Starting line up Aug

IlsonDerby

idea taken from the transfer suggestions thread. If everyone is fit, choose your starting 11 for our first match in August. It has to be made of players we have, afterwards you can evaluate where changes are maybe necessary. I'd go for...

carson 

baird Keogh shackell Foz

thorne Hughes

ince vydra russell

martin 

reserves for each position:

mitchell, Lowe, Christie, Pearce, Johnson, butterfield, Anya, nugent, 

Younger players to keep hold of: Hanson, rawson, Bennett, elsnik

there are obviously people I'd like replacing.

to sell: shackell or Pearce, Johnson, any/all players not mentioned in the 11 or reserves/younger players.

That would leave us probably needing 2/3 incomings based on what Rowett needs. CB, CM, WINGER. 

Obviously it won't go like this as it'll be difficult to shift those we don't want. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
10 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

idea taken from the transfer suggestions thread. If everyone is fit, choose your starting 11 for our first match in August. It has to be made of players we have, afterwards you can evaluate where changes are maybe necessary. I'd go for...

carson 

baird Keogh shackell Foz

thorne Hughes

ince vydra russell

martin 

to sell: shackell or Pearce, Johnson, any/all players not mentioned in the 11 or reserves/younger players.

That would leave us probably needing 2/3 incomings based on what Rowett needs. CB, CM, WINGER. 

Obviously it won't go like this as it'll be difficult to shift those we don't want. 

I think for me this shows we maybe dont need as much of an overall as some think. The two in the middle are key for me, a fit thorne and an inform Hughes are key.

We have to solve the thorns back up conundrum that has eluded us since Eustace left.

18 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

carson 

baird Keogh shackell Foz

thorne Hughes

ince vydra russell

martin 

bryso sold in the summer then :ermm: thankfully ur no gary rowett mate

30 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

If everyone is fit, choose your starting 11 for our first match in August. It has to be made of players we have, afterwards you can evaluate where changes are maybe necessary. I'd go for...

Carson 

Baird, new CH, Shackell (captain), Forsyth

Thorne, Hughes

Ince, Nugent, Russell

Martin 

Mitchell, Lowe, CH, Johnson, Bryson, Youngster, Vydra, 

Younger players to keep hold of: Elsnik

13 minutes ago, valleyram said:

bryso sold in the summer then :ermm: thankfully ur no gary rowett mate

I rate you as a player Craig, but even I'm struggling to keep you in the squad where Thorne and Hughes make up the middle two, Johnson on the bench as a replacement, and we have plenty of attacking options behind the striker.

Saying that, I think Rowett likes your workrate, and I get the feeling one or two of the other central midfielders will be gone this summer, so I think you'll be okay. 

Carson /Mitchell/ Roos / New 

Baird / Christie /New          Pearce/  Shackell / New            Keogh /New               Forsyth/ Lowe /Olsson

Selected players from.    Thorne/ Hughes / Bryson /Johnson / Butterfield/ Hanson / Elsnik or New 

Selected from.   Anya/ Vydra/ Nugent/Ince /Blackman/New   Russell/ Wiemann/New

Zanzula for the future 

Martin / New 

Rawson ,Vernam ,Guy and Bennett I'm undecided on. 

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Carson 

Baird, new CH, Shackell (captain), Forsyth

Thorne, Hughes

Ince, Nugent, Russell

Martin 

Mitchell, Lowe, CH, Johnson, Bryson, Youngster, Vydra, 

Younger players to keep hold of: Elsnik

Ooops messed up the quote in the post above. Want to see a new centre-half (bye bye Keezy) and new captain, hello Shacks.

Agree with most of that, although I'll be incredibly dissapointed if Johnson leaves, he's been key for us this year and with thrones injury record we should keep him IMO. I'd look at our current squad depth being:

Carson/ Mitchell

Baird/Christie Keogh/Rawson Shackell/Pearce Lowe/Forsyth

Throne(c)/Johnson Hughes/Butterfield

Ince/Blackman Vydra/Weimann Russell/anya 

Martin/Nugent

That would straight off allow us to get shot of Olsson, Roos, Bryson, Camara and bent as the deadwood in this formation. From there, there are a few obvious issues that this highlights. I'd like to see a new young right back to come in, allowing Baird to become cover and Christie to leave. The centre back situation could do with a bit more youth, I'd potentially look at getting rid of one of Shackell or Pearce and bringing in a new young CB, this will probably be one of our more expensive transfers. From there, a Russell replacement would be useful if ffp allows, again this needs to be someone with more end product and probably younger so will be expensive. Other than that, a young Ince backup so we can get rid of Blackman could be good, from the younger leagues and if weimann doesn't return we may need a youngster to cover CAM.

So outgoings of roughly

Olsson 2m

Roos 200k

Bryson 750k

Camara 2m

Bent free

Shackell/Pearce 1m

Christie 2.5m

Russell 4m

Blackman 1m

Weimann 2m

Total about 16m

Incomings of about

RB: 3m

CB 7m

LW 10m

RW 1m

CAM 1m

Total 22m

This should allow us to stay within financial fair play whilst shrinking the squad and making sure the team has quality over quantity.

mumblemumble

Carson

Baird   Keogh   Shackell   Forsyth

Thorne   Johnson

Ince   Nugent   Vydra

Martin

Backups: Mitchell, Christie, Rawson, Pearce, Lowe, Hanson, Bryson, Anya, Hughes, Russell, Bent (although if they are looking to offload big wages then you'd expect Bent, Anya/Russell, Hughes/Bryson to be sold).

Team for starting in the championship     With the current crop of players

Carson 

christie.  Keogh shackell Forsyth 

Thorne Bryson 

Ince.     Vydra.      Russell    

Martin 

subs mitchel Baird Hughes Johnson butterfield Nugent Anya 

if it works then there is no need to change it but plenty of options to change everything in a game. If everyone is fit we don't need much more.

GR might want to tweak the system over the summer but:

FW: Nugent/Martin

LW: Russell/Someone new SS: Vydra RW: Ince

MF: Genuinely don't know. I expect one to leave and be replaced.

DF: Lowe/Forsyth, Keogh, Someone new, Someone new/Baird

There's really three positions I think we need to really sort out to mount a very good go at the play-offs - replacing Christie, having options in case Russell's not sorted out, and a stellar centre back to partner Keogh.

Starting 11 from the players we have.

Carson
Baird Keogh Shackell Olsson
Bryson Johnson
Ince Vydra Russell
Martin

Would like to see us sign - 

RB - Younger version of Baird. Sell Christie. Give Baird 1yr deal as cover.
CB - Sell Pearce, bring in a much better CB to give Shackell competition. 
CM - Box-to-box mid to give Bryson competition. Sell Butterfield. 
RW and LW - Get rid of all wingers apart from Ince if possible. Need a total revamp in that area. 2 or 3 need to be signed.
Behind ST - I'd like us to try and keep Weimann for competition for Vydra, but if that's not the case we need to sign someone for that position. 

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ooops messed up the quote in the post above. Want to see a new centre-half (bye bye Keezy) and new captain, hello Shacks.

You may have missed the point slightly haha it was intended that we look at what our best11 could be with the current squad and see what changes we need from there on?? 

5 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Agree with most of that, although I'll be incredibly dissapointed if Johnson leaves, he's been key for us this year and with thrones injury record we should keep him IMO. I'd look at our current squad depth being:

Carson/ Mitchell

Baird/Christie Keogh/Rawson Shackell/Pearce Lowe/Forsyth

Throne(c)/Johnson Hughes/Butterfield

Ince/Blackman Vydra/Weimann Russell/anya 

Martin/Nugent

That would straight off allow us to get shot of Olsson, Roos, Bryson, Camara and bent as the deadwood in this formation. From there, there are a few obvious issues that this highlights. I'd like to see a new young right back to come in, allowing Baird to become cover and Christie to leave. The centre back situation could do with a bit more youth, I'd potentially look at getting rid of one of Shackell or Pearce and bringing in a new young CB, this will probably be one of our more expensive transfers. From there, a Russell replacement would be useful if ffp allows, again this needs to be someone with more end product and probably younger so will be expensive. Other than that, a young Ince backup so we can get rid of Blackman could be good, from the younger leagues and if weimann doesn't return we may need a youngster to cover CAM.

So outgoings of roughly

Olsson 2m

Roos 200k

Bryson 750k

Camara 2m

Bent free

Shackell/Pearce 1m

Christie 2.5m

Russell 4m

Blackman 1m

Weimann 2m

Total about 16m

Incomings of about

RB: 3m

CB 7m

LW 10m

RW 1m

CAM 1m

Total 22m

This should allow us to stay within financial fair play whilst shrinking the squad and making sure the team has quality over quantity.

I like what you've done in terms of 2 for each position to see where we get rid.

I do have a couple of points.

I think it's clear that butterfield is better further up the pitch, he's dangerous around the 20 yard line, probably our only midfielder who's known for his shooting from range. So I'd suggest Bryson as cover for Hughes and butterfield as cover for Vydra meaning Weimann is free to go. 

I don't agree with your prices you've attached to out going players. Think you're some way off the mark with a couple of them but all in all its a very interesting post! 

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

You may have missed the point slightly haha it was intended that we look at what our best11 could be with the current squad and see what changes we need from there on?? 

I didn't, sorry I just did it wrong and couldn't be bothered to change it. :D

So yeah, the CH pairing would be Keogh & Captain Shack, with a replacement being found for Keogh when a bid from one of the relegated Prem teams comes in.

I'm really surprised so many people want Shackell? I've not seen him offer enough to stay, and I'm going to make the assumption he's on big wages? I would certainly get rid, I don't think he's good enough as he's totally inept at passing, and in modern football I think you need footballing centre halves.

9 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

carson 

baird Keogh shackell Foz

thorne Hughes

ince vydra russell

martin 

Thanks for nicking my idea and not name dropping me :sleep: glad someone thought it enough to start a thread, and take it how I meant it - we have a good squad, therefore any signings should be improvements, and not as many as some think!

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I like what you've done in terms of 2 for each position to see where we get rid.

I do have a couple of points.

I think it's clear that butterfield is better further up the pitch, he's dangerous around the 20 yard line, probably our only midfielder who's known for his shooting from range. So I'd suggest Bryson as cover for Hughes and butterfield as cover for Vydra meaning Weimann is free to go. 

I don't agree with your prices you've attached to out going players. Think you're some way off the mark with a couple of them but all in all its a very interesting post! 

Yeah I would certainly agree with you that butterfield would be able to play that attacking mid role, the reason I put him deep lying is I set up the team to have like for like cover, I'd say butterfield is more like Hughes while Weimann is more like vydra, but butterfield can play both roles of course.

In terms of outgoings all that was wild guesswork really, in the current market it's incredibly hard to say what teams would be willing to pay for a player. We've seen good players go for next to nothing, and average players break records! God knows what could happen this summer:lol:

Archived