Thou shalt not pass

YouRams

Starting to look very solid at the back with the additions of Wisdom, Davies and Huddlestone, along with the return of Foz. 

Very happy GR is building from the back after watching our defensive frailties over the past few seasons when the pressures on.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now we're solid, Solid as a rock
That's why we sing it
That's what we've got, got got got got.

We're Solid, solid as a rock
And now Mel's changed it
We are shiit hot, hot, hot, hot, hot

9 hours ago, cosmic said:

Haven't we had something like the second best defence in the league for the last few seasons? Our problems have been creativity and quality in the final third. 

Should be ok now though as Ince has gone........

9 hours ago, mastah said:

Wingers were ineffective all game today.

Second half wingers were doing all the bloody work!

10 hours ago, cosmic said:

Haven't we had something like the second best defence in the league for the last few seasons? Our problems have been creativity and quality in the final third. 

Stats don't mean a lot to me when you finish 8th. I know we had good runs lots of clean sheets but when the pressures on we still chucked lots of points away. Bristol and Cardiff games stick out when we really needed those points conceded 7 goals at home in two games.

30 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Stats don't mean a lot to me when you finish 8th. I know we had good runs lots of clean sheets but when the pressures on we still chucked lots of points away. Bristol and Cardiff games stick out when we really needed those points conceded 7 goals at home in two games.

Yeah okay we finished 8th and you don't like stats. But you're blaming our shortcomings solely on the defence? Seems to me they did their job for the most part. Maybe we dropped points at because we didn't defend collectively or put teams to the sword?

Just now, cosmic said:

Yeah okay we finished 8th and you don't like stats. But you're blaming our shortcomings solely on the defence? Seems to me they did their job for the most part. Maybe we dropped points at because we didn't defend collectively or put teams to the sword?

I get what your saying and not solely blaming them we could've picked up more points earlier in the season if we were firing up top. But to me we've looked weak at the back in the big games and when the points have mattered over the past 3/4 seasons. 

44 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Hit the nail on the head for me. The stats may make good reading, but it's in the big pressure situations it was often found wanting. Individual errors were to often (not just Keogh) and there were plenty of time Carson was coming to the rescue.

the defence wasn't rubbish by any means, but there was plenty of room for improvement, which on paper looks to have been done. 

2 good wingers would finish the job now, unsurprisingly they are proving the more difficult acquisitions.

10 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

2 good wingers would finish the job now, unsurprisingly they are proving the more difficult acquisitions.

A) do we really need two? Anya/Russell/Bennett/weimann are all either proven decent in this league (Russell) or looking like the will make the difference this year. All three of the others looked changed players so far this pre season.  Maybe one proven championship winger needed?

B) think its likely anyone of the calibre that we're expecting will take work, and lots of it at that. I'd imagine GR will have to move heaven and earth to get these deals over the line.

8 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

A) do we really need two? Anya/Russell/Bennett/weimann are all either proven decent in this league (Russell) or looking like the will make the difference this year. All three of the others looked changed players so far this pre season.  Maybe one proven championship winger needed?

B) think its likely anyone of the calibre that we're expecting will take work, and lots of it at that. I'd imagine GR will have to move heaven and earth to get these deals over the line.

2 is being greedy :) I also think if we are looking to sell more, Russell & Wiemann are probably 2 of the more sellable players, I have a feeling at least one of them may move on. I do hope Bennett gets a decent chance at the first team this season though.

Our problem last season was a mix of defence and attack imo.

We simply didn't score enough and get 2 or 3 goal margin going towards the end of the game. We then decided to sit in and the defence couldn't hold on to the 1-0 lead.

Obviously you can blame the attack for that but if you look at when Boro and Burnley went up, they would hardly ever throw away a lead at the end of the game. 

But I suppose the cooler head of Davies, expericed Huddlestone will help along with Wisdom.

I think people are forgetting we have a talisman in Chris Martin. 

The goals will soon flow with his link up, laying off and scoring. We didn't really find our out and out striker last season without Martin being in the side. 

Huddlestone will link play from the back, Fozzy is back and able to get forward. I honestly think that with a good winger we will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

Not spent loads and brought wisely, I think GR will get the team spirit right....

Archived