10 years today

Mafiabob

Since my last bet..... 10 years.....

Just can't believe I've made it that far. Gamblers Anonymous saved my life. Thanks for all your kind messages on here and elsewhere over the years.....

Ive struggled last week or two..... putting too much pressure on myself trying to reach the date, when all I should be doing is what I've been doing..... taking one day at a time......

I'm winning..... got everything I ever wanted by not chasing it.....

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Just can't believe I've made it that far. Gamblers Anonymous saved my life. Thanks for all your kind messages on here and elsewhere over the years.....

Ive struggled last week or two..... putting too much pressure on myself trying to reach the date, when all I should be doing is what I've been doing..... taking one day at a time......

Congratulations! I'm very proud of you ?

I read a lot of autobiographies...those with addictions usually say gambling is the worst. Its so acceptable and so easily hidden that it gets more out of control and is more destructive than anything else.

Paul Merson had a good story about him gambling on a sure thing, thinking it would pay for I think it was his daughter's christening. He lost and spent the day miserable having lost tens of thousands of pounds.

Like Riddings - I am a tight wad and if I lose £5 I am annoyed for days!

3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I read a lot of autobiographies...those with addictions usually say gambling is the worst. Its so acceptable and so easily hidden that it gets more out of control and is more destructive than anything else.

Paul Merson had a good story about him gambling on a sure thing, thinking it would pay for I think it was his daughter's christening. He lost and spent the day miserable having lost tens of thousands of pounds.

Like Riddings - I am a tight wad and if I lose £5 I am annoyed for days!

Easy to hide and lie..... I used to hide mail, invent stories about where money went..... there's nothing physical you can see. However you live in a complete bubble to the outside world.

First year or two is all about abstinence, after that it's learning about emotions and how to become a better person, changing my behaviours. GA changed me completely and it's given me a fresh lease of life. 

Mafia, I was wondering, when overcoming gambling, do you have to freeze out the whole 'gambling' process? or just the monetary gambling element?

What I mean by that is, do you ever do something like gamble with your kids? Example "I bet you cannot do 50 keepy-uppies, if you can, I'll buy you an ice-cream".

I see you as being self aware enough that you can separate gambling from betting, if you know what I mean, but I bet some have to totally avoid all challenges.

Regardless, well done. The last few weeks would've been horrific, especially as a previous horse racing gambler. 

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Mafia, I was wondering, when overcoming gambling, do you have to freeze out the whole 'gambling' process? or just the monetary gambling element?

What I mean by that is, do you ever do something like gamble with your kids? Example "I bet you cannot do 50 keepy-uppies, if you can, I'll buy you an ice-cream".

I see you as being self aware enough that you can separate gambling from betting, if you know what I mean, but I bet some have to totally avoid all challenges.

Regardless, well done. The last few weeks would've been horrific, especially as a previous horse racing gambler. 

Don't tempt him

4 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Nice work fella

4 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

We'll done. Things like that are not nice and it takes some beating.

9 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I see you as being self aware enough that you can separate gambling from betting, if you know what I mean, but I bet some have to totally avoid all challenges.

Nah I don't do anything......  First year or two was pure abstinence.... ever since then I've learned to change my behaviours and become a better person. So yes I froze everything out. 

Obviously my boys play football..... and I've promised them extra holiday money for goals etc. It was £1 a goal and £5 for hat trick until my youngest bagged 8 in his first 3 games...... been changed to Euros now.....

Obviously my kids don't know yet about my addiction, but when they are old enough I'll tell them. I will let them decide what they want to do if they want to gamble. It's me who has the problem, my fault entirely..... I know you are well aware about my altercations with the "ban FOBT" brigade and ones who want to blame and hate the bookies etc for their addiction..... but I'll continue to be a advocate for recovery..... whatever the trolling, the "stay silent" because it doesn't fit their agenda and name calling I've had from campaigners..... which I find very sad because I feel sorry for most. I have to realise I can't change everybody..... it's got to come from the individual. 

Thanks fella

23 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Bloody well done fella. Proper strength required for that. 

Just a short one on my YouTube channel from yesterday..... normal vlog will be made in the week. Thanks once again guys. 

Archived