Timi Elsnik

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

The lad has got it all,breaks up play,great distribution and a good shot.

Eh?

His shot was miles off target?

think you're all getting a bit over aroused.

25 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Can we have him involved in the first team squad please?

The lad has got it all,breaks up play,great distribution and a good shot.

Had a great game today, only Huddlestone will block his route into the team. 

23 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Today,yes.Generally his shot is very good though.

Our best midfielder today.

None of the half-backs (?) shone particularly  (do we still have them?) 

What I want to know, is why after impressive performances in the cup. Elsnik disappeared from the first team and even the u23's for a while.

Given a run of games he'd outshine the current crop of aging midfielders. 

I look forward to seeing what comes of him.

3 minutes ago, Waffle said:

What I want to know, is why after impressive performances in the cup. Elsnik disappeared from the first team and even the u23's for a while.

Given a run of games he'd outshine the current crop of aging midfielders. 

I look forward to seeing what comes of him.

He's never disappeared from the U23s

He's missed one Premier League 2 game in two seasons, iirc. 

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

He's never disappeared from the U23s

He's missed one Premier League 2 game in two seasons, iirc. 

I could've sworn it was longer than that.

it frustrates me that as a club lauded for their academy. We seem to block access to the first team for younger players. I genuinely hope Rowett breaks this.

2 minutes ago, Waffle said:

I could've sworn it was longer than that.

it frustrates me that as a club lauded for their academy. We seem to block access to the first team for younger players. I genuinely hope Rowett breaks this.

Firstly, the size of our squad has been a huge barrier and thinning it out it should help no end. The most common route for a youth player to get time in the first team is covering for injury, then making such an impression he isn't sent back, and the bigger the first team squad the less likely that opportunity will arise.

Also, it becomes more difficult the more competitive the youth environment is. Sort of a catch 22. People often complain that good Premier League teams dont give youth enough of a chance but its mainly because winning in the U23 competition is more important to clubs than many fans realise.

For a youth player to play in the first team, in a non-injury related situation, he has to train with the first team. If he's training with the first team with a view to playing in the first team he isn't training with/playing with the U23s. No doubt such a player is one of the better players in the U23s, so the U23s are weakened. Obviously this doesn't matter if he ends up a first team regular, but if he trains with the first team for a week or two and then the manager decides that having seen him in that environment, he isn't ready; he goes back to the U23s and the only thing that's happened is the U23s have been weakened for that amount of time.

It's kind of important to us we stay as competitive as possible in Premier League 2, for many reasons, so players only train with the first team during the season when a manager is absolutely sure. Which is a difficult stance to reach. 

Having said that, I think Rowett will make more of an effort to get youth involved than our recent managers, especially with Bennett specifically putting such a good showing on at pre-season so far. I don't think anyone can argue he's #1 on our current winger list based on what we've seen.

It will also be easier to get U23s involved in the first team if we strengthen the U23 squad. Which we haven't really done since we got promoted. Hopefully we strengthen it a bit this season.

He looked every bit a first team player against Carlisle in the cup. He has touch and composure. It sounds as if he did well yesterday and on that basis and with a need for a creator I trust he will be promoted the the first team squad without delay. 

10 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Firstly, the size of our squad has been a huge barrier and thinning it out it should help no end. The most common route for a youth player to get time in the first team is covering for injury, then making such an impression he isn't sent back, and the bigger the first team squad the less likely that opportunity will arise.

Also, it becomes more difficult the more competitive the youth environment is. Sort of a catch 22. People often complain that good Premier League teams dont give youth enough of a chance but its mainly because winning in the U23 competition is more important to clubs than many fans realise.

For a youth player to play in the first team, in a non-injury related situation, he has to train with the first team. If he's training with the first team with a view to playing in the first team he isn't training with/playing with the U23s. No doubt such a player is one of the better players in the U23s, so the U23s are weakened. Obviously this doesn't matter if he ends up a first team regular, but if he trains with the first team for a week or two and then the manager decides that having seen him in that environment, he isn't ready; he goes back to the U23s and the only thing that's happened is the U23s have been weakened for that amount of time.

It's kind of important to us we stay as competitive as possible in Premier League 2, for many reasons, so players only train with the first team during the season when a manager is absolutely sure. Which is a difficult stance to reach. 

Having said that, I think Rowett will make more of an effort to get youth involved than our recent managers, especially with Bennett specifically putting such a good showing on at pre-season so far. I don't think anyone can argue he's #1 on our current winger list based on what we've seen.

It will also be easier to get U23s involved in the first team if we strengthen the U23 squad. Which we haven't really done since we got promoted. Hopefully we strengthen it a bit this season.

Great post SaintRam.

Archived