Pearce or Shackell?

Andicis

After current games we have played it's clear to see just how much better Shackell is in the air than Pearce. However, we all know the struggles we have with Shackell's passing from the back is poor. Tonight, from what I saw at the game I would say that Pearce should be doing better for the first goal (on initial viewpoint, not seen a replay yet, perhaps will be incorrect) and obviously the penalty which I thought was woeful defending from Pearce. He stopped playing the game and was more interested in appealing to the ref, which is an almost unforgivable error in my book. However, we have all seen how laborious our build up play can be from the back as Shackell only plays two types of ball - the diagonal from LCB to RW or the sideways/backwards to Carson/Keogh.

So the question is, who would you have playing alongside Keogh, and why? 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mickram said:

How's about Shackell and Pearce ?

For me, most of the danger has been coming from the LCB position, and I think personally Keogh is one of the few undroppable players in our squad with current form considered. His passing and bringing the ball out of defence is a plus point to Derby's game and stops the backward passing from midfield. So imo, I'd play Keogh regardless then pick one of the other two.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

3 at the back.

Keogh Shackell Pearce.

Shackell as more a sweeper.

Not convinced Shackell has the pace to play sweeper? Doesn't the sweeper have to have the pace to get across and cover the other two? I'd prefer Keogh in that position imo. Would you play Christie and Olsson as the wing backs? 

I think "or Keogh" could be added to this title. Shackell for me needs to play next game at least, imo Pearce had a run of form which inflated how we rated him, he's now playing worse than that. Keogh is "consistently inconsistent", always in the team but never solid for a long period of time. Not a bad Championship CB but not quality.

It's a bit too simplistic to say it's Keogh and Pearce, to me there are questions about what is in front of them.

Why is the ball not sticking upfront?

Where are the midfielders/holding midfielders to stop deep runs into the box?

Why are the midfielders constantly in 'no mans land' when Pearce and Keogh do win headers? Why is there no anticipation?

etc etc etc 

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

It's a bit too simplistic to say it's Keogh and Pearce, to me there are questions about what is in front of them.

Why is the ball not sticking upfront?

Where are the midfielders/holding midfielders to stop deep runs into the box?

Why are the midfielders constantly in 'no mans land' when Pearce and Keogh do win headers? Why is there no anticipation?

etc etc etc 

Do agree with you. However on tonight's performances some of the errors leading to goals I wouldn't place on the midfield, but mainly on the defenders. Such as the long throw, and the penalty.

Archived