Pet farts

RamNut

I found myself wondering the greater proportion of biscuits in a dogs diet is responsible for the greater output of farts from dogs, as compared with say cats.

cats do fart occasionally but usually chicken based SBDs high in hydrogen sulphide content

the carbohydrate content of biscuits might create a higher methane load in dogs.

i assume that this is something of concern to other posters too.

do other pets also let off?

and if so, why?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine were horrendous....I mean my dog, well mine were as well before a diet change but anyhow, moved on to this stuff from Pets at Home, Step up Naturals

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/wet-dog-food/step-up-to-naturals-adult-dog-food-chicken-with-turkey-6-x-395g?orderBy=1&fa=||price_GBP%3A%5B0%2b50%5D||ads_f12501_ntk_cs%3A%22Step%2bUp%2bTo%2bNaturals%22

Composition: Chicken (22%), Turkey (14%), Brown Rice (6%), Liver (5%), Sweet Potato (4%), Apple (4%), Peas (4%), Naked Oats (2%), Fish Oil (0.05%), Rosemary, Mint, Minerals.

Technological Additives: Beef (18%) (Beef, Beef Liver), Chicken (15%), Lamb (8%), Brown Rice (6%), Liver (5%), Sweet Potato (4%), Apple (4%), Peas (4%), Naked Oats (2%), Fish Oil (0.05%), Rosemary, Mint, Minerals.

Analytical Constituents: Protein 7%, Crude Fibres 0.5%, Crude Oils and Fats 5%, Crude Ash 2%, Moisture 80%.

They do dry food as well so half a tin with some dry twice a day, not had a whiff in ages.

Has the biscuit treats but only a couple a day for being a good boy for not trying to hump the cats

Chicken with turkey is asking for trouble in my opinion.

hard to decide whether the brown rice and sweet potato will temper the noxious odours or add additional methane propellent.

Sith Happens
13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Chicken with turkey is asking for trouble in my opinion.

hard to decide whether the brown rice and sweet potato will temper the noxious odours or add additional methane propellent.

Agree its fowl smelling

We've been giving our mini schnauzer a mix of Royal Cannin dry, and a third of a Pedigree puppy pouch since we had him and haven't really noticed anything bad.  Saying that, nothing could be worse than the stench my lad produces, jesus wept some of his makes my eyes water...

24 minutes ago, Gritters said:

All I know is, I don't have pets but there is always a lot of cat **** in the garden. If I catch the bast Ards woe betide them. 

I'm considering getting a dog.

Bad owners, my cat comes in and uses the litter tray.  Also if you think it's bad cleaing up cat poo...

Or make a repellent. Mix apple cider vinegar and water at a 1:1 ration. The vinegar can also be substituted for an essential oil such as citronella, lavender, peppermint or lemongrass (1 part oil to 3 parts water).  Spray areas that are effected.

12 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Bad owners, my cat comes in and uses the litter tray.  Also if you think it's bad cleaing up cat poo...

Or make a repellent. Mix apple cider vinegar and water at a 1:1 ration. The vinegar can also be substituted for an essential oil such as citronella, lavender, peppermint or lemongrass (1 part oil to 3 parts water).  Spray areas that are effected.

Excellent I bought some repellent and it smelt quite citric. I might try making some up.

PistoldPete2

I misread this... I thought it was for people who keep farts as pets. In a jam jar, and only let out on special occasions. 

17 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Feed my cat raw meat twice a week and pets at home own brand dry no smell issues from either end.

Give it a shake.

I read somewhere that methane is odourless

whoever wrote that never sat next to Roy Sturgess in geography. 

7 hours ago, Boycie said:

My hamster never farts. Well, I've never heard it?

Wild animals rarely fart as to do so would give the game away when hiding from dangerous predators.

apart from gorillas -  but they are pretty safe from predators - and they live in the jungle which positively reverberates to the ripping sound of self-venting primates.

10 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I misread this... I thought it was for people who keep farts as pets. In a jam jar, and only let out on special occasions. 

I thought Channel 4 had commissioned a new reality TV show.

Ours have this, no farts at all.

Simpsons-Premium-duck-potato-dog-food-12

Ingredients: 
Duck (min 43% - Deboned Duck, Dried Duck, Duck Fat), Potato (min 26%), Beet Pulp, Brewers Yeast, Lamb Gravy, Dried Egg, Salmon Oil, Minerals, Linseeds, Vitamins, Yucca Extract, Cranberries, Nucleotides, Mannanoligosaccharides (MOS), Fructooligosaccharides (FOS), Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin. 
Analytical Constituents: Protein 25%, Oil 14%, Fibre 3%, Ash 9.5%, Calcium 1.28%, Phosphorous 0.82%, Omega 6 2.28% and Omega 3 0.44%.

Simpsons Premium Sensitive Adult Duck & Potato at a glance:

Hypo-allergenic; Holistic and natural dog food; Grain Free; High meat content; No artificial colours, flavours, or preservatives; No GMO ingredients; Highly digestible ingredients meaning less to feed - very economical; Contains glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, prebiotics, and cranberries.

It is around £40+ for 12kg, but it really does help our dog with her skin allergies and the other one just loves it. 

Archived