Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

2 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

How would you feel if we paid 8-10 mill on a player who had just had a dreadful season?.

Well we already did that, ironically paying Watford the £8mil. Vydra managed 3 goals in a season on loan at Reading which by anyone's standards is dreadful.

We paid the money for Vydra because he has proved that he is more than good enough in the past. Vydra's season at Reading didn't value him at £8mil, his season at Watford where he was top goalscorer and Championship POTY did that. If we get a season close to as good as that out of him, then we'll have got ourselves a bargain in today's market.

On the season Hughes has had, is he worth £8mil? I don't think so. But Watford are going to pay that because he has proven his quality in the past. If he reaches the levels we all know he can, then they too will have themselves a bargain.

It's also worth noting that £8mil to a PL side is the equivalent of probably £2-3mil in the Championship. Not very much at all.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah like Vydra.

So you'd expect the watford forums will be saying the same thing then? 8 mill for someone who's been injured and **** for the last 2 seasons and can't get into the under 21 team?.

I like hughes, but the hero worship by some on here is laughable. Stats and facts don't lie, he's been bang average for too long. expecting 10-11-15 mill for him is frankly a joke.

tbh i'm enjoying all the pant wetting on here, it's so entertaining.

The only player I wouldn't want to see leave is Ince, he actually does stuff, ya know, score goals and creates them. Double the assists of Hughes last season.

1 minute ago, mwram1973 said:

Hughes scored 1 goal and had 1 assist more than Butterfield this season

1 more assist than olsson

scored 1 more goal than anya but had the same assists.

Even he said he was poor this season. 

How would you feel if we paid 8-10 mill on a player who had just had a dreadful season?.

He didn't remotely have a dreadful season. He had a season where he was clearly playing himself back to fitness after a serious injury, in a team that clearly weren't playing to his strengths at all.  

1 minute ago, mwram1973 said:

The only player I wouldn't want to see leave is Ince, he actually does stuff, ya know, score goals and creates them. Double the assists of Hughes last season.

He's off to Huddersfield. Giggle away mate.

What will be will be, we will get get whatever someone is willing to pay for him.Hughes going isnt the end of Derby County, other teams have sold key players and gone on to be even better who knows we may even do the same. We can only judge whether this sale is right at the end of the season.

We just have to give Rowett and any new players that come in our full backing regardless of our personal opinion on the incoming player or of who has been sold. Getting on the backs of players and the manager before the season has even started is completely ridiculous.

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

He didn't remotely have a dreadful season. He had a season where he was clearly playing himself back to fitness after a serious injury, in a team that clearly weren't playing to his strengths at all.  

His words, he even admits he wasn't remotely good enough.

2 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

His words, he even admits he wasn't remotely good enough.

"Poor, by my standards. I've been in and out of the team. I know we have had three different managers but I haven't played to the capabilities I can for one reason or another, and it has been a very frustrating season for myself and for the team."

Those were his actual words, to the DET anyway. That's hardly him saying he's been dreadful.  He's not been his best but anybody expecting him to be straight back to his best after a season injured is deluded.I can't wait for the "let's sell George Thorne" party in a years time if he isn't straight back to his absolute best.

Judging Will on last season is crazy. Selling him at the bottom of the market when he's been in and out of the side in a comeback season in a struggling team is crazy. 

I'm going to put my trust in Gary Rowett, because what else can I do, but right now...I'm disappointed and angry.

Just now, duncanjwitham said:

"Poor, by my standards. I've been in and out of the team. I know we have had three different managers but I haven't played to the capabilities I can for one reason or another, and it has been a very frustrating season for myself and for the team."

Those were his actual words, to the DET anyway. That's hardly him saying he's been dreadful.  He's not been his best but anybody expecting him to be straight back to his best after a season injured is deluded.I can't wait for the "let's sell George Thorne" party in a years time if he isn't straight back to his absolute best.

We don't need to. He'll be amazing whole season and leaves for free after seeing his contract out.

1 minute ago, needles said:

I'm going to put my trust in Gary Rowett, because what else can I do, but right now...I'm disappointed and angry.

After a few beers I wonder how come Rowett can't make him stay. But maybe he's got a few surprises for us, lots of transfer window to go yet.

37 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Maybe, just maybe this is nothing to do with Rowett not playing him, owing Watford money or balancing the books for FFP.  Maybe its down to Will wanting to try his luck in the Premier League? He's 22 now, approaching the best years of his career and really needs to kick on.

As much as I don't want him to go (especially to Watford for 8m) Will really does need a move to a Premier League sooner rather than later to test himself.

I was told at the time that he signed his new contract that if Derby failed to get promoted there was an agreement in place for him to join a Premier League team.

I'll be honest though and say Watford was not the team mentioned.

I think the fact that Hughes was not in the team at the end of the last season may be evidence that GR already knew that Hughes would be leaving.

Sky Sports News HQ understands some elements of the deal between Watford and Derby for midfielder Will Hughes have been agreed.

We understand personal terms are unlikely to prove a problem but, at this stage, the final transfer figure and payment schedules are still to be agreed.

Just now, Dimmu said:

Sky Sports News HQ understands some elements of the deal between Watford and Derby for midfielder Will Hughes have been agreed.

We understand personal terms are unlikely to prove a problem but, at this stage, the final transfer figure and payment schedules are still to be agreed.

Transfer figure to be agreed. Watford offer £8m we want £15m ???? I'm clinging on to all hope that we aren't selling the family silver for two shakes of Fck all (in comparison to today's transfer market value) 

PistoldPete2
32 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Hughes scored 1 goal and had 1 assist more than Butterfield this season

1 more assist than olsson

scored 1 more goal than anya but had the same assists.

Even he said he was poor this season. 

So hughes had 1 more goal,than Anya and the same assists. Well also hughes can tackle, he can keep the ball, and he can pass it too. Anya can do none of these things. Hughes is also much younger than anya.

hughes had by his standards a bad season. Hendrick had a good euros so it was a good time to sell him altho I still wish we could have kept him. 

Not a good time to sell hughes for a knockdown price. 

Archived