The Old Bell & William Morley

Ellafella

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Woodypecker said:

I agree with Ella & uttox, Avery significant location in Rams & football heritage - and (as Ella knows from a previous PM), I would help promote a blue plaque application...

Has anyone done the blue plaque application yet?

10 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

Has anyone done the blue plaque application yet?

I'm working on it. I'm in touch with Derby Civic Society, Derby County, and the Old Bell Hotel itself. Wheels turn very slowly; I am also in touch with English Heritage. Once I have got some real momentum I will let people know who are interested who may want to lend a hand. At the moment it just involves communicating with the right people and getting their attention. I am confident that things will take shape soon. I have also had some very helpful advice from Peter Seddon himself...

@Davidany chance this is an item we could put on the supporter's meeting agenda with the Club?

17 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I'm working on it. I'm in touch with Derby Civic Society, Derby County, and the Old Bell Hotel itself. Wheels turn very slowly; I am also in touch with English Heritage. Once I have got some real momentum I will let people know who are interested who may want to lend a hand. At the moment it just involves communicating with the right people and getting their attention. I am confident that things will take shape soon. I have also had some very helpful advice from Peter Seddon himself...

@Davidany chance this is an item we could put on the supporter's meeting agenda with the Club?

Hopefully I will be able to give you all prior notice to the next meeting, I'll add it to my notes now but a reminder at the time wouldn't go a miss

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief update:

Wheels are turning; I have spoken with the Old Bell Hotel and this item is being discussed at their management meeting tomorrow. I have also spoken with Rav from Punjabi Rams, and with Derby County; as well I have spoken with Derby Civic Society, and Peter Seddon. @David has put this on the Agenda of the next Fans Charter meeting. 

Everybody seems to agree that we should mark the Old Bell as a special place in Derby County's history; I wasn't aware but apparently there is a photo of William Morley and various other officials in the Tudor Room at the Old Bell (I will be thirsty soon so may need to visit and see) so seems that there is a starting point.

I will endeavour to keep this up-to-date and hopefully there will be some more news soon!

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Everybody seems to agree that we should mark the Old Bell as a special place in Derby County's history; I wasn't aware but apparently there is a photo of William Morley and various other officials in the Tudor Room at the Old Bell (I will be thirsty soon so may need to visit and see) so seems that there is a starting point.

I wonder if the Local Studies library has any other pictures or info?

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wonder if the Local Studies library has any other pictures or info?

Peter Seddon ("The men who made the Rams") has already done painstaking research and uncovered probably all that there is. Peter is willing to provide any details that would help. I'm hoping to meet with him soon - he's busy with other fish at the moment but as soon as he's free we'll take that aspect forward...

29 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Just a brief update:

Wheels are turning; I have spoken with the Old Bell Hotel and this item is being discussed at their management meeting tomorrow. I have also spoken with Rav from Punjabi Rams, and with Derby County; as well I have spoken with Derby Civic Society, and Peter Seddon. @David has put this on the Agenda of the next Fans Charter meeting. 

I will endeavour to keep this up-to-date and hopefully there will be some more news soon!

Well done fella!

We all like to see stuff like this - well, i do at anyrate - but most of us don't have the time to sort stuff out. Its people like you who actually get things done that will mean summat to many Derby fans, and Derby folk who may not be particularly interested on football but who have a passing interest in the history of our glorious city.

I'll defo pop in for a pint next time i'm in town just to look at the photo.

Cheers!

26 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Well done fella!

We all like to see stuff like this - well, i do at anyrate - but most of us don't have the time to sort stuff out. Its people like you who actually get things done that will mean summat to many Derby fans, and Derby folk who may not be particularly interested on football but who have a passing interest in the history of our glorious city.

I'll defo pop in for a pint next time i'm in town just to look at the photo.

Cheers!

You are a gentleman, Sir! thank you for your kind words. I think we all owe it to William Morley and Peter Seddon. 

• 1 year later...

Just a brief update...this is still a work “in progress”. After a long hiatus, I have managed to gain the support of Anton Rippon who has joined the cause. My motivation has been piqued recently by my seeing a plaque to Notts County in the Hockley area. I’ll keep you posted...

E68EEA09-C13C-433C-9538-E4FFB728E5BC.jpeg

20 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

This is a page from the minutes of the committee that clearly shows they held regular meetings in the old bell. ,

0AA1E683-3FD2-4C10-B9A4-10086D54B870.jpeg

Fabulous stuff @loweman2. If that date is April 1884, then those are the notes of the Cricket Club, yes? I can see that William Morley is present but the football club proposal wasn't made until early May of 1884. 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

ps @loweman2 do you still have W J Morley's cigar stubb and whisky glass from that meeting? ?

Hi @Ellafella mate, turns out it wasn’t his after all, the guy messaged me and said he was awfully sorry, turned out it was winston Churchill’s cigar that he was smoking as he made that speech about fighting them on the beaches ! 

Every cloud and all that.

also that board meeting was from 1888, the very start of the football league and the minutes are all about how they got into the football league ahead of other teams.

if you pm me I will send you a copy of the book, happy new year mate ??

Anton Rippon has done a piece on this in Friday's Derby Telegraph with a poll. Please would you vote in the poll to support the idea of a commemorative plaque. Please forgive the personal story...I'm not doing this to gain self-publicity. I passionately believe though that the rich history of our great Club's beginnings should be as widely known as possible and marked and celebrated locally. Thanks. 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/should-derby-county-birthplace-official-2388843

11 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Anton Rippon has done a piece on this in Friday's Derby Telegraph with a poll. Please would you vote in the poll to support the idea of a commemorative plaque. Please forgive the personal story...I'm not doing this to gain self-publicity. I passionately believe though that the rich history of our great Club's beginnings should be as widely known as possible and marked and celebrated locally. Thanks. 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/should-derby-county-birthplace-official-2388843

96% voted yes. Good work Ellafella. 

IMG_20190106_103508.jpg

Archived