We need more athleticism.

Curtains

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, curtains said:

Chris Martin is a powerful athletic lad. 

Do not get the fat boy bit he's looked great at Fulham. 

LOL!!! Good one. How you got 5 false theories in 2 brief sentences is pure perfidious brilliance. He is at Fulham you got that bit right.

6 minutes ago, Ninos said:

So it's a 10 steps forward 1 step back sort of plan then ?

Well, even using your fuzzy and one-eyed logic, that's still nine steps forward isn't it?  That will do for me.

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

_93663120_martin.jpgLooks athletic enough to me. 

Really?? You don't see a tiny head on an oversized frame? Compare him to piazon (?) in the background. Or does he just wear baggy shirts at Fulham? And let's not even discuss the rather dare I say "metro" way he stretches out his arms here. Diego Costa he is not.

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

Really?? You don't see a tiny head on an oversized frame? Compare him to piazon (?) in the background. Or does he just wear baggy shirts at Fulham? And let's not even discuss the rather dare I say "metro" way he stretches out his arms here. Diego Costa he is not.

Blimey I wish I looked like that. 

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Strength and ability...There's more to athleticism than running fast.

I agree that there's more to it than speed but I don't agree he's athletic. I can buy into some things like he scores, he does good flicks, gets players involved, defends set pieces well, and holds the ball up - but to now say he's athletic is a bit ridiculous. Even powerful isn't accurate. Will Hughes isn't fast but he's extremely athletic.

10 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I agree that there's more to it than speed but I don't agree he's athletic. I can buy into some things like he scores, he does good flicks, gets players involved, defends set pieces well, and holds the ball up - but to now say he's athletic is a bit ridiculous. Even powerful isn't accurate. Will Hughes isn't fast but he's extremely athletic.

Different type of player so the analogy doesn't stand up.  

Excuse the pun. 

12 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I think I'd just make the point that "mobility" and "athleticism" are not necessarily the same thing either.

I'd also say more athleticism as a team doesn't mean every player must be more athletic. He want to keep Baird, I'm presuming not to add athleticism which Cyrus Christie has in spades.

I think we need better footballers than faster blokes tbh. I don't think if Alex Pearce, Olsson, Cyrus, Butterfield, Bryson were more athletic that the ball would move any faster or more accurately. Neither would it stop so many crosses and and drilled balls coming from the left flank. It wouldn't stop us being so dodgy at set pieces. 

If you type 'Martin' on the Internet anywhere do those pair always show up? :lol:

It's weird

There's not enough movement.

We need players who can break; take people on; move into space.

we've got more statues than Madame Tussauds.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

There's not enough movement.

We need players who can break; take people on; move into space.

we've got more statues than Madame Tussauds.

Spot on. That's been a big problem this season. Lack of movement off the ball when we are in possession and the pace at which we move the ball.

3 hours ago, Ninos said:

I wouldn't care a toss if Martin's head to frame ratio was totally different to Piazon. In similar number if games played, Martin has twice as many goals for Fulham this season.

That'll do for me - he's coming back next season so you better get used to it.

Archived