Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, archied said:

Martin haters? You’ve some Martin don’t raters and posters like yourself label anyone who doesn’t rate him too highly at this point are jumped on and called haters or disloyal as he was good for us in the past ,, just a clumsy attempt to silence any opposing opinion 

The point being that there are polarised opinions, and as a fan of Martin and the football he plays and goals he scores then I react in a similar way. If only because I can. :D

Just now, RiddingsRam said:

Again over inflated prices , we were never going to get an extra £8 million , it wasnt a for gone conclusion that Fulham were going to buy him ? We will not get £5million for him now , if we could we would. Put the shoe on the other foot if you were a reading fan for example and your club announced the £5million signing of a 29 year old out of form striker would you be happy ? I' just being a realist. I'e been one of Martin's biggest fans over the past few years, I really have but at the moment his worth to Derby county is quite low.

His worth to Derby is not particularly relevant. When the madman agreed to let him go to Fulham his value to us was zilch because Pearson wasn't going to play him but Fulham felt he was worth £3m.

It's obvious from what we've seen so far this season, other than needing his holdup play to close a game out, Martin won't be a major player under Rowett. However, playing for a team like Reading who are only 4 points off a relegation place and seem to suit his style with 2 or 3 midfield runners, his value could be quite significant.

To say he's off-form is utter nonsense. He's had so little playing time he has no form - good, bad or indifferent.

5 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Nothing to do with his form. He ain't playing because he doesn't fit into Rowetts system. Keep up.

Yeah, so he can only go to a club that can play 4-3-3 :lol:

He is not adaptable to play any other way, if he was he would have a part to play in our promotion push.

It was ludicrous last season to offer Martin a contract extension on big money, what what was the club thinking?

1 minute ago, toddy said:

It was ludicrous last season to offer Martin a contract extension on big money, what what was the club thinking?

They were thinking that Martin is a versatile player who has scored goals playing in different formations, but unfortunately doesn't run the channels! Even Rowett said Martin could be a no10. He's said many things though.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

They were thinking that Martin is a versatile player who has scored goals playing in different formations, but unfortunately doesn't run the channels! Even Rowett said Martin could be a no10. He's said many things though.

Versatile? :lol::lol:

2 minutes ago, toddy said:

Yeah, so he can only go to a club that can play 4-3-3 :lol:

He is not adaptable to play any other way, if he was he would have a part to play in our promotion push.

He will go to a club where the manager will appreciate his talents and incorporate him into whatever system they play. Even our current manager has stated he is too good a player to be sat on the bench. Maybe one day you'll see that but I ain't holding my breath on that.

8 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

He will go to a club where the manager will appreciate his talents and incorporate him into whatever system they play. Even our current manager has stated he is too good a player to be sat on the bench. Maybe one day you'll see that but I ain't holding my breath on that.

Of course GR is going to state that he is trying to offload him, he's not really going to say....he only plays one way, he is not versatile enough to play any other way, he has only find the net for us once since April 2016 , and he has been out of form for 6 mths and he is costing us a fortune sat on the bench.....

6 minutes ago, toddy said:

Of course GR is going to state that he is trying to offload him, he's not really going to say....he only plays one way, he is not versatile enough to play any other way, he has only find the net for us once since April 2016 , and he has been out of form for 6 mths and he is costing us a fortune sat on the bench.....

DiligentPracticalGlowworm-max-1mb.gif.b247cd4fa5dc159ff3c079042f3f11f5.gif

5 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

theres all this talk about Martins perceived  strengths and weaknesses but  surely the bottom line is would he do a job for us in the prem. Alas i feel the the answers is a reluctant no.Thats the reason we should sell now

s

On that basis half our squad from Friday should be on their way. 

You've forgotten one thing - we have to get there first. If and when that happens then we should decide who stays and goes.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The point being that there are polarised opinions, and as a fan of Martin and the football he plays and goals he scores then I react in a similar way. If only because I can. :D

Fair play to you Roy you must have a fantastic memory ,,,,,, that said your over rating of Martin is only to be expected as it was propagated by that other bigger than the club figure Steve Mac ,,,,, born out by the fact that we have not a single club or manager prepared to make any kind of bid/deal that reflects the value Steve Mac placed on him contract wise ,but hey feel free to blame rowett,Pearson,game time ,lack of game time well anything really that avoids the real situation, we have a highly paid player on a long contract that nobody is in the least prepared to take unless it’s a next to nothing bargain basement deal , 

only chance we have is putting him on the forecourt after a massive tcut job and hope a knowledg limited tyre kicker wanders.in and takes a shine

1 minute ago, archied said:

... we have a highly paid player on a long contract that nobody is in the least prepared to take unless it’s a next to nothing bargain basement deal

Still can't resist have a pop can you. Fair play to you for ignoring facts though.

I think you mean that Rowett isn't prepared to sell to anyone that can be seen as a promotion rival.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Still can't resist have a pop can you. Fair play to you for ignoring facts though.

I think you mean that Rowett isn't prepared to sell to anyone that can be seen as a promotion rival.

Roy you live in a fantasy world where wolves want him for multimillion s , stoke want him for the prem ?,Leeds we’re knocked back ? Fulham will want him even though they wouldn’t take him when they had a nailed down right to buy option and the big bad villain rowett sits in the office twirling his mustache and hatching plans to destroy Chris Martin and to destroy football,,,, quite sad really

FWIW Football League World is reporting today's print edition of the Sunday People says Wolves are now leading the race to sign Martin.

I think they're uncatchable so if they paid a good fee for his services I would accept that. But it would have to be a very good fee (and if they're bidding £35m for some players in Italy they can pay £10m for a proven striker to get them over the line).

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/wolves-now-head-host-of-clubs-in-race-to-sign-29-year-old-international-striker/

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

FWIW Football League World is reporting today's print edition of the Sunday People says Wolves are now leading the race to sign Martin.

I think they're uncatchable so if they paid a good fee for his services I would accept that. But it would have to be a very good fee (and if they're bidding £35m for some players in Italy they can pay £10m for a proven striker to get them over the line).

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/wolves-now-head-host-of-clubs-in-race-to-sign-29-year-old-international-striker/

Hope your right but wolves paying 10 mill for Martin is in the realms of fantasy 

12 minutes ago, archied said:

Fulham will want him even though they wouldn’t take him when they had a nailed down right to buy option.

That bit isn't quite right if I understood the deal correctly. Wasn't the deal only to be done if all 3 parties agreed? At the time we wanted him back and he wanted to come back so there for Fulham didn't really have a say in the matter.

Archived