Health,Diet and Fitness.

Coneheadjohn

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Pretty low. I'm not strictly counting but pretty much the only thing I'm eating that I know has carbs in it is a handful of nuts during the day as a snack, so would expect maybe 20-30g of carbs max per day - allowing for a bit in the veg that I'm eating. Other than that, my diet has been exclusively protein and fat. Lots of cheese, chicken, turkey, bacon. I've only just completed the first week, so may have to look at ways to vary it in the future.

I've actually found it quite a bit easier than I thought, as I used to eat quite a lot of cereals, pasta & bread (not so much potatoes) and my snack of choice was crisps. I'm pleased that I haven't felt as hungry mid morning and afternoon as I used to. I did feel proper rough yesterday, though. Almost back to normal today, so maybe the metabolism boost from the gym speeded up the transition process?, dunno.

I take it you've done it?. How did you get on?

Never done a low carb thing specifically.

Generally my diet has been terrible but my training has always been good probably overtraining.

But as I've got older I'm trying to be a bit more diet minded and have been trying anything really.

At the minute I'm just weighing stuff and using the my fitness pal app  to measure calories,carb wise it's about 100 grammes  of rice or pasta over 3 meals with protein and veg,porridge for breakfast a couple of protein shakes and a cheat day on Saturday.

I'll give anything a go really.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I did low-carb diet about 15 years ago and lost loads of weight. Lasted about 6 months, then slowly crpt back to normality. When I see pictures of myself from back then I look like I had AIDS or something.

I used to eat a big bowl of bran flakes for breakfast - my only carbs, but I really needed something to stop the meat blocking me up totally :lol:

I think I will give the,

'Make me look like an aids victim diet' a miss!

Or the,

'Just make me constipated diet'!

:lol: 

The more exercise I do, the more cake I can shove in my face without getting fat....that's my philosophy.  Also turning the heating down a bit helps.....body has to work slightly harder to maintain the 37 C core temp....hence more calories burned.

Never really considered diet.

59 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I did low-carb diet about 15 years ago and lost loads of weight. Lasted about 6 months, then slowly crpt back to normality. When I see pictures of myself from back then I look like I had AIDS or something.

I used to eat a big bowl of bran flakes for breakfast - my only carbs, but I really needed something to stop the meat blocking me up totally :lol:

I'm certainly not aiming to be "thin" by the end of this. I've always been on the stocky side (rugby player type build) & as I said earlier, I'm about the lowest weight I've been in 5 years. I'd like to lose another 10-14lbs & my weight loss was flat lining for a few weeks before going on my hols, so fancied giving something new a try. I'll probably still have a BMI of 26-ish at target weight but I don't want to be skinny & Mrs Wolfie said she'd go right off me!.

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

She sounds shallow :)

She just doesn't fancy skinny men. Fair enough. Never going to be an issue with me anyway. Actually her main issue was with "who am I doing it for?". My best mate had the same with his wife, when he was losing weight. She was convinced he was having an affair. My response is that I'm doing it for me & I'm wanting to see if I can make an impact on my blood pressure, as I've been on 2 medications to control it since I was 30.

Still preferable to another mate of mine, who's a similar build to me & maybe put on 20lbs or so in the last couple of years. His Mrs told him last Christmas that she wouldn't have sex with him until he'd got back to the weight he was when they got married. I told him he's an idiot for agreeing to do it for the silly cow.

I'm nearing perfection now. Fluculating between 14st 6lb and 14st 7lb with a calorie intake of 1900.

Some may see that as being low but I spend most of the day sat on my arse so my burn rate is low compared to others.

Which is lucky really as I've never had a huge appetite whilst sober.

NHS have me in healthy but think I'd like to go to 13st 10lb, leaves me comfortably in the healthy zone and fat to burn if I become ill.

When you get older think it's best to carry a little extra within reason, you see some old people that are walking skeletons without an ounce of fat on them, one bout of the flu would finish them off. 

Far from that age but always liked the idea of living as long as possible seeing as you're a long time dead. 

I follow the Joe Wicks meals. But as I live on my own, it's sometimes a pain to cook just for one. Food tends to go off!

As per recent studies, I've got rid of the coconut oil and back on extra virgin olive oil - must admit the chicken tastes better now.

I go boxing around 4 times a week, and the gym is a proper old school one so no fans and of course no AC. Right now it's about 35 degrees with 60% humidity. 

As you can imagine, I sweat kilos per session and have to recover with an intake of about 5 litres of water daily.

On 26/06/2017 at 16:44, Highgate said:

The more exercise I do, the more cake I can shove in my face without getting fat....that's my philosophy.  Also turning the heating down a bit helps.....body has to work slightly harder to maintain the 37 C core temp....hence more calories burned.

Never really considered diet.

This approach is brilliant but a fail in my own case.

Yesterday gym,trained really well and felt great so had 4 pints and a Wagyu burger 

The turning the heating down(off)sounds good!

On 27/06/2017 at 11:40, David said:

I'm nearing perfection now. Fluculating between 14st 6lb and 14st 7lb with a calorie intake of 1900.

Some may see that as being low but I spend most of the day sat on my arse so my burn rate is low compared to others.

Which is lucky really as I've never had a huge appetite whilst sober.

NHS have me in healthy but think I'd like to go to 13st 10lb, leaves me comfortably in the healthy zone and fat to burn if I become ill.

When you get older think it's best to carry a little extra within reason, you see some old people that are walking skeletons without an ounce of fat on them, one bout of the flu would finish them off. 

Far from that age but always liked the idea of living as long as possible seeing as you're a long time dead. 

Have much have you lost?

9 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Have much have you lost?

I was 19st 1lb think it was at the start of December, 14st 6lb now.

It's alcohol.

Mon, Tues, Wed I ate great < 2000 cals. Thursday missus off work so we'd go for a few drinks in the day, dinner out and all that, 4 pack on way home then eat like s**t recovering the next day. Saturday out with a mate, god knows how many pints, pick 2 from a KFC, Taco Bell and a pizza. Next day eat s**t to recover. 

My 3 days of being good wasn't enough to fix the damage.

Not touched a drop since end of November so it's 7 days eating better. Now I'm gorgeous.

3 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

This approach is brilliant but a fail in my own case.

Yesterday gym,trained really well and felt great so had 4 pints and a Wagyu burger 

The turning the heating down(off)sounds good!

Yeah beer will undo all the calorie burning work in the gym without a doubt. Beer is a strange beast, full of calories itself and yet drinking it makes you hungry (at least that's what I find). 

Still, can't beat a cold one every now and then.

Swimming 3 times a week for 40 minutes each.

Still have a terrible diet so can't say I'm losing much weight but feel healthier.

Worked 2 17 hour days back to back running Bustler Market, then walked 25 miles this week over Monday and Tuesday going from Buxton to Hartington, then Hartington to Cromford via High Peak Trail. Second day was 17 miles and I'm hurting now, but for the first time, got a sense of pride from doing exercise. Enjoyed that feeling.

Archived