Derby County v Wolverhampton Wanderers - Match Day Thread

RamsPolls

1 minute ago, curtains said:

I think he is very good but at what level and that can be said about all the U23 players. 

Rowett did say on RD he will be looking at them all in training and try to integrate some into the first team training squad.  I expect some players to leave though from the u23s this closed season 

Have we got enough u23s to be able to let some leave?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other thing is the Under 23's played Friday night and the senior team the next day so doubt they would play back to back games and with them fighting for there premier league 2 status they won't field a weakened side just to get 5 mins in the first team.

6 hours ago, rynny said:

Have we got enough u23s to be able to let some leave?

Wrong place to have this debate really but I think we've already made our minds up that some of the current under 23s might never be good enough for us and we would be prepared to let them go.

We seem to trust players who are still eligible for under 18s to play at under 23 level and I wonder if the benefits of all this academy investment will be with the younger age groups rather than our current crop of nearly first teamers? Just speculation as I have no facts to back that up.

As for this weekend, it's the ideal opportunity in theory to play one or two as the under 23s match isn't until the 5th. Not sure who is match fit and available though, apart from maybe Bennett?  I would like to see Elsnik if he's recovered but might be a bit early for Cover, impressive as he was the other night.

Zanzala, gutted for him as hasn't kicked a ball this year and I feel that he has real potential. 

16 minutes ago, angieram said:

Wrong place to have this debate really but I think we've already made our minds up that some of the current under 23s might never be good enough for us and we would be prepared to let them go.

We seem to trust players who are still eligible for under 18s to play at under 23 level and I wonder if the benefits of all this academy investment will be with the younger age groups rather than our current crop of nearly first teamers? Just speculation as I have no facts to back that up.

As for this weekend, it's the ideal opportunity in theory to play one or two as the under 23s match isn't until the 5th. Not sure who is match fit and available though, apart from maybe Bennett?  I would like to see Elsnik if he's recovered but might be a bit early for Cover, impressive as he was the other night.

Zanzala, gutted for him as hasn't kicked a ball this year and I feel that he has real potential. 

I agree that the academy investment will see the benefits in the younger year groups than the under 23s.

It was a genuine question, have we got the depth in the youth teams currently to release a lot of the current under 23s? This is with the consideration that we would hope that 1 or 2 make the step up to the first team.

11 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Zanzala will be no were near match fit. He's only just started training again. Rawson is on loan at Coventry untill the end of the season. So no chance of those two playing. Maybe young Kyle McCalister could be bought into the squad for a bit of fist team squad experience. Everyone saying " give the youngsters a go " who ? Personally I'd say etc building for next season, and persist with the players we've got , who are going to be around next year , to continue working on the style GR wants. I'd go 

Carson 

Baird      Keogh        Pearce (anyone fit)

Bryson    Hughes 

Ince                 Johnson          Anya 

Vydra 

I personally think GR has plans for Johnson further forward , so why not try utilising him there now. 

I'd switch Hughes and Johnson around. I threw up in my mouth a little seeing Johnson as a playmaker :)

12 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Zanzala will be no were near match fit. He's only just started training again. Rawson is on loan at Coventry untill the end of the season. So no chance of those two playing. Maybe young Kyle McCalister could be bought into the squad for a bit of fist team squad experience. Everyone saying " give the youngsters a go " who ? Personally I'd say etc building for next season, and persist with the players we've got , who are going to be around next year , to continue working on the style GR wants. I'd go 

Carson 

Baird      Keogh        Pearce (anyone fit)

Bryson    Hughes 

Ince                 Johnson          Anya 

Vydra 

I personally think GR has plans for Johnson further forward , so why not try utilising him there now. 

Now I know Olsson isn't very good, but you sure about playing without a left back?

44 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I'd switch Hughes and Johnson around. I threw up in my mouth a little seeing Johnson as a playmaker :)

If he played higher up the pitch under GR , I wouldn't see him as a playmaker , he's not a playmaker. Would see him up there for his runs into the box and try and see some of them goals he scored from outside the area for Norwich. 

Personally I like to see Will play a little deeper , get on the ball and try to make things happen from further back.

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

If he played higher up the pitch under GR , I wouldn't see him as a playmaker , he's not a playmaker. Would see him up there for his runs into the box and try and see some of them goals he scored from outside the area for Norwich. 

Personally I like to see Will play a little deeper , get on the ball and try to make things happen from further back.

Unfortunately it looks to me as though all of hughes,  bryson and Johnson are more effective further forward and so playing any combination of those 3 deeper compromises their effectiveness. 

Oh for a Thorne or Hanson or eustace or.......anyone? 

9 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

For me will needs to be played further forward to really get the best from him , that burst of trickery that can take a couple of players out then the clever pass ( seems like the Hughes trade mark move) is electric in the final third or opposition half and really gives us an edge , when he does that in a deeper lying role it's still good to watch but in the main it doesn't open up the opposition as there's usually still a lot of opposition players behind the ball in shape ready to defend ,, yes we have seen will play deeper this year and I fully believe his tenacity in defending is underrated ( he is improving that area and needs to work tirelessly on it) he should be seen as defending from the front and someone able to drop back to give us the numbers when needed ,, I believe he should have a roaming role to cause havoc but the self discipline to not become a passenger ,he reads the game well enough to be that player, played further forward in a team that presses high and closes down opposition defences he will be a real gem and come into his own ,, just my view of course

21 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Forgot he was on loan! But watched him 3 times for Coventry. The lad is a clear leader and very good in the air and passing. Needs to improve his decision making however.

You watched him playing for Coventry three times and still managed to forget he is on loan there? :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

You watched him playing for Coventry three times and still managed to forget he is on loan there? :thumbsup:

yes hahahahaha. I thought I had read somewhere that he had come back. But I think that was Vernam wasn't it?

21 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Forgot he was on loan! But watched him 3 times for Coventry. The lad is a clear leader and very good in the air and passing. Needs to improve his decision making however.

Mark Robins would seem to have a different view of Rawson's aerial abilities:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/mark-robins-casts-doubt-future-12905020

Just now, metalsheep02 said:

Mark Robins would seem to have a different view of Rawson's aerial abilities:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/mark-robins-casts-doubt-future-12905020

Bit ambiguous to me is that. 

He seemed to be saying that rawson won headers in the second half but didn't say exactly why not in the first.

Was rawson failing to win headers in the 1st half or not making attempts to?  Were the players he was beating in the 2nd half marked by others in the 1st?

It's not 100% clear.

Just now, HantsRam said:

Bit ambiguous to me is that. 

He seemed to be saying that rawson won headers in the second half but didn't say exactly why not in the first.

Was rawson failing to win headers in the 1st half or not making attempts to?  Were the players he was beating in the 2nd half marked by others in the 1st?

It's not 100% clear.

I would agree but it hardly sounds like a glowing endorsement from his manager. Rawson was dropped from the starting line up for the next game.

I don't want to knock the lad as he clearly made a positive impression whilst on loan at Rotherham. It doesn't seem that he has done the same at Coventry.

If he can't handle Calvin Andrew in league 1 he isn't making a great case for our match day squad.

2 hours ago, metalsheep02 said:

I would agree but it hardly sounds like a glowing endorsement from his manager. Rawson was dropped from the starting line up for the next game.

I don't want to knock the lad as he clearly made a positive impression whilst on loan at Rotherham. It doesn't seem that he has done the same at Coventry.

If he can't handle Calvin Andrew in league 1 he isn't making a great case for our match day squad.

Ahh - well I'd have to agree with you there.

Lad can't be that impressed with his loans - pair of hospital passes. Perhaps he's mentally given up this time.

Archived