When a player asks to leave

Day

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get it in writing. That way, they don't get the 'loyalty' bonus. Always get stuff in writing.

Then get rid.

Ultimately, if you are in a position to tell a player they are not in your plans, or to drop them from the squad, you are not really in a position to get all high-handed about players wanting to leave.

This is my take of that sort of situation.I think any club is if he honour bound to tell the player concerned ASAP.

After telling him is when the options kick in

1) If he shows any interest at all in the move you dont stand in his way

2)If there as been other enquiries immediately inform all interested clubs to hopefully start a bidding war

3)If there is just the one club interested you get the best deal possible in the best interest of both club and player

The biggest mistake to make is either not telling the player(hes bound to find out) or refusing him permission the speak to the club involved to do that will just make it fester im his head so you will never get 100% out of him in future.

The lowest price you accept depends on how much you rate him and what you can buy to improve the team doesnt have to be an exactly replacement

If a player doesn't want to play for the club, for me, that's it. They're going. 

Now, when it comes to selling them, this essentially will be decided by how important said figure is to the team. Darren Bent wants to leave? No problem, I'd accept a low offer. Tom Ince wants out? Different story. Don't sell unless a club meets a fair valuation. If no club meets it, the decision gets thrown back to the player.

They can then decide whether to commit fully to the team until the next transfer window, or they can spend some time out of the squad. 

19 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

They can then decide whether to commit fully to the team until the next transfer window, or they can spend some time out of the squad. 

Potentially lowering their value further by not playing.

I'd be rubbish at poker.

2 hours ago, David said:

I'd be rubbish at poker.

Not sure you'd be great at managing either?

2 hours ago, David said:

I'd be rubbish at poker.

That's what has arguably happening in the case of Forestieri, but at the end of the day, he's still a Sheffield Wednesday player.

At this point whilst we're in transition anyone who wants to go can  do for me. They can request a transfer so we don't get stung for a payoff, and leave for a fair fee. Preferably at least 4 weeks before the season starts to enable a proper replacement.

As a manager first thing surely would be reason. If it is lack of playing time and you can't guarantee it, try to get as much as possible. For other reasons, it's quite complicated mix of motivation, role in the team, manager's and player's wishes and so on. Every case is different, but key is always the reason behind it.

Ask, why?

and then react according to the answer and how much you believe it

'I want to leave because I've been here ten years and I think I need a change and a new challenge' equals time for both to move on for the best deal you can get

'I want more money' equals we'll see what we can do for those you want to keep, or good luck at your new club for those you don't.

Archived