Attack! attack! attack-attack-attack!!!

thekingofbuxton

52 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Looks like I will have my way anyway- he is changing the shape according to some reports.

The current 4-5-1 hasn't got us up and we need to try new ways of winning. Why be predictable for the opposition? Why stick to something that currently just is not working? We have players like Vydra who could benefit from being in a no.10 and a no.9 partnership otherwise our record signing doesn't fit. With thorne injured we don't have anyone who can do that role to a high standard as he did.

Surely with all McLaren's coaching abilities these high paid stars can play more than one way!

Couldn't agree more!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

I agree with this. If Keogh is still injured, put anya at right back to give us some pace. Start with nugent vydra and ince up front. I would drop hughes and play butterfield. If bent is fit the we will have him and hughes on the bench if we need them. 

8 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I agree with this. If Keogh is still injured, put anya at right back to give us some pace. Start with nugent vydra and ince up front. I would drop hughes and play butterfield. If bent is fit the we will have him and hughes on the bench if we need them. 

I wouldn't drop hughes but apart from that :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Looks like I will have my way anyway- he is changing the shape according to some reports.

The current 4-5-1 hasn't got us up and we need to try new ways of winning. Why be predictable for the opposition? Why stick to something that currently just is not working? We have players like Vydra who could benefit from being in a no.10 and a no.9 partnership otherwise our record signing doesn't fit. With thorne injured we don't have anyone who can do that role to a high standard as he did.

Surely with all McLaren's coaching abilities these high paid stars can play more than one way!

Is 451 the fabled plan B?

Thought we were 433 :thumbsup:

Good post btw 

2 hours ago, Simsy said:

It's not the formation that fails though. It's how you play it. 

I agree we don't seem to suit it. But for the majority of the last 8 years we've "failed". In all formations. 

No team chops and changes it's system. Newcastle are predictable. Brighton. Man City and Barcelona. They all have the same patterns every week. Shelvey will always play the same role. You know what he's going to do every week. Dale Stephens will always be the safety net of Brighton's possession. 

But it's predictable because they have an instinctive way of playing. It's fast, it's fluent and they know their roles. You can set up to stop them but if they do it right you might lose anyway. But if you're setting up purely to stop them then your sacrificing parts of your own game. 

All successful teams are predictable. Most teams are predictable. You know how Arsenal will set up. You know what system Mick Mcarthy likes. 

I do agree that perhaps 433 doesn't fit as well as it used to. But no formation is stronger than any other. 

As for players playing different ways. We had all this talk under Pearson. You can ask Butterfield to play left midfield and Will Hughes to start hitting cross field passes. They'll do it. 

The idea of coaching is to play to your strengths though and not your weakness. 

That's why Derby were abysmal under Pearson. He decided he wanted to play a certain way and asked the players to play that way. Even though it wasn't natural to them.

People said "he's paid 30k per week he should be able to play in 4231". Yeah, the people he's playing are also professional footballers and if they're being asked to do things they are naturally good at then who's going to win?

36 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Is 451 the fabled plan B?

Thought we were 433 :thumbsup:

Good post btw

I deliberately refrained from saying its a 4-3-3 because I find our 'wing forwards' too deep especially on the left making it more of a 4-5-1 IMO

People always complain the 1 up top is isolated. Anyways you get my main point so glad you agree. :)

Archived