Attack! attack! attack-attack-attack!!!

thekingofbuxton

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Gaspode said:

That long desired 'plan B' still seems as far away as ever.....

We did sort of have a plan b once, 4-2-4, I used to love that in the last 20 mins of a game, nothing if not exciting. Id rather loose 4-3 than 1-0. 

7 hours ago, Ashz09 said:

We try and not concede we still concede but don't score. We try and score but concede and don't score. Got to love Derby.

Agreed. The whole line of thinking is dumb. I hate listening to mcclaren bang on about clean sheets. You'll always give up goals so it's pointless making clean sheets a target. Yesterday Mac didn't know whether to blame Alex Pearce or the forwards and midfield, so he did both. They should be tight defensively yes and creative and clinical in attack. Crafty on attacking set pieces with team tricks up their sleeve, and very disciplined to a plan on defensive set pieces, that's it. Full stop. Mcclaren apparently can't coach any of these things, Clement can do the defensive thing as could Pearson, it seemed. We need a manager who's a Dyche defensively and a Klopp with the ball. 

And dont talk about "we need to make a statement" and "we need to win all the remaining games" blah blah ... just put up and shut up. 

6 hours ago, Gaspode said:

That long desired 'plan B' still seems as far away as ever.....

Actually, I'd say the way we were playing for that winning run earlier this season was a pretty good plan B - we sat deeper, stayed compact, had less of the ball and hit teams on the break.  We rode our luck a little bit (at both ends of the pitch), but it got results.  The problems have come when we've tried to open things up and be more expansive and attacking (i.e. De Sart in for Johnson, Camara in for Russell etc.) - we're having a lot more of the ball, but doing a lot less with it.

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

We did sort of have a plan b once, 4-2-4, I used to love that in the last 20 mins of a game, nothing if not exciting. Id rather loose 4-3 than 1-0. 

I think you'll find against Burton and Villa a midfielder was sacrificed for a striker in the last 20 minutes resulting in Bent and  Nugent up front with two wingers and last night we ended the game with Vydra, Nugent, Ince and Camara on the pitch. Im not sure where these players were playing but that's 4 attacking players. Is that your 4-2-4? 

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

Actually, I'd say the way we were playing for that winning run earlier this season was a pretty good plan B - we sat deeper, stayed compact, had less of the ball and hit teams on the break.  We rode our luck a little bit (at both ends of the pitch), but it got results.  The problems have come when we've tried to open things up and be more expansive and attacking (i.e. De Sart in for Johnson, Camara in for Russell etc.) - we're having a lot more of the ball, but doing a lot less with it.

and losing

4 hours ago, dcfctheteamforme said:

I think you'll find against Burton and Villa a midfielder was sacrificed for a striker in the last 20 minutes resulting in Bent and  Nugent up front with two wingers and last night we ended the game with Vydra, Nugent, Ince and Camara on the pitch. Im not sure where these players were playing but that's 4 attacking players. Is that your 4-2-4? 

It can't be. Cos when we did it before we got exciting 4-4 drawers and were scoring for fun. So it can't possibly be the same formation. 

Ince,nugent, vydra,camara lets start on the front foot not wait  until the game is lost. Protect back for with Johnson and desart. Hopefully shackell can return bring some much need aggression to the team. Carson keeping us in games all the time now. Hughes needs to regain form  can share no 10 role with  vydra .attack attack attack there's nothing to lose now.

12 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

It can't be. Cos when we did it before we got exciting 4-4 drawers and were scoring for fun. So it can't possibly be the same formation. 

I don't think you know what you're talking about. 4-4 draw was against Huddersfield away and the 8 goals weren't scored in the last 20 minutes. We had whitbread, shotton, a very shaky warnock at the time and 1 other I can't remember at the back, which was the reason it was high scoring, we didn't play 4-2-4 from the start. 

Also what sort of reasoning is 'well when we played 4-2-4 it was exciting and now it isn't so we can't possibly be playing the same formation'? Does going to a certain formation in the last 20 minutes guarantee that many goals will be scored/conceded, particularly in the scenario of being already a goal down and it's likely the other team will just be defending? 

3 hours ago, dcfctheteamforme said:

I don't think you know what you're talking about. 4-4 draw was against Huddersfield away and the 8 goals weren't scored in the last 20 minutes. We had whitbread, shotton, a very shaky warnock at the time and 1 other I can't remember at the back, which was the reason it was high scoring, we didn't play 4-2-4 from the start. 

Also what sort of reasoning is 'well when we played 4-2-4 it was exciting and now it isn't so we can't possibly be playing the same formation'? Does going to a certain formation in the last 20 minutes guarantee that many goals will be scored/conceded, particularly in the scenario of being already a goal down and it's likely the other team will just be defending? 

Alright, calm down, it's mostly tongue in cheek. We never payed 4-2-4 from the start, but there was a period where we'd do that if we were a goal behind with 20 to go, and quite often ended up wining the match. I just remember at the time thinking, blimey, why don't we do that from the start. We'd go from struggling in a game to blowing the opposition away. It was definitely exciting. 

I realise it's pretty suicidal to do that from the start though, hence tongue in cheek, I'd never expect the suggestion to be taken seriously, but it made for an exciting few games when it was used. And now the seasons basically over, we might as well go for it (in the spirit of the op). 

14 hours ago, Alpha said:

Why?

Looks like I will have my way anyway- he is changing the shape according to some reports.

The current 4-5-1 hasn't got us up and we need to try new ways of winning. Why be predictable for the opposition? Why stick to something that currently just is not working? We have players like Vydra who could benefit from being in a no.10 and a no.9 partnership otherwise our record signing doesn't fit. With thorne injured we don't have anyone who can do that role to a high standard as he did.

Surely with all McLaren's coaching abilities these high paid stars can play more than one way!

Archived