5 years. Compare that to clubs like Ipswich, Rotherham, Blackburn, Bristol City

I'm wanting better like Bournemouth and Watford and Sunderland etc etc 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, David said:

Tell me a club in this division that doesn't 

So why do you readily accept it.  

Devils advocate .

Do you think Wisdom, Huddlestone and Davies will make all the difference to our promotion chances if so fair enough.  

I admit I might be being a bit impatient with things but it's pre season and I'm just wondering if that's it in transfer dealings for ins and outs I do hope not. 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

So why do you readily accept it.  

Devils advocate .

Do you think Wisdom, Huddlestone and Davies will make all the difference to our promotion chances if so fair enough.  

I admit I might be being a bit impatient with things but it's pre season and I'm just wondering if that's it in transfer dealings for ins and outs I do hope not. 

Accept what? 

You're saying we're rubbish year on year, I'm saying we're not, you're just being over dramatic as usual.

Huge difference between not being good enough to get promoted and rubbish. 

Go ask Forest fans how there season was last year, how they thought they played, then ask if they would want to swap seasons.

Just now, David said:

Accept what? 

You're saying we're rubbish year on year, I'm saying we're not, you're just being over dramatic as usual.

Huge difference between not being good enough to get promoted and rubbish. 

Go ask Forest fans how there season was last year, how they thought they played, then ask if they would want to swap seasons.

Fair enough I take the rubbish remark back but we haven't  reached the  expectation of most fans aspirations year in year out  .

Dramatic maybe but also realistic. 

Football clubs never should stand still and always reach out for better and I'm  positive GR believes this  

Chris Martin and Craig Forsyth will be like new signings but if feel we are just missing some flair without Ince and Hughes that hasnt yet been replaced although Huddlestone if he has a good season will help .

A lot of fans calling for Tom Lawrence why   because fans believe he will add the missing flair and that bit of classy skill all teams need  

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Fair enough I take the rubbish remark back but we haven't  reached the  expectation of most fans aspirations year in year out  .

Dramatic maybe but also realistic. 

Football clubs never should stand still and always reach out for better and I'm  positive GR believes this  

Chris Martin and Craig Forsyth will be like new signings but if feel we are just missing some flair without Ince and Hughes that hasnt yet been replaced although Huddlestone if he has a good season will help .

A lot of fans calling for Tom Lawrence why   because fans believe he will add the missing flair and that bit of classy skill all teams need  

I'm honestly finding it hard to know what this team is missing when we're still yet to see what Rowett is really thinking. 

But you're right, every squad must strengthen year on year, nobody can afford to stand still. 

By the end of October we'll be in a better position to see how the summer window went.

2 minutes ago, David said:

I'm honestly finding it hard to know what this team is missing when we're still yet to see what Rowett is really thinking. 

But you're right, every squad must strengthen year on year, nobody can afford to stand still. 

By the end of October we'll be in a better position to see how the summer window went.

Assume you were inferring that every club needs to buy each year?

We could strengthen by developing our youth and introducing them into the squad - as "new" players. GR could also strengthen by fitting players to a system that actually suits them (ie playing to their strengths).

Lots to work at while the transfer activity is quiet.

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

Assume you were inferring that every club needs to buy each year?

We could strengthen by developing our youth and introducing them into the squad - as "new" players. GR could also strengthen by fitting players to a system that actually suits them (ie playing to their strengths).

Lots to work at while the transfer activity is quiet.

I would be lying if I said I didn't just have buy in mind but you are correct, strengthening isn't always spending as much money as possible on flash names.

It's building a team, not a bunch of individuals, Bennett and Timi Max could make the step up this year and prove to be great additions to the team which strengthen us.

Weimann still yet to have a run of 10 consecutive games the team, 13 games 4 goals when he's had the most time in a shirt, can that be converted to 12 goals over 39 games? 

14 hours ago, David said:

Making noises in the media doesn't = bids, in fact many media noises are column fillers, clicks or agents trying to drum up interest.

Not only that you also assume Derby pushed him out the door after the first bid came in, do you not think if there was any possibility at all of Everton becoming interested Hughes agent would have known, told him to sit and wait, do you not think his agent may have done the rounds to let clubs know he was available and there was no other interest? Watford being the only club.

If it was such a ridiculous fee, how come only one club were interested, the Everton Barkley situation isn't new, that went back to the end of last season when it became public knowledge Barkley wasn't signing the new contract, for such a bargain Everton with the money they are splashing would have take a punt regardless of Barkley still at the club?

I genuinely think something doesn't add up. We'll probably never know what it is. I was told at the time Watford weren't the only other club interested (though the name mentioned was only Brighton but every Premier League club is awash with cash nowadays).

You mention the agent who is Paolo Vernazza (who played for Watford).

Yes Everton could simply have bid anyway - it's just that the Barkley situation brought my astonishment at this deal back to the surface. When Hughes has been about the most highly rated Championship player for the last few years with very good reason, has more than 20 U21 caps and incredible technique, and the demand for young english talent is at a premium, it simply doesn't make sense. I can't accept your explanation (sorry!) but don't know what the real reasons were.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I genuinely think something doesn't add up. We'll probably never know what it is. I was told at the time Watford weren't the only other club interested (though the name mentioned was only Brighton but every Premier League club is awash with cash nowadays).

You mention the agent who is Paolo Vernazza (who played for Watford).

Yes Everton could simply have bid anyway - it's just that the Barkley situation brought my astonishment at this deal back to the surface. When Hughes has been about the most highly rated Championship player for the last few years with very good reason, has more than 20 U21 caps and incredible technique, and the demand for young english talent is at a premium, it simply doesn't make sense. I can't accept your explanation (sorry!) but don't know what the real reasons were.

Hughes was also coming off the back of what was a poor season by his standards, Premier League clubs will only offer big money off the back of a decent season, just how it works these days.

Yes you can keep hold of him but say Rowett doesn't play him, where does his valuation go then?

If Will has a great year next year, the bigger clubs might swoop in and the sell on fee could top us up to what we thought he was maybe worth in the first place.

8 minutes ago, David said:

Hughes was also coming off the back of what was a poor season by his standards, Premier League clubs will only offer big money off the back of a decent season, just how it works these days.

Yes you can keep hold of him but say Rowett doesn't play him, where does his valuation go then?

If Will has a great year next year, the bigger clubs might swoop in and the sell on fee could top us up to what we thought he was maybe worth in the first place.

The sell-on fee is a pitiful 15%. If he goes for £40m to a big club at the end of the season that's only another £6m to us when I was told the initial fee was £5m +add-ons. It doesn't get close to what I believe he was worth (and I know you started the thread and discussed in the podcast how we come up with our valuations). I think Will's valuation may have been so low partly because Rowett wouldn't start him last season, something that appears to have knocked maybe £15m off his value and apparently given him no choice but to leave when an offer came in.

Rowett talks a great talk and appears to be doing a decent job and I'll back him over the season and hope and expect Mel will too, but I would love to sit down with GR, MM and WH and have them explain this to me. Sadly that's unlikely!

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think Will's valuation may have been so low partly because Rowett wouldn't start him last season, something that appears to have knocked maybe £15m off his value and apparently given him no choice but to leave when an offer came in.

:blink: That is an amazing leap of logic.

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

The sell-on fee is a pitiful 15%. If he goes for £40m to a big club at the end of the season that's only another £6m to us when I was told the initial fee was £5m +add-ons. It doesn't get close to what I believe he was worth (and I know you started the thread and discussed in the podcast how we come up with our valuations). I think Will's valuation may have been so low partly because Rowett wouldn't start him last season, something that appears to have knocked maybe £15m off his value and apparently given him no choice but to leave when an offer came in.

Rowett talks a great talk and appears to be doing a decent job and I'll back him over the season and hope and expect Mel will too, but I would love to sit down with GR, MM and WH and have them explain this to me. Sadly that's unlikely!

Makes me cringe and laugh in equal measure to read that! I could just imagine the reaction of a certain Brian Clough or Alec Ferguson to a request from a supporter asking them to justify their actions!? "Fortunately,that's unlikely!"?

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Pearson also didn't start him initially, wasn't it McClaren who also dropped him?

Even going by those numbers £6m + £5m If Will does what we think he can, that's £4m short of the magic £15m. What are the addons, could it be another million or two after 40 Premier League games, 10 goals, a call up? Will that take us closer?

We was always going to take a hit coming off the back of a poor season, whilst it would be nice to see that money up front, fully disclosed, it's not hard to see how it could easily be that with one or two seasons in the Premier League.

No guarantees Will we be a hit, every chance he's back in the Championship on loan and becomes a £2.5m signing for Leeds, might look back thinking we did alright there I guess.

It's a very much wait and see deal, far from being over to judge right now. I'm sure once addons and sell on fees are triggered guesstimates will be reported for us to have a rough idea on.

If we had never seen Will play before last season, then we'd have probably thought £5-£8m with add ons and sell on fees was a pretty good deal.  If - and might be a big if - we end up with a double figure return on him (and we'll never actually know if we did or not) then I don't think that is too bad.  There has to be some reason why there was so little interest in him, why he wasn't getting selected as often and why he hasn't kicked on.  Perhaps selling him will turn out to be the right move for all parties. Only time will tell. 

14 minutes ago, David said:

Pearson also didn't start him initially, wasn't it McClaren who also dropped him?

Even going by those numbers £6m + £5m If Will does what we think he can, that's £4m short of the magic £15m. What are the addons, could it be another million or two after 40 Premier League games, 10 goals, a call up? Will that take us closer?

We was always going to take a hit coming off the back of a poor season, whilst it would be nice to see that money up front, fully disclosed, it's not hard to see how it could easily be that with one or two seasons in the Premier League.

No guarantees Will we be a hit, every chance he's back in the Championship on loan and becomes a £2.5m signing for Leeds, might look back thinking we did alright there I guess.

It's a very much wait and see deal, far from being over to judge right now. I'm sure once addons and sell on fees are triggered guesstimates will be reported for us to have a rough idea on.

The transfer amount was described at the time as being "for an undisclosed fee" but " around the £8m mark" plus add ons.It was also reported at the time that we still owed money for Vydra and Anya ( £4m apparently) so that takes the fee up. I was and am a Hughes admirer but talk of £40m valuations in the future sound a bit ambitious,notwithstanding his obvious ability. Some people seem to conveniently forget that he told Rowett he felt it " was time to move on ".Rowett said he only wanted fully committed players in the squad and,therefore,released a dissatisfied employee to the only club who showed their interest in a financial way. We're all waiting to see who comes in before the window closes at the end of August and hoping for the increase in quality that all clubs are looking for.Meanwhile,Rowett has brought in Davies,Wisdom and Huddlestone and seen the return of Thorne,Martin and Forsyth,that'll seem like 6 new signings to him .

2 hours ago, curtains said:

I'm not happpy with Watford and Huddersfield buying our best players are you ! 

That's a little unfair on those two clubs. They are there because they deserve to be, the same as Bournemouth, West Brom, Stoke and so on and so on.

Our turn will come soon enough, I'm sure of that. I'm also sure that Rowett won't sort the team out this window but could do it by the end of January ready to push us into top 6 or maybe 2.

Personally, I would have swapped Hughes for Huddlestone every day of the week but to make money is even better.

Archived