EFL Player

FLRam

Those of us who are on the fans panel for the new website were told last year that Mel wasnt happy with the details of the EFL contract for the website etc (all clubs signed up to use the same website template and services) and that the new website was the start of things so not surprised this has been confirmed.

New website looks nice so hopefully match video/audio gets integrated well.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

Those of us who are on the fans panel for the new website were told last year that Mel wasnt happy with the details of the EFL contract for the website etc (all clubs signed up to use the same website template and services) and that the new website was the start of things so not surprised this has been confirmed.

New website looks nice so hopefully match video/audio gets integrated well.

Given how he's made his money, it should be a vast improvement, looking forward to using it.

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wonder who will be doing the commentary, that is the most pertinent question for me - I want a relatively high quality, knowledgeable and unbiased service. I feel Radio Derby provide that, but would an in-house based service offer the same?

I wonder whether BBC Radio Derby will be able to negotiate its commentary service separately as I would assume it's done en mass atm: ie BBC Radio to EFL Player?

A few games ago it wasn't Radio Derby, it was in-house. Gibson back to his RD days, Edworthy summarising and some random guy commentating.

Just now, cannable said:

A few games ago it wasn't Radio Derby, it was in-house. Gibson back to his RD days, Edworthy summarising and some random guy commentating.

I know, it was poor. That's why I'm concerned they might not be able to get an individual deal with RD.

16 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Given how he's made his money, it should be a vast improvement, looking forward to using it.

with the brief hands on we have had of a very small section of it things are very promising. at the moment I dont use the dcfc website unless there is something specific I am looking for, the new website could change that as it is so much more pleasing on the eye but is customisable too so you can hide stuff you dont want to see.

I don't have a problem in concept with the club doing it's own commentary - BUT - the product is going to have to be good - the makeshift v Burton effort wasn't, but i got the impression it was to do with Mel proving a point on that occasion.

It'd be interesting to see if radio derby is not doing the ramsplayer commentary if it's available on iplayer (i strongly suspect it won't be because it's the single reason I and i guess a lot of out of area fans stump up for it)

22 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I don't have a problem in concept with the club doing it's own commentary - BUT - the product is going to have to be good - the makeshift v Burton effort wasn't, but i got the impression it was to do with Mel proving a point on that occasion.

It'd be interesting to see if radio derby is not doing the ramsplayer commentary if it's available on iplayer (i strongly suspect it won't be because it's the single reason I and i guess a lot of out of area fans stump up for it)

Time will tell, I believe the BBC allow RamsPlayer to use their commentary free of charge, so no reason for it to change, but the club retain the internet rights for live broadcast, so can't see it being on iPlayer.

Some clubs do provide local BBC commentary free of charge via their OS, I know Sunderland do, so i guess it depends on how DCFC wish to monetise it, if at all?

17 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wonder who will be doing the commentary, that is the most pertinent question for me - I want a relatively high quality, knowledgeable and unbiased service. I feel Radio Derby provide that, but would an in-house based service offer the same?

I wonder whether BBC Radio Derby will be able to negotiate its commentary service separately as I would assume it's done en mass atm: ie BBC Radio to EFL Player?

:whistle: Whatever you do, don't call it EFL Player...It's Rams Player around here, else you're a corporate spy and not a Derby fan....

I love the Radio Derby commentary. I would be extremely disappointed if it wasn't available next season. Like some others on here, I live on the opposite side of the world. I really value the connection that RD provides with the club, particularly on match day. If I am able to watch the match live (which seems to be getting rarer), I usually listen to the RD commentary at various times throughout the match as well.

So Mel - if you are planning to stop the availability of the RD stream to us, it had better be

a) bl00dy good - as good as RD, if not better.

or

b) televised. Live. Every match. 

But if you are planning on keeping the stream but with an improved interface (better app, better website), then I'd be very happy indeed - provided it didn't cost the earth...

5 hours ago, RamO said:

I love the Radio Derby commentary. I would be extremely disappointed if it wasn't available next season. Like some others on here, I live on the opposite side of the world. I really value the connection that RD provides with the club, particularly on match day. If I am able to watch the match live (which seems to be getting rarer), I usually listen to the RD commentary at various times throughout the match as well.

So Mel - if you are planning to stop the availability of the RD stream to us, it had better be

a) bl00dy good - as good as RD, if not better.

or

b) televised. Live. Every match. 

But if you are planning on keeping the stream but with an improved interface (better app, better website), then I'd be very happy indeed - provided it didn't cost the earth...

Understand your point but be careful because Ed Dawes and Mr Rammage are not that often giving a realistic flavour of the match. Too focused on everything the opposition does (making everything sound dangerous) and wittering on when we have the ball as if nothing is happening.

9 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Understand your point but be careful because Ed Dawes and Mr Rammage are not that often giving a realistic flavour of the match. Too focused on everything the opposition does (making everything sound dangerous) and wittering on when we have the ball as if nothing is happening.

Radio Derby have always provided an excellent service and continue to do so.

I often listen to the commentary at the same time as watching the match (especially when the games are as dull as dish water) and normally they are pretty spot on. 

When we are playing well commentary is upbeat, when we are playing poor, Rammage and Ed Dawes reflect that and don't hold back. That is exactly how it should be.

Owen is the cement that holds the bricks together.

34 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You are right about the commentary , and they do make mistakes BUT compared with commentary from any other source the R Derby  one is excellent ( and much better than the RDerby 'Burton' match commentary ).

I wouldn't be fussed if it was no longer RD commentary, it's no secret I'm no fan of Dawes and Rammage. But, I can just about stand them long enough to listen to games. It would be awful if whatever came next was worse. 

I'd imagine, that MM is going to be developing something that would have the functionality to be able to stream games live, as he's been discussing, any time he's allowed to.

38 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Radio Derby have always provided an excellent service and continue to do so.

I often listen to the commentary at the same time as watching the match (especially when the games are as dull as dish water) and normally they are pretty spot on. 

When we are playing well commentary is upbeat, when we are playing poor, Rammage and Ed Dawes reflect that and don't hold back. That is exactly how it should be.

Owen is the cement that holds the bricks together.

You enjoy the aimless banter whilst action is ongoing on the pitch? Don't agree with your assessment but its all about opinions and I respect yours.

Oh one thing that just struck me as I'm watching the Fulham game; 

The 'FULL 90' videos - do we have the rights to those a few days after the game, or is it the player that has the rights to them?

22 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I wouldn't be fussed if it was no longer RD commentary, it's no secret I'm no fan of Dawes and Rammage. But, I can just about stand them long enough to listen to games. It would be awful if whatever came next was worse. 

Yes, be careful what you wish for! :unsure:

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, be careful what you wish for! :unsure:

As long as its not the guy who commentates the highlights on RamsPlayer. Good lord is that guy dreadful. I've never seen a commentator get identities wrong so regularly, and have so little emotion in his voice.

What's Ross Fletcher doing these days? Last I saw he lost his Seattle job as they didn't renew his contract. Their fans were up in arms about it as they seemed to love him.

If MM is going for a in house job then surely Ross Fletcher would be the number one choice for commentary and not some junior from the back office. He's done it before, got years of experience, is a Derby supporter and commentated alongside Rowett so there's a link there too. Seems ideal for me.

Archived