Health,Diet and Fitness.

Coneheadjohn

31 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

for the first time, got a sense of pride from doing exercise. Enjoyed that feeling.

Exercise is definitely good for the mind as well as the body. I have a family member who is morbidly obese, and personality wise absolutely bone idol. Always making excuses and asking everyone to run around after her because she just can't be bothered. Yet when she does finally leave the house and does something, she freely admits she feels a million times better about life. Some people eh?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/06/2017 at 17:11, StivePesley said:

Exercise is definitely good for the mind as well as the body. I have a family member who is morbidly obese, and personality wise absolutely bone idol. Always making excuses and asking everyone to run around after her because she just can't be bothered. Yet when she does finally leave the house and does something, she freely admits she feels a million times better about life. Some people eh?

Best thing for stress,without a doubt.

I think it's all about moderation. Watch what you eat and drink during the week. Little bit of exercise. Then at the weekend you can enjoy yourself a little. I go running with the bride a couple times a week. Then parkrun on a Saturday. The main thing is to enjoy what you do.

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing the low/zero carb thing for 3 1/2 weeks & going well.

Lost 10lbs so far, with another 5 or 6 to go before I start to re-introduce them. I'm now the lowest weight I've been for at least 10/12 years.

I've been really surprised just how much my appetite has disappeared on this diet. I haven't craved anything and when I have a proper meal (minus the pasta/potatoes etc) I struggle to finish it and rarely do.

Energy levels have dipped a bit but it's only really noticeable doing cardio stuff at the gym.

Doing healthy(Ish) eating with the partner at the moment. Lost quite a bit we have one (or two) cheat days. It's amazing what healy(ish) eating actually does regarding losing weight.

Of course the 1st few weeks are always the easiest at losing it though. Keep having urges for Takeaways :'(!

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Been doing the low/zero carb thing for 3 1/2 weeks & going well.

Lost 10lbs so far, with another 5 or 6 to go before I start to re-introduce them. I'm now the lowest weight I've been for at least 10/12 years.

I've been really surprised just how much my appetite has disappeared on this diet. I haven't craved anything and when I have a proper meal (minus the pasta/potatoes etc) I struggle to finish it and rarely do.

Energy levels have dipped a bit but it's only really noticeable doing cardio stuff at the gym.

What are you doing training wise?

19 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

What are you doing training wise?

30 mins or so cross-trainer on fairly high resistance & then about 20-30 mins various weights.

Pretty much the same as I've done for a few years. I have a fairly sedentary job, so try to make sure I go to the gym at least 3 times a week.

5-5:30 weights

5 minute break

5:35-6.10 cardio 

30-45 minutes for each. Anymore is overkill. 

Going pretty well at the moment. Apparently you're meant to do it the other way round but I've found doing weight first helps more because it releases more testosterone so helps me to stay more motivated. I used to listen to music while doing both but I've decided to cut that out because I spent more time flicking through the songs rather than actually working out.

2 hours ago, Ashz09 said:

Doing healthy(Ish) eating with the partner at the moment. Lost quite a bit we have one (or two) cheat days. It's amazing what healy(ish) eating actually does regarding losing weight.

Of course the 1st few weeks are always the easiest at losing it though. Keep having urges for Takeaways :'(!

You can still eat takeaways but it's all about picking the right food. For example, picking tandoori chicken over other greasy forms of chicken. 

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

5 minute break

Going pretty well at the moment. Apparently you're meant to do it the other way round but I've found doing weight first helps more because it releases more testosterone so helps me to stay more motivated. I used to listen to music while doing both but I've decided to cut that out because I spent more time flicking through the songs rather than actually working out.

Bloody hell,that's good.Best time to train.

On a perfect day I would run 3 miles to the gym then do 30 minutes weights,basic excess uses.

2 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Bloody hell,that's good.Best time to train.

On a perfect day I would run 3 miles to the gym then do 30 minutes weights,basic excess uses.

It was hard to begin with not surprisingly but I'm enjoying it now as my strength and endurance has improved.

I see that you're 48, I'd love to be doing what you're doing when I'm that age :lol: 

30 minutes ago, McLovin said:

It was hard to begin with not surprisingly but I'm enjoying it now as my strength and endurance has improved.

I see that you're 48, I'd love to be doing what you're doing when I'm that age :lol: 

I'm probably training harder now than 20 years ago.

Good for mind and body,doesn't get any easier unfortunately.

14 hours ago, McLovin said:

5 minute break

Funny, I heard the opposite & that I was doing it wrong (cardio first). 

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

They say do weights first then you can push more and you burn up your carbs.

When you get to cardio you are in a fat burning stage already.

I have never been able to do cardio after I've done weights in 35 years of training.

Best I can do is walk home,probably why I'm always 2 stone overweight.

30th of April I was a 15 stone 10 and a half pounds fat bloater, stopped all snacks, sweets and ice cream, this morning I am a 14 stone 2 and a half pound bloater.

I'm aiming for 13 and a half stone which won't look too bad as I'm 6 foot tall. I've found weighing myself every morning has encouraged me to keep away from the snacks and stuff and I suppose I should exercise as well but I can't be arsed.

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Different people have different advice I guess. I think it may depend on your end goal, for weight loss or muscle building but I've found doing weights first helps immensely. 

Just been,wasn't due to go today but my lads wanted a Maccy's and it's next to the gym:ph34r:.

3 mile round walk to the gym.

Chest and triceps.

6 sets bench press(4 up,2 down)

8 sets pec dec(20 seconds exercise 10 seconds rest)

4 sets press ups alternate 4 sets planking(30 seconds then 10 seconds rest)

8 sets tricep pushdowns superset with 8 sets over head extension using a rope(20 seconds exercise 20 seconds rest).

I should have done some incline exercise for chest but couldn't be arsed today.

I'll go before work in the morning and do back and biceps,no cardio as today I get to eat/drink what I want so I won't manage it.

I will walk another 3 miles later with my furry beasts.

8 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

They say do weights first then you can push more and you burn up your carbs.

When you get to cardio you are in a fat burning stage already.

I have never been able to do cardio after I've done weights in 35 years of training.

Best I can do is walk home,probably why I'm always 2 stone overweight.

Me neither, which is why I found it odd advice. Cardio is hard enough without muscles burning as well. 

6 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Just been,wasn't due to go today but my lads wanted a Maccy's and it's next to the gym:ph34r:.

3 mile round walk to the gym.

Chest and triceps.

6 sets bench press(4 up,2 down)

8 sets pec dec(20 seconds exercise 10 seconds rest)

4 sets press ups alternate 4 sets planking(30 seconds then 10 seconds rest)

8 sets tricep pushdowns superset with 8 sets over head extension using a rope(20 seconds exercise 20 seconds rest).

I should have done some incline exercise for chest but couldn't be arsed today.

I'll go before work in the morning and do back and biceps,no cardio as today I get to eat/drink what I want so I won't manage it.

I will walk another 3 miles later with my furry beasts.

Read this as breasts, was going to ask to join you.

You'd lose a few more pounds running, I'd guess.

Archived