Eddie Howe

Day

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't be surprised if there was some form of interest in him but I doubt he'd want to take the job.

He's a young manager who probably feels like he'll get a proper stab at a decent PL team soon enough, whether that be Everton, Southampton, West Ham or even someone like Spurs/Arsenal.

Which England managers have had better careers following the job? It's a poisoned chalice, no one who ever takes it regains the credibility they had before the job. Taking the job now could kill off his career in the long term.

Also, the FA are ****** who probably prefer experience, even if it means someone like Allardyce, Hodgson or Pardew.

Old boys club.

Seem to like managers that have been there and done that rather than embracing up and coming talent.

I'm afraid that is the by product of having dinosaurs running your national football association. 

Despite this, I actually agreed with Allardyce appointment.

Tactics and formations are always going to be hard to impose at national level due to how players are taught to play by their clubs on a day to say basis, getting someone to galvanize the group is probably more important.

I thought allardyce was a terrible appointment.

big fat cheating spiv who's contribution to the national game was to invent obstructing the keeper at corners.

15 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Wouldn't be surprised if there was some form of interest in him but I doubt he'd want to take the job.

"The England job, I think, is the ultimate," he told presenter Gary Lineker during filming before Allardyce's departure. "I would never say no, but it's not something I want to consider."

Sounded like he wanted it but also being respectful to Bournemouth 

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37505319

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

big fat cheating spiv who's contribution to the national game was to invent obstructing the keeper at corners.

Horses for courses.

Newcastle aside, he has pretty much succeeded wherever he has been on limited resources.

What he did at Bolton was not much short of miraculous.

It's hard to care about the naional team anymore. The FA don't seem to care about it, the government don't seem to care about it and the top club teams prefer to invest in foreign youngsters. It all began when Arsene Wenger got here and his preference for French youngsters. 

Eddie Howe would be an idiot to take the job. It's perfect for Southgate, he can delude himself to the importance of the job knowing at the back of his mind he's not good enough for club management. It could be Southgate's job for years.

14 hours ago, RamNut said:

One of the best summaries I've ever read. In an ideal world this quote would be plastered on his autobiography.

Allardyce could have been good for a short term result in a tournament. His forte seems to be grabbing hold of a squad and in three months squeezing it into a shape that it performs, usually avoiding relegation.

He could have done the same job for England at WC or Euros, but avoiding humiliation.

I have very low expectations of Southgate. I wouldn't have him at Pride Park let alone the national squad.

I would have thought Eddie Howe would want a big English job first - Arsenal? Might have to go abroad Steve Maclaren style first. 

3 hours ago, blackNwhites said:

It's hard to care about the naional team anymore. The FA don't seem to care about it, the government don't seem to care about it and the top club teams prefer to invest in foreign youngsters. It all began when Arsene Wenger got here and his preference for French youngsters. 

Eddie Howe would be an idiot to take the job. It's perfect for Southgate, he can delude himself to the importance of the job knowing at the back of his mind he's not good enough for club management. It could be Southgate's job for years.

This I disagree with..... the clubs don't care..... not the FA I feel 

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

This I disagree with..... the clubs don't care..... not the FA I feel 

If they cared they'd invest in the grass roots game more. I know they've made changes over the years but it's not enough. Instead of wasting millions on an England manager they could pump that cash into the kids games.

1 hour ago, blackNwhites said:

If they cared they'd invest in the grass roots game more. I know they've made changes over the years but it's not enough. Instead of wasting millions on an England manager they could pump that cash into the kids games.

Things have changed dramatically in the last decade grassroots wise..... the problem is we're playing catch up to likes of Germany, Spain, Belgium, France etc..... we are 5-10 years behind these countries regarding grass roots, academies etc.

Will accept though.... more coaches are needed etc.... the cost over here is alarming compared to countries I've just mentioned. More 4G pitches are needed.

St George's Park is a start..... but we need more bases around the country..... 

We are getting there slowly..... but we are..... look at national level youngsters to see that it is improving. Winning Toulon Tournament which was much maligned by us over the years..... it's a stepping stone for good players to become world class. U15/16/17 in rude health now.

We are getting there....

• 2 weeks later...

It's dawned on me that Eddie Howe's pretty wasteful when he's got money to spend, not that this would be an issue if he got the national job.

He's excellent at picking up bargains; Arter 50k, Fraser £400k, Ritchie £400k, Pitman £60k Smith £250k, Kermorgant £500k, Gosling FREE, Surman £500k, Boruc FREE, King FREE, Ake LOAN.

But the big money? There's the £3,000,000 he spent on the awful Rantie during their first Championship season, the same fee for the excellent Wilson the year after but since promotion they've spent around £81,000,000 and only Afobe (£11,000,000) and Wilshere (£2,000,000 loan fee) have managed to displace any of the players they had upon promotion. 

Tomlin (£3,000,000) was gone after six months. Murray (£5,000,000) was gone within a year. Grabban re-signed for £8,000,000 and out on loan within a year. Iturbe cost an initial loan fee of £1,000,000, played twice and the agreed fee to make the move permanent never activated. Marc Wilson (£2,000,000) gone in six months having never played a league game. Gradel (£8,000,000) missed most of last season through injury which is fair enough but he's been fine for most of this season (missed a couple of games through a tight hamstring) and yet he's barely been in the squad! £26,000,000 for 74 league appearances there. 

Mings (£8,000,000) has been unlucky with injuries and Charlie Daniels hasn't warranted being dropped so you can't really criticise this one.

Ibe (£15,000,000)... he's young, we've seen his ability first hand and has time on his side to turn his Bournemouth career around but he's been dreadful for them this past season.Twenty-years old or not, you fully expect you record buy not to slip to fourth in the pecking order, especially when you're letting your best winger go. 

Then you have Cook (£5,000,000), Mousset (£5,000,000) and Brad Smith (£3,000,000). That's A LOT of money of young players only to not give them a chance or even send them out on loan.

He's managed to build a Prem side largely from lower league to Championship players and has managed to get them to improve for their second season but his big money signings haven't done a great deal at all. He's straight up wasted about £29,000,000, spent £28,000,000 on youth that will need to improve and has question marks over it, been unlucky with £8,000,000 (that's football) and got around £16,000,000 right. 

I just find it weird how it's the players who were already there who have made the step-up, the big money moves haven't particularly added a great deal at all.

Archived