Mafiabob

11 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Don't get this "lack of effort" comment

I think Rowett said we didn't work hard enough, or get close enough

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Some of you were talking about play offs a few hours ago. Now it's a massive overhaul. 

Can someone explain how that works?

I would guess its along the lines of history constantly repeating itself in terms of us constantly being totally and utterly gutless and poor when we have a chance , i.e. A draw at home to reading for play slot that we lose 0/3 could list more but I think most know what I'm saying ,,, yep the play offs were a massive long in terms of needing others to mess up but we never even came close today to showing the guts and will to carry out our side of the bargain by getting our results right

Didn't go today so I can't comment on the performance. All I can say is I'm gutted. I feel we take one step forward and two back. It brings tears to my eyes to hear how Brentford passed the ball around and scored four goals against us. 

Oh well let's hope we can take a step forward on Monday.

16 minutes ago, Anon said:

Not really anything to do with this game, but I love that the Brighton performance is being held up as an example of our players folding under pressure. "Oh no! We got turned over away from home by the best team in the league. This is unacceptable for a mid table team like ourselves. Sack the manager immediately!"

We did.

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

There is a big difference between not getting close enough and a lack of effort.

It takes time to teach players how to effectively press and close spaces.

It could also be a fitness issue.

But suggesting the players lacked effort or didn't try to win is wrong.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why is it? What did you see?

Why would they not try and win? What possible benefit can come from staying in the Championship over the Premier League? They will all earn more money in the PL, and thus have the opportunity to better their families' lives.

Why would they possibly not want to do this? 

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

There is a big difference between not getting close enough and a lack of effort.

Selective reading Bris.....

17 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Maybe they just haven't got the legs.

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Why would they not try and win? ... Why would they possibly not want to do this? 

They were trying to win and they wanted to win, what happened then? What was different this time as compared to the 7 game run or the 10 game clean sheets or whatever those stats were. Just bad luck?

The 'lack of effort/passion' whinge is always the first port of call after a defeat, irrespective of who we have played. It may well be that, from time to time and for whatever reason, the players have not appeared to be able to keep up with the opposition or have been chasing shadows. This might be down to fitness, it might be down to ability, it might just sometimes be down to the fact the opposition played better than we did (amazing to think that the opposition have any role in us losing isn't it!?). I refuse to believe, however, that it is down to an actual lack of effort.  I also don't tend to believe that football is just about running around a lot and diving into tackles willy-nilly.

None of this expunges the extreme frustration and depression I feel at losing 4-0. It was a crap performance and we were outplayed but lets not just fall into overly simplistic and throw away explanations.  

36 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree with most of this  Against Fulham changing to the 4 4 3 stopped them coming through the midfield so it seemed sensible to play it at Birmingham and largely it worked. Even when we were under pressure we looked dangerous every time we broke.

Today the 3 just couldn't cope with Brentford's fluid passing and we didn't look at all dangerous on the break so the pressure was straight back on.

I do think Will made a difference at the beginning of the second half but we weren't clinical enough at that time or it might have been a different game. Partly due to Bent instead of Nugent, who had to go off injured. In retrospect Vydra might have been the better choice but he did little when he did come on. Heads had already dropped by then.

Once Brentford realised we were pretty toothless when we did attack they started to come back at us. As we were pushing up that gave them even more room to play in and they took good advantage. I can't believe that a 4 2 3 1 would have made much difference today. They were much better than us.

Agree about the need for a more commanding midfielder as none of those on the pitch did enough for me today. If the defence looks like it wasn't trying (and I haven't seen the lowlights yet as still travelling home) then maybe it was partly due to being angry about the lack of protection it got from higher up the pitch.

Thanks Angie. I kind of trust you to fill the gaps in speculation with a bit of honest hard fact. :)

i think Gary will have learned a lot and this will help formulate how he is going to get the best out of us. I remain positive as this is a typical sort of performance that was going to happen at some point. Better now than when something is a stake

COYR

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Selective reading Bris.....

Maybe they just haven't got the legs.

We didn't really press under McClaren. What Rowett is eluding to seems to be pressing off the ball. Could be fitness, mentality, pressure, naivety, bravery but certainly not effort.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

We didn't really press under McClaren. What Rowett is eluding to seems to be pressing off the ball. Could be fitness, mentality, pressure, naivety, bravery but certainly not effort.

Effort relies on some of the other things you listed, not enough of it was there?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

They were trying to win and they wanted to win, what happened then? What was different this time as compared to the 7 game run or the 10 game clean sheets or whatever those stats were. Just bad luck?

Numerous differences, but effort isn't one of them. 

Just listened to Mr Rowetts interview, he got it spot on, love the way he tells it like it is , and given time he will be a great manager for Derby, but it will take a bit of time, love his attitude and I for one will be backing him all the way, just  hope Mel will give him time, because I will go on record and say in 2 seasons time, with Rowett in charge we shall be a Premiership side, no doubt about it, let's back Mr Rowett all the way, once a ram always a ram.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Numerous differences, but effort isn't one of them. 

“Very poor is the verdict after that. I thought we were nowhere near the levels we were at during my first four games.

“We spoke to the players before the game about having to be physical against Brentford because they move the ball really, really well.

“We needed to disrupt their flow. We didn’t do that nearly enough today and we didn’t stick to what we wanted to do.

“We didn’t start the game with enough intent and we looked a bit sloppy because that was disappointing.

“I think we almost had to come in at half time and be thankful that we were only 1-0 down. We made changes at half time and felt as though we actually started the second half really well, where for 25 minutes, we probably were in control and looked that we could get something back.

“At two goals down, I was hoping we would show the same type of desire that we showed at Birmingham to stay in the game and keep going at the last minute but we looked as though we faded away and I was disappointed with that.

“We looked like we were disheartened by the second goal and for me, that’s not good enough – we have to be better than that.”

He said: “I don’t want to come here after three wins and a draw saying today was a learning process. It simply wasn’t good enough.

“It was nowhere near the standards that we set ourselves at Derby County.

“That being said, we have to dissect every game afterwards and we have to try to make good decisions moving forward.

“To a certain degree, yes we want to finish the season strongly – of course we do, but to do that we are going to have to bounce back on Monday with a lot of character.

“We also have to learn what we need to do in the summer and beyond.

“It would be an understatement to say that I’ve learnt more in that game then I did in the four previous ones.”

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/gr-brentford-a-1617-3664141.aspx#GbXIthQHstu0l10l.99

I suppose GR didn't mention effort...

Archived