Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I find it all very strange how players can agree term without the clubs agreeing a fee. It puzzles me when I read ' XYZ has agreed personal terms, now its just down to the clubs to agree a fee'.

Doesn't tapping up exist any more?

:blink:

It's very rare a fee will be accepted with a player having no interest in joining a team - it'd be a waste of everyone's time. Hence tapping up, which is officially not allowed but happens. Southampton called Liverpool out on it just to cause a stink.

Here's my take on what is happening - we obviously want Lawrence and Leicester want to sell while his stock is high but they don't think he is good enough for the premiership but he only has a year left on his contract which values him at X price to us but Leicester want a heck of a lot more because now they are playing around with premiership telephone codes and we are still at posh championship telephone code numbers, this will take time and we may or may not get him this summer, personally we shouldn't over pay as it simply gets us nowhere so let's trust Rowett on the fee and be very patient 

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I bet they have more of an idea than most mate.

Spies everywhere, fingers in pies, walls with ears, blind bats etc.

They just guess/read the rumours then make out it's very close.  A guy wasted £500 quid on Tony Pulis to Derby manager because Pulis was seen with Rush at City Ground when we played them etc and ended up appointed Steve Mac. :lol:

6 hours ago, Gandalf's shin pads said:

I think we will need more than Lawrence (if he joins). In the absence of Ince we don't have a single other winger/wide player of the required standard to help push for promotion. They are either strikers being asked to play out of position or are not penetrative enough.

I'm not saying they are bad players. Merely that, from what I have seen of the Weimann, Blackmann, Anya and Russell, the best that can be said for them is that they are decent, and being decent doesn't get you promoted. To my mind we need genuine quality that carries a threat on both flanks. Even if Lawrence arrives it's only half the job. 

Personally, I also think we need to replace Hughes in the middle as none of our existing squad can replicate what he did for us. Butterfield often threatens genuine quality but it never seems to materialise consistently. Johnson and Bryson are willing runners and tacklers and every team needs players like them but they don't really provide much else, at least not anymore. Hanson is young and may improve but is not there yet. Huddlestone and Thorne are class at this level but it's likely (who knows) they will be shielding the back four and at the end of the day they can't do everything from that postion.

Not trying to sound pessimistic. I'd love Rowett and the team to prove me wrong. I think we will be solid at the back and hard for others to break down but we seem to have strengthened in defence at the expense of weakening ourselves further up the pitch. As I have said elsewhere, and I'm probably being a bit greedy with other peoples money, I think we need two quality wingers and another attacking/creative central midfielder. 

I'm sure things are in the pipeline but hope that Lawrence isn't the only iron in the fire (to mix a metaphor!) I just think, if we are looking to seriously challenge, the squad looks a bit 6/7 out of 10 at moment with what is currently available. 

Bryson will bag 12-15 goals this season if played in an advanced role. Rumours of his demise are greatly exaggerated. You can pull this one out come next May. 

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

Bryson will bag 12-15 goals this season if played in an advanced role. Rumours of his demise are greatly exaggerated. You can pull this one out come next May. 

I hope he does. I don't mean to do him down, not a bad player by any stretch. I'm just not convinced Rowett will pick him ahead of Huddlestone, Butterfield, Johnson and eventually Thorne when fit. All conjecture at the moment of course. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong! 

16 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

They just guess/read the rumours then make out it's very close.  A guy wasted £500 quid on Tony Pulis to Derby manager because Pulis was seen with Rush at City Ground when we played them etc and ended up appointed Steve Mac. :lol:

Why did the bookies take the bet?

i think you missed my point.

51 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I find it all very strange how players can agree term without the clubs agreeing a fee. It puzzles me when I read ' XYZ has agreed personal terms, now its just down to the clubs to agree a fee'.

Doesn't tapping up exist any more?

:blink:

What happens is say Derby approach Leicester enquiring if they are prepared to sell Lawrence.The answer is they are prepared to consider it or there is a clause saying he can speak to interested teams ...so they allow player and Derby to speak and they come up with a contract they both agree on.

They then go back to Leicester saying they have a contract that suits both parties and the player wishes to leave subject to a fee being agreed between the club's.

This can work as we know in the  player getting a better contact at his current club if they do not wish to allow him to leave Bryson and Burnley being a example.

30 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I hope so but I very much doubt it. In his whole career he has only ever scored more than 5 goals in a season in all competitions twice.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Butterfield and Johnson should be aiming for double figures in the goalscoring charts and Bryson should aim between 3-5 goals.

I think it would be a lot to ask two central midfield players to get into double figures. Plus I think Butterfield will play slightly deeper. 

Archived